Kernow GWR steam rail motor

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold

Have there been any announcements or updates on this project?

No - but I have heard that work is progressing.  I'm sure that as ever Kernow will tell us when they have something to tell us - f you're not on the list for their weekly newsletter or farcebook page then it's a good idea to sign up for either or both (the newsletter is much more comprehensive of course)

SRM75 poses for its works grey portrait outside the Gloucester Works in 1906, with what seem to be a Gloucester works plate below the characteristic Gloucester double vestibule doors (which were probably rather inconvenient to use in service). The steps are in the unretracted position. The straps holding the water tank are visible. This is a 59' vehicle, and has a 2-truss underframe The insignia is the early and short-lived 'intertwined' monogram. Original below-waist panelling of course. The fishbelly bogie feels like an 8' one. This is the only works grey portrait of an SRM I know of, and the vehicle is possibly awaiting inspection and approval by Swindon.

srm75-rear.jpg.aa9363d0c972f1da0b7243f21c236ebe.jpg

Edited by Miss Prism
image reinstated
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Did see there was a poster at the Kernow stand at Warley today of the CAD of the Steam Railmotor. Hopefully not be long before we see the picture in better detail...

Missed that, maybe with the other trains now coming out of backlog there will be some positive development on this model.

Might be time to place a pre-order

Missed that, maybe with the other trains now coming out of backlog there will be some positive development on this model.

Might be time to place a pre-order

Probably a good idea once the paper and tape stops flying around at Kernow.

It is a complete fantasy I know but there hadn’t been much movement on the China Clay wagons when I pre-ordered two rakes. Funny coincidence that things started to move after I did that.

Seriously, now that Kernow has started to pump out its backlog and gained experience in dealing directly with a Chinese factory, things might start to speed up a bit. Some years ago, a video was shot in which someone from Kernow was waving around an illustrated confidential document. I froze it in places and got the impression that there was a lot being contemplated. It might be that Kernow wisely decided not to do anything more until some of the backlog had been tackled.

Before anyone points it out, I am aware that delays were caused by the difficulty of producing models of machines, few details of which were readily available.

(Er, one very blurry still image looked as if it might be the Fell. Then again, it might not have been. Gas turbine, anyone?)

Before I consider pre-ordering, I need to know if it will be practical to convert it to EM. If it can't be done, or is complicated or expensive, the railmotor is no use to me. I'm currently spending money on things that help me develop the skills to scratchbuild stuff. Maybe by the time it appears, I'll be able to build one myself for a fraction of the price, and I can make something different to what everyone else has!

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone asked Kernow for an update?

I didn’t ask, but I heard the tail end of a customer asking the same, kind of sounded like it’s not that advanced but it’s in progress, but the D600’s need to come first, before this progresses further, the unpainted EP of the D600 was on display today.

Edited by adb968008

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The longlight length to panel length proportioning is rubbish.

Another epic failure of laser-scanning 'accuracy'. What a tragedy.

When you look at the Kernow website it says "first CAD, not yet complete , shows progress to date"

If you think the longlight length to panel length proportioning is rubbish have you been in contact with Kernow to express your concerns?

I don't know much about these but one thing I've noticed with the CAD drawings, compared to the preserved steam carriage at Didcot, is that the CADs seem to show the underframe with two trusses, one each side close to the underframe edges, however the preserved carriage has 4 trusses, two being further in board. This I found when going through the Didcot news archive about the restoration and there is a very good photo of the stripped underframe, with the body removed, at Llangollen,  after shot blasting and the underframe clearly has 4 trusses. I'm sure Dave Jones, who is commissioned to produce this model, reads this thread.

I am aware of what the Kernow website says and what it means. No, I haven't been in contact with them yet (I saw the graphics only this morning). Can someone suggest a politer way of asking "Why didn't anyone look at the drawings and photos?"

P.S. Rembrow, the underframe does have 4 trusses.

• RMweb Gold

Well, you can address problems with people concerned,  without affronting them.

The pen is mightier than the sword. In the right hands, it's like  a scalpel, performing delicate, life-saving surgery. In the wrong hands, it will kill you, and those about you.

Any points raised should be polite, and backed up with documentary evidence. You can't expect to always be on parity with you, vis-a- vis the producer & expectant buyer. The chances are we know a great deal more than any producer. Merely highlighting the 'faults', however many, will lead to cross words & recrimination.

Experience allows education. It's far easier to lead a horse, than push. 

Cheers,

Ian.

• Like 1

Are you sure about that ?

Yes afaik. Certainly DJ Models/Dave Jones commenced this thread and until recently were the commissioned party for Kernow in relation to their range of models i.e. Tiger bogie hoppers, Gate Stock, D600 Warship, LSWR Road Van and Steam Railmotor. Unless Kernow have altered the arrangements, which hasn't been published. Certainly Kernow have been recently working directly with Chinese manufacturers for the Bulleid diesel and the Turbot bogie engineers wagon, but the earlier commissions were still arranged via DJ Models I understood. Certainly the recent EP of the D600 Warship came via DJ Models

Yes afaik. Certainly DJ Models/Dave Jones commenced this thread and until recently were the commissioned party for Kernow in relation to their range of models i.e. Tiger bogie hoppers, Gate Stock, D600 Warship, LSWR Road Van and Steam Railmotor. Unless Kernow have altered the arrangements, which hasn't been published. Certainly Kernow have been recently working directly with Chinese manufacturers for the Bulleid diesel and the Turbot bogie engineers wagon, but the earlier commissions were still arranged via DJ Models I understood. Certainly the recent EP of the D600 Warship came via DJ Models

Hi,

Then you’d be wrong, sorry.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

The longlight length to panel length proportioning is rubbish.

What is a "longlight"?

Also the ones on the ordering website are of more than one diagram. 61 & 63 are diagram O which is a bit different from 84-99 which are R

Are there to be both diagrams or are 61 & 63 going to be wrong?

Keith