Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

I've not seen that modeled before

Rob D2 -

Bottles of "champagne" that you refer to are more commonly found in lay-bys and other parking areas, including Motorway Service Areas, and they are left by more than just one nationality of driver.

Another thing I've not seen is a line of traffic following a (modern) refuse collection vehicle along a narrow residential street.

Come to think of it I've not seen any fly tipping or waste to be collected either.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Our former club President measuring up the footbridge at Welwyn North with a metal tape oblivious of the 25kV lines a few feet below! He survived because a railwayman spotted him.

But there are other variants of this that are not life threatening: surveyors with theodolites, BT engineer down a hole or working at a green roadside cabinet (wuith green Morris Minor van if that period), enthusiasts measuring up a disused goods shed etc.

• RMweb Premium

"For Sale" signs

post-408-0-00603600-1421274822_thumb.jpg

For Sale on New Bryford - it's a copy of one of our local estate agents signs - the now-retired company owner is a friend of mine and he's well pleased with his free advertising!

Photo by Andy Y

Come to think of it I've not seen any fly tipping or waste to be collected either.

Shopping trolley in the foreground - the white blob on the cutting side in the background is a cooker......

post-408-0-50505300-1421274793_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 12

Our former club President measuring up the footbridge at Welwyn North with a metal tape oblivious of the 25kV lines a few feet below! He survived because a railwayman spotted him.

But there are other variants of this that are not life threatening: surveyors with theodolites, BT engineer down a hole or working at a green roadside cabinet (wuith green Morris Minor van if that period), enthusiasts measuring up a disused goods shed etc.

I'm reminded of a tale told by my former boss. He started his engineering career in the powerhouse of one of the mines in Kalgoorlie in Western Australia. One day, the powerhouse superintendent was asked for some measurements of some busbar arrangements in the switchyard. presumably he was distracted for some reason because, although he should have known better, he marched out into the yard and laid his steel  tape across two live bars :O . The only reason he survived was because, subjected to such abuse, the tape basically evaporated before he received a lethal belt :D. Apparently the resulting flash, bang and torrent of expletives were something to behold, even in a town then used to rough language and the casual use of explosives.

• RMweb Premium

Another thing I've not seen is a line of traffic following a (modern) refuse collection vehicle along a narrow residential street.

I must admit I've had a bash at refuse collecting in a narrow street!

My old exhibition layout 'Wells Green TMD' had a scene with refuse collectors, using a HO scale dustbin lorry and hand painted collectors, the bin bags are all crinkled up tinfoil washed over in black! :)

Forgive some of the crude detailing, the layout's just over 10 years old now!!

post-6896-0-14294900-1421277701.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

On Loftus Road I've installed a chap on the end of the platform photographing our occasional steam specials, keeping to the realism I made sure to place him the wrong side of the "Do not pass this sign" notice... :jester:

I would have thought that previous threads about such activities (trespassing), isn't considered funny at all by professionals. Surely plenty of cameo scenes can be invented, without resorting to dangerous practices?

• RMweb Premium

On Loftus Road I've installed a chap on the end of the platform photographing our occasional steam specials, keeping to the realism I made sure to place him the wrong side of the "Do not pass this sign" notice... :jester:

I would have thought that previous threads about such activities (trespassing), isn't considered funny at all by professionals. Surely plenty of cameo scenes can be invented, without resorting to dangerous practices?

A few years ago the then operator of the East Anglian franchise together with the BTP had a layout specifically designed to demonstrate the dangers of trespassing on the railway. It was aimed at those of school age and questionnaires were handed out asking the youngsters to spot the figures/scenes were they shouldn't be. Those that spotted the most were allowed to operate the layout.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Agreed it's definitely not funny, I'm with you on that! But inspired by the very same threads as you refer to, we see the hoards of steam fans foolishly trespassing on the railway trying to get that money shot...!

What I model doesn't relate to what I necessarily like or agree with in real life - trust me compared to what I've modelled before this mild, I see this as an ironic nod to recognise the ridiculous current practice we do see from time to time...after all isn't this thread about seeing what isn't often modelled?

Happy modelling :)

Edited by James Makin

• RMweb Premium

After seeing the very swollen River Severn today:

Flooded town centre with people being rescued by boat (but the trains continue to run, of course)

Bridge washed out and temporary replacement in use (not having the replacement might be more realistic but it would rather restrict operation)

Flooded water meadows (after all, that is part of their purpose)

Flooded town centre with people being rescued by boat (but the trains continue to run, of course)

Bridge washed out and temporary replacement in use (not having the replacement might be more realistic but it would rather restrict operation)

Houses built on flood plains?

I was in a shop some years ago just upstream of the bridge at Bewdley and it had ducks swimming around inside the shop! - the water was about a foot deep.
  • Like 1

My contribution to this topic is... Ardwick, first station out from Manchester Piccadilly . Easily the most run down and grotty station in the country with a backdrop of a  waste recycling plant on the site of the old goods yard. Now there's summat you NEVER see modelled.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My contribution to this topic is... Ardwick, first station out from Manchester Piccadilly . Easily the most run down and grotty station in the country with a backdrop of a  waste recycling plant on the site of the old goods yard. Now there's summat you NEVER see modelled.

No, that's Old Trafford - the football ground.

:jester:

Edited by kevinlms

• RMweb Premium

Or I suppose a scene depicting nothing but sea......and call it somewhere that was once in Norfolk or Suffolk.

Bernard

Conversely, modelling ships stranded by a rising land level, Cinque Ports style.

Edited to fix up a combined answer of two threads. No idea how I did it!

• Like 1

Have these been done yet?

A twitch?  A group of birders, equipped with telescopes and binoculars focussing their attention on a clump of bushes containing a rare bird.

A strike?  Picket line at entrance to the shed, others sitting around the mess room and, of course, nothing running.

A cab-full of trainspotters bagging a "namer".

Fog?