The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

City-Link in Administration

'CHARD

• RMweb Premium

I think the UK is quite a tight fisted country where cheapness is considered as being more important than value. Eventually you get to the point where any fat has been trimmed off and companies can only cut costs by cutting into services and/or product quality.

I have a lot of sympathy with Mickey's opinion that we should buy from the high street, but for some things that is not very easy. I buy a lot of books and none of the book shops I visit in a reasonable radius of home have the sort of books I want in stock. They can order books in but that seems to take at least a week, I can go on Amazon and notwithstanding that I've started having some bad experiences with Amazon books will be delivered next day. And sometimes the local shop becomes a middle man. I recently bought a new TV from my local Sony Centre, the model I wanted had sold out of their stock so they had one delivered direct to my house by Sony. City Link of all couriers delivered it within 48 hours. And when it comes to models it is sadly true that the days of every town having a model shop are long gone and for many mail order is the only option unless you wait to make long trips to go on model shopping expeditions. And these days unless you buy quickly you will probably miss stuff.

• RMweb Premium

A lesson I was taught in college over 20 years ago as a merchant navy cadet is that we could outsource work but not responsibility. So as a chief engineer we could hire local contractors to do engine maintenance, engine room cleaning etc but we were still responsible for the ship. Ditto in electricity, we relied on contractors for almost all maintenance but the responsibility remained with the electricity company for safety and supplying electricity. That is a lesson that some retailers really need to consider, they can blame couriers but they select their couriers and ultimately to the end user it is not the courier who is blames, it is the retailer. And it is the retailer who has responsibility for ensuring goods sold are supplied.

Unless one has an account with a courier, some problems are not common knowledge. In the days when Royal Mail was a byword for crushed and damaged parcels, Interlink came along like a breath of fresh air to small businesses like mine. I even received Xmas Cards from the franchise owner in Wrexham. The years passed then something happened and all of a sudden the small businesses that the company had wanted were no longer wanted. I talked with City Link and recommended them to all my friends in the model trade. Again, all went well for years until some wizzkid was let loose and we were told to spend at least £50.00 a week with them otherwise they didn't want to know. City Link backtracked later on but the damage was done, as a much improved Royal Mail now had the small businesses back. City link continued to deliver to my home, which is how I kept in touch with the driver and events.

• RMweb Premium

That was a while ago.

Of late they have been using plain white vans.

It would seem that I was very lucky to receive a parcel on Tuesday morning that was despatched on Monday evening and covered some 200 odd miles overnight.

I always found them to be one of the better companies. In particular they provided the service, as highlighted by C&L, that the likes of RM would not undertake.

Bernard

The BBC News website  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30602829 has this quote, which suggests some subbies may have to repaint their own vans at their own expense, which is a double kick in the goolies:

Simon Judd, from Leigh-on-Sea in Essex, said: "I'm a sub-contractor with City Link, now find I have a liveried van and no work."

He added: "They've got rid of most employed drivers at my depot, and presumably nationwide. Just have to hope I can find some work elsewhere, after getting van made white."

polybear

... the timing and almost brutality of the decision shows an  unacceptable uncaring aspect of the system.

Can we please stick to the topic  and not attempt to score political points ?

Dennis

Administration is almost always ghastly, especially for the poor bloody staff. They have my sympathies.

But I'm not sure why people keep going on about it being especially evil just because it's Christmas: this approach strikes me as cloying sentimentality, because I can't think of a different time of year when the news would be any more welcome (perhaps I mean "any less unwelcome").

It's bloody horrible whenever it happens. Christmas is irrelevant. If a business has reached a point of insolvency, the duty of the directors is to put it into administration immediately. Failure to do that can be treated as a criminal offence.

Paul

It's bloody horrible whenever it happens. Christmas is irrelevant. If a business has reached a point of insolvency, the duty of the directors is to put it into administration immediately. Failure to do that can be treated as a criminal offence.

I notice that the latest RMT loudmouth is making a big thing in the news about how bad the timing is, as if they've deliberately gone bust at Christmas out of spite to their workers. If the company was sold for £1 to venture capitalists a few years back, then the implication is that it was pretty much on their last legs then and that the VCs were having a go at saving it.

There have been a few comments about John Lewis. All the recently parcels I've had off them were via DPD who were complete reliable. Including sending estimated delivery times via text message and then turning up at those times. 

I feel strongly that it was disgusting for the Employee's and Sub Contractors to receive such information on Christmas Day of all days.

The company was indeed sold by Initial for £1 in April 2013.

As an ex-City Link employee with 6 years’ service from 2004 to 2010, I must say the conditions were diabolical and the wage was the National Minimum Wage. The job suited me because with having MS and being in my late 50's when I started I was glad to have a job.

I was very much like TJ  (as were lots of my colleagues) and the clients towards the end of my 6 years of service would help me load my van when collecting as they realised my health was failing.  Indeed many of them are still good friends to this day.

My beloved Border Collie was acquired when I failed to be able to deliver a parcel, but went back to help out the Lady expecting  the  parcel (who had been out) by delivering it. Fate I think.

Since this market was de-regulated I have never understood the sense (or economics) behind having a dozen different delivery vans driving up our street (usually too fast) to drop one small packet at one house.  This is one less, but I suspect it won't be the last.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

Since this market was de-regulated I have never understood the sense (or economics) behind having a dozen different delivery vans driving up our street (usually too fast) to drop one small packet at one house.  This is one less, but I suspect it won't be the last.

Ed

Its all in the cause of 'competition', the mantra spouted by all political parties today. Except of course if you have replaced a public monopoly with a private one then you can charge what you like.

• RMweb Premium

Older firm cant adapt to new markets  - Hardly news :D

Im sitll not sure why people Just  Have to buy "Online"  like now cos its vital! I almost never do and therefore my things don't get lost in the post etc

you get what you pay for, and where you live.........

but things locally and dont be so tight fisted :)

Hi

As there is isn't a model shop anywhere near me that would be a little difficult and the one we did have consistently failed to get anything in that I had requested (even though they once were Bachmann Retailer of the Year).

So for me Internet buying is a must.

Cheers

Paul

My nearest model shop is 15 miles away, but I visit when I need to, with a shopping list, so I cover my requirements for a period. This helps keep the hobby shop in business. However not all of us have the time to do this, particularly those who are working, so I can fully understand Paul's comment about using the Internet. Horses for courses !

Dennis

I run a business that spends over £1000 per month with couriers.........about 3 to 4 months ago we expanded our business such that we spend almost £2000 a month with couriers now.  At that time we invited City Link to come in and quote for our business........we rang and spoke to them on 3 occasions over a month or so, asking them to come and talk to us........they never showed up.

Something amiss there.?????................and now they are out of business. 

I have sympathy for the Citylink employees..it seems they will be paid for December's work....but with no guarantee for January or February.

Is it me, or do I get the feeling, our current economic 'recovery'....and the reduction of unemployment especially, is very much a 'house-of-cards?'

Much like the property market around 2007-8?

Are these millions of new jobs really just window dressing?  With about as much job security, and job satisfaction?

• RMweb Gold

Is it me, or do I get the feeling, our current economic 'recovery'....and the reduction of unemployment especially, is very much a 'house-of-cards?'

I'm not sure.  It seems to me much like the end of other recessions where there are confusing signals.  eg plenty of well known names going to the wall whilst discretionary spend seems to be on the up in some sectors.

In High Wycombe where I lived until May, pound shops seemed to be increasing their volumes whilst at the same time posh hairdressers and coffee bars were also springing up.  (Hairdressers and coffee bars are often in the forefront of both upturns and downturns). Where I live now in west Wales some villages seem to have hit rock bottom and turned the corner whilst others are still struggling.

I have sympathy for the Citylink employees..it seems they will be paid for December's work....but with no guarantee for January or February.

Are these millions of new jobs really just window dressing?  With about as much job security, and job satisfaction?

Sort of makes Communism look more attractive.....again.

• RMweb Premium

The drop in those claiming benefit is not just jobs filled but also 'sanctioned' claimants ie those refused benefits or other claims for whatever reason.

Perhaps we as consumers are the problem - we are simply not willing to pay a premium price for a premium product - there are only so many cuts that can be made before a business fails . . . . . . .

The real irony in all this is the original need to 'compete' with Royal Mail when the prices for their services have been held artificially low for the past umpteen years for pure political expediency !!

When you are competing with a 'subsidised' price, so to speak, you are always going to fail, however soon or long it takes :jester:  Perhaps we should compare it with the ECML franchise?  And they are lucky as Doctor B cut off most of the useful branch lines !!  A16>A1>M25>Cockfosters Tube car park>West End. What could be simpler ?

But they will receive any  back pay, holiday pay, notice period pay and redundancy pay to which they are entitled.

Eventually.

Paid for by all us tax payers of course.

That at least is some small cushion to fall back on.

As I know from experience.

Not something I would wish on any body, at this, or any other time of the year.

Bernard

Archived