Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

I've not seen that modeled before

• RMweb Premium

Also, the striped, small tents you used to see when PO Telephones / BT were working on underground cables. Not a common sight now with fibre optics.

Why not?

I've seen at least two occasions recently with Openreach guys working in a tent with fibre optics.

The only difference between cable and fibre is the material, they still run in ducts and need terminating

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

I modelled a royal observer corps nuclear bunker on my last layout. When I find it I will put it on my current layout.

I also had a B47 Stratojet flying over it. I should have had a Russian bear flying over it,there by modelling the last few seconds of the world as we knew it!!

I modelled a royal observer corps nuclear bunker on my last layout. When I find it I will put it on my current layout.

I also had a B47 Stratojet flying over it. I should have had a Russian bear flying over it,there by modelling the last few seconds of the world as we knew it!!

Presumably its just a tube, a hatch and a vent!

Edited by Talltim

Hmmm.... Yes!!

An no lady in pale blue uniform and beret with a pair of binoculars?  Shame on you !

Edited for spelling.  I thought the alphabet was easy until I started to type.

Edited by olivegreen

• RMweb Gold

An no lady in pale blue uniform and beret with a pair of binoculars?  Shame on you !

Edited for spelling.  I thought the alphabet was easy until I started to type.

She'd already gone underground to repopulate the world with her two male colleagues!!

Suggestion 1

My new exhibition layout will feature banking .... coal train enters yard from l/h .... two bankers attach .... train leaves upgrade stage right .............. bankers drift back down into loop ..... repeat for two days!

Suggestion 2

Diesel hauled electric trains on detour on non-electrified lines ... not unheard of, but rare.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1

Suggestion 2

Diesel hauled electric trains on detour on non-electrified lines ... not unheard of, but rare.

Suggestion 2 - See this months Railway Modeller, plan ogf the month has class 57 haling Pendolino, I have seen it done on other layouts as well.

Suggestion #3  Anyone done a signalling transition, with brand new colour lights with the redundant semaphore posts still standing without arms, or the semaphores still in use with the MAS not yet in use with the big X over the signal heads?

Jim

• Like 1

I must add a correction to my earlier post. Tups, or Rams as you may know them, are sheared as well as Ewes, but that tends to be earlier in the year. Also 'Tupping' of Ewes is done in November and the ratio of Tups to Ewes per flock is usually one per twenty five or fifty.

Baling is another farming activity that I don't think I've seen, I cannot remember when it is the year that it's done, but nowadays it tends to take the form of 'round' bales. The bales are made up by the baling machine and are then taken to the wrapper, which binds it in a black, tackie plastic. In storage the bales sag under the weight of the ones above and due to rain fall. Be advised, wet hay stinks.

Finally, although British farming is almost totally automated in the 21st century, there are still a few places where old and new coexist. For example on my farm, we still have the old 'Byre' and tool sheds as well as three, relatively, new open plan sheds. We even had an old dipping station or 'Fank' until it came down in a storm two years ago

Baling is another farming activity that I don't think I've seen, I cannot remember when it is the year that it's done, but nowadays it tends to take the form of 'round' bales. The bales are made up by the baling machine and are then taken to the wrapper, which binds it in a black, tackie plastic. In storage the bales sag under the weight of the ones above and due to rain fall. Be advised, wet hay stinks.

Back when I was growing up in rural Somerset, haymaking seemed to happen in late June/early July or thenabouts.

In a town scene, the little non-conformist chapel on a side street in-between shops. Or even a Church of England in a town centre. On model railways they only ever seem to be out in the country - usually stuck on top of a tunnel.

For the modern image lay-out, one of those chapels will probably now be a mosque or discount goods warehouse. Seems to be the case round here anyway.

Baling will happen at various times in the year depending on what is being baled. It's only silage that is wrapped in black plastic, to help retain moisture, and there can be a couple of cuts in the year depending on conditions. Hay and straw would normally be baled when they are as dry as possible and without any wrapping.

• RMweb Premium

Re baling - white and dark green plastic as well as black, sometimes mixed in the same stack. Or for an older scene a baling machine driven by a tractor or even a ststionary steam engine  Needs one of those elevators as well to get the bales to the top of the stack.

These days sheep should have bright coloured marks denoting ownership. Not sure how far that goes back. I need to check for my own layout.

For modern layouts a farmer driving a four wheel drive off road quad bike thingy with the sheep dog and girlfriend hitching a ride. I think she was there as ballast on the steep slopes to stop it turning over!

Jonathan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mentioned on another thread, a crime scene with an area taped off and forensic officers 'suited up' and possibly a tent covering the body (if a suspicious death is involved/modeled).

I have to admit that I've also modelled this on my old Wells Green TMD!

post-6896-0-17264000-1422357242.jpg

I'd made the scene 10 years ago and got more of a shock reaction that it gets today! You'd always get questions at shows on what was under the tent, we'd normally say it was the last person who tried touching the layout!!

post-6896-0-78183200-1422357259.jpg

post-6896-0-73791400-1422357274.jpg

Edited by James Makin
  • Like 8

By its very nature, should this thread start to get smaller as the inspiration strikes and people implement the ideas? I've just installed a spilled bag of chips for the seagulls to pre-empt any such topic appearing!

I've also got a few metal posts planted with nothing on them and a sawn off lamppost next to the replacement because of this thread, Sadly don't have a car park large enough for some donut skid marks, or a wheel clamped car (bet that's been done though?)

• Like 2

Or for an autumn scene, a tup fitted with a raddle box and raddle marks on the ewes' backs.

tupperware?

I've also got a few metal posts planted with nothing on them and a sawn off lamppost next to the replacement because of this thread, Sadly don't have a car park large enough for some donut skid marks, or a wheel clamped car (bet that's been done though?)

Hmm, my Station car park is big enough for that, plus I have some double yellow lines on the approach road...

IMG_6226.jpg

• Like 1