Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

I've not seen that modeled before

For those who like the idea of festooning their layouts with working lights and their DCC trains with sound and lights. 

Friday night in a regional town.  Loads of Police, cars and paddy wagons lined up whilst multiple brawls between shaven headed, short sleeve shirted drunks break out in the snow outside the bars, the station and taxi ranks.  Similarly loads of miniskirted, skimpily dressed blondes having cat fights alongside the drunken brawls because "Tracey the slapper" "dissed" "Wayne" who is now being hauled off to a paddy wagon.  All enhanced by hidden speakers randomly uttering incomprehensible screams, shouts and sounds of projectile vomiting, accurately modelled using dried PVA blobs and acrylic paint.  On the station, security guards try vainly to protect the harassed staff from a crowd of disenchanted revellers who through their own stupidity missed their last train home.  Meanwhile the last boozer-cruiser Class 150 chugs away at the platform to go in the opposite direction as the last train to wherever whilst freight and engineers trains trundle through the scene.

Random bursts of a specially formulated "Eau de Vendredi Nuit", a heady mix of stale beer, vomit, sweaty Paco Rabane pour Homme and fish and chips/kebabs could be emitted randomly, helping to disguise the odours of the great unwashed viewing this oh-so typical scene in many regional towns of all sizes.

Ideal for the fan of blue light models and railways.....

Tracey and Wayne have set the period of the layout as the 90s. You'd need to update the names for a more modern layout, and, of course, add in lots of people filming the fights on their mobiles. The 150 can stay, but it would probably need a couple of repaints...

• RMweb Premium

Of the same era, and possibly using said planters, a High Street or other shopping street at the first stage of conversion to a pedestrian precinct, with the junctions blocked by bollards and planters, more planters, artfully placed and a few benches, but with kerbs, tarmac carriageway and road markings still in situ.

• Like 3

Brick terraced housing one in the middle with 1:1 scale embossed stone cladding. (or a stone one with stone cladding like down my road!https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Chatsworth+Rd,+Chesterfield,+Derbyshire+S40+3JX/@53.231291,-1.460389,3a,52.5y,161h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1si8zcNemT9FzcQU6T68wGJQ!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x4879850c8933ed25:0x516ec21c2c09f4ba!6m1!1e1)

Terraced housing with some of the houses with windows modified (usually badly) to landscape format instead portrait.

Edited by Talltim

• RMweb Premium

Mentioning taste.  In one of my earlier posts I mentioned that we ought to model 1 footed pigeons that have lost a foot in point blades.  Just to inspire  modellers here's a prototype at Newport.post-6824-0-31017800-1421165383_thumb.jpg

Jamie

• Like 1

Jeez guys, steer clear of Mosques and German cattle trains, just no.

If you want something political I saw a great railway/diorama depicting an ongoing demonstration about something suitable at the time IIRC it was poll tax on a layout set in the early 90s.  What you do on your layout at home is up to you but I don't think anything too close to the wire will last long on the exhibition circuit, it's a fun hobby and a great forum can we not let politics get in the way of that?

We did a "peace camp" complete with Greanpeace caravan on a Cumbernauld MRC layout, it was at the entrance to the "military establishment" that hid the fiddle yard.

JIm

• Like 2

Brick terraced housing one in the middle with 1:1 scale embossed stone cladding. (or a stone one with stone cladding like down my road!https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Chatsworth+Rd,+Chesterfield,+Derbyshire+S40+3JX/@53.231291,-1.460389,3a,52.5y,161h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1si8zcNemT9FzcQU6T68wGJQ!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x4879850c8933ed25:0x516ec21c2c09f4ba!6m1!1e1)

Terraced housing with some of the houses with windows modified (usually badly) to landscape format instead portrait.

In a similar vein, a few stone built terraces here with each house a different state of clean, the rain has cleaned a fair bit of soot and muck off them over the last 40 years but a few have been jet washed / blasted clean, others painted and some left how the weather left them

• RMweb Premium

When I lived in Burnham-on-Crouch about 30 years ago one of the Victorian terrace houses not only had 'landscape' casement windows but were 'half timbered' in cement rendering. :O

L plates on a car done. Complete with a roofsign with my name on...... We did consider using the actual registration of my 2005 black Fiesta, but decided that some g*t would probably clone the numberplate........

attachicon.gifBlackmill June 2009_16s.jpg

It does highlight the left hand drive and lack of people in the car though.....

BTW, there's lots of reasons for stationary traffic and my learners usually aren't one of them............. :nono:

Other detail in the pic - a direction sign to our club model railway exhibition.

Cheers,

Mick

EDIT: pic courtesy Les Green

Spooky, the same class 66 was on the bridge in my version of that view:

Blackmill4_zpsd7c85799.jpg

No learner, just a minibus and a mini driver err.... asking for directions.... or something like that....

• Like 1

officially now described as "turn the car round using forward and reverse gears so that the car faces in the opposite direction"

Cheers,

Mick

Not a new development. I remember that description (or something very similar) from my own learner days in 1984. Contrary to my own perceptions, that was, apparently, quite a long time ago now :O .

A "Banksy" on a wall somewhere?

I did a Banksy on my APA box

post-12740-0-00181100-1421212444_thumb.jpg

It was just waiting for someone from Network Rail to come along and assess if it could be removed in one piece to sell to the states for big bucks.....

Steve

• Like 10

How about Railtour photo stops anyone done them before? or even just Railtour headboards on specials.

This kind of thing

post-12740-0-34058500-1421213430.jpg

40122 1Z37 0930 Birmingham New Street -Welsh Branches Pathfinder Railtours 23.05.1987 Seen at Ebbw Vale

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Steve-e
  • Like 2

Horse poo, if there are horse drawn vehicles, there'll be some horse poo somewhere near by...

Not horse poo, but I did attempt to model sheep poo in a diorama I made some years ago. I tried a few different things with something less than success, until a gust of wind blew some of the freshly scattered grass scenics onto the still wet paint on the road. It gave me exactly the effect I wanted.

I'm not sure if this photo shows it up very well, but it is under and behind the sheep on the road at the right of the junction.

ProvincialRegentII-countrylane4crop.jpg

• Like 5

Never seen a Mosque modelled, yet in most towns they dominate the sky line.

Also the community that use these buildings or an individual that my use such building.

You can already buy "arabs" on Ebay to populate outside the Mosque... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100pcs-Painted-Arabs-People-Figures-Model-fit-Ho-Scale-1-75-Train-Scenery-Layout-/251143002634?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3a794a1a0a

• RMweb Premium

Never seen a Mosque modelled, yet in most towns they dominate the sky line.

Also the community that use these buildings or an individual that my use such building.

You very rarely see any ethnic minorities modeled, even on layouts set in the modern day. The manufacturers seem to fight shy of producing such models, perhaps they are worried about the PC brigade?

• RMweb Premium

An elderly gent in a raincoat photographing trains from a stepladder?

Subbueteo made a set of figures for their table football that included press photographers both kneeling and standing. I always thought that these would make a good 'enthusiasts' cameo on a layout. They also made/make several different TV cameras that have been updated over the years from the massive 'box' cameras of the 50's/60's to a modern camera crew with shoulder held camera, 'furry mike' and satellite dishes. They also make a streaker (male or female) with two policemen in hot pursuit, truncheons at the ready. :derisive:

Or perhaps E. Wallis, wobbling around at the top of an LSWR sky signal post with his camera?

(Reference the E. Wallis collection by Noodle books: wonderful. My only connection is as a customer, by the way)

Edit: I mean the post is wobbly, not Mr Wallis.

Edited by olivegreen
  • Like 1

I'd like a 7mm scale Indian soldier in 1914 rig. It would be a nice tribute to those who came over to help. However, no one makes anything of the sort. I think its only recently that British soldiers became available in the scale. Ah well, at least I do have a sailor with kitbag.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

On Loftus Road I've installed a chap on the end of the platform photographing our occasional steam specials, keeping to the realism I made sure to place him the wrong side of the "Do not pass this sign" notice... :jester:

• Like 3