Winston Churchill Anniversary Train pack

Phil Bullock

Hi everyone

Been fitting the details to my Winston, so far brake rods have gone on.

But while they say that the fire irons etc can be fitted on the tender there seems to be nowhere for them.Unlike on Tangmere's tender that has a slot on the top.

Also temp fixed the disc headcodes.

Any tips on which detail bits to fit?

post-1423-0-84407100-1451145980_thumb.jpgpost-1423-0-12180400-1451146008_thumb.jpg

The van in the pack isn't quite right because the centre pair of doors on the prototype had been fitted with windows.

Also, it's basically the old Tri-ang one and whilst it captures the overall character of these vehicles, the crude underframe and BR bogies bear little resemblance to the real thing. Fortunately, Roxey Mouldings has, for many years, produced to a rather good kit that will bring it up to a standard comparable to Hornby's excellent Pullmans.  

Alas my batch of Triang vans (along with the very nice Chivers etched version) have gone to their new owner in the last few weeks. I would suggest

Roxey 'detailing kit' to provide new bogies etc, with the door pack from the same source - this of course still leaves the centre doors, so write to Parkside who will supply their sprues separately - one van B sprue should provide two pair of doors with droplights. I'm not sure if two of the BY roofs will cover the  length of a GUV, but I used two roof mouldings from the Ratio van B (Available from Peco at £4 each) spliced together. By the time you have done all that you are into a repaint anyway, and might as well use the cheapest vintage triang produced donor you can find rather than the trainset one.

Jon.

• RMweb Premium

I've been playing with mine on the train set and the luggage van fits in with the far superior locomotive and Pullman coaches better than I expected it would when viewed from a normal distance. Clearly it is a very basic model and woefully crude compared to modern coach models but on the layout it is nothing like as bad as it looks when examined closely. Overall I really am very happy I bought this set.

• RMweb Gold

I am tempted to get this set only for the loco though and that would require renaming etc as I picked up a second hand one of the earlier 34051 by Hornby.

The revised tender connections and slot for decoder in the tender is a big plus over many earlier models.

• RMweb Gold

OK so can we agree historically on the train formation? loco, pullman, baggage car, pulmans? specific names and car numbers would help also.

Hope I can use some of my older pulmans to make the train up

See here http://grahammuz.com/2015/01/30/50th-anniversary-of-the-state-funeral-of-sir-winston-churchill/

• RMweb Premium

OK so can we agree historically on the train formation? loco, pullman, baggage car, pulmans? specific names and car numbers would help also.

Hope I can use some of my older pulmans to make the train up

And no you can't correctly use older Pullmans. I believe all bar one were the U-Type 1951 built Festival of Britain Pullmans. Not yet produced by anyone.

• 1 month later...

Having received my pack today, I am very pleased with the loco, including the additional detailing parts. The 3-link coupling was a particularly nice surprise. Needless to say, Albert Goodall drain cocks will be added, and Roxey Mouldings detailing pack for the untility van will improve the model significantlay.

• RMweb Gold

Winston churchill is no more.

I have removed the cabside numbers, nameplates and shields. RT Models drain pipes added, all the detail bits fixed and ash pans replaced. Tender chassis has had microstrip added alongside the weight to push the tender sides out straight.

Its now just awaiting my final descission on what number and name to put on it.

The two Pullmans have been sold to a friend and now need to decide what to do with the utility van and box.

I have removed the cabside numbers, nameplates and shields. RT Models drain pipes added, all the detail bits fixed and ash pans replaced. Tender chassis has had microstrip added alongside the weight to push the tender sides out straight.

The two Pullmans have been sold to a friend and now need to decide what to do with the utility van and box.

Ian, given the "alarming" prices some folks seem willing to pay for empty boxes, you'd probably not go far wrong sticking the box on eBay.

May even pay for the loco, I mean it IS a limited edition box after all!  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Ok now I'm slightly confused. Why did you buy a limited edition have th price pack when you could have bought a loco alone?

• RMweb Gold

Ok now I'm slightly confused. Why did you buy a limited edition have th price pack when you could have bought a loco alone?

I got the train pack quite cheap so the loco after selling the coaches was no dearer than buying it separately

Also Hornby dont do that late livery standard smoke deflector version at present. I did consider buying BUDE but cutting the long smoke deflectore down would probably leave a mark on the bodyside. I have already done Bude.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Just ordered the BofB Winston Churchill loco, split from set, from Rails of Sheffield. They are selling the sets split, with the loco at £129.99 from telephone orders, or via their e-bay  store for £139.99. Their website shows the split from set loco as 'on order', however if you phone they will split further sets, depending on availability. The reason for not showing the loco as available on the website, is that they have more coach sets available, at present, after previous splits.

Archived