Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

I've not seen that modeled before

• RMweb Premium

Sadly it's too late to go on my layout, even though the road junction will be there, a Wessex helicopter on a low loader that hit a café on corner when the lorry tried to turn right.

I might try to imitate it with a tank though.

Track circuit disconnection boxes or for that matter track circuit leads going to the dis boxes.

I was about to suggest the same thing. But given mine is a modern layout, Im looking to have wires to signals, TPWS, relay boxes, and point motors. It will get done. Will post pics when it is.

• Like 1

Sorted.. Complete with headlights on and a (not visible as it's between flashes) flashing indicator.

Reminds me of a mate of mine who decided to check his car over before  setting off on a long journey. The tyre, water,oil, washer fluid etc all looked OK, so he called his wife out to help him check the lights while he sat in the car and turned them on and off.

First he turned the headlamps on.

"Are they working?" he asked.

"Yes, they are," she replied.

Then he pressed the brake pedal.

"Are the brake lights working?"

"Yes they are."

Then he pushed the indicator stalk down.

"Are the left indicators working?"

"Yes they are, no they're not, yes they are...."

Edited by RJS1977

At our Tesco's the disabled bays are often occupied by vans with 'paving contractor' plastered all over them. This is a result of the "As you likey's" camping locally. Thats another scenario I haven't seen modeled, an illegal travellers sight being evicted with bailiffs and police in attendance.

too late Dover Priory has already got them........although he usually shows off the seagulls.....I did show them on AV first BUT not on a station....

there were Davids models which I painted....so can't quickly mock one up LOL

med_gallery_17883_3149_31849.jpg

Does the bus in the background belong to the San Monique Transport Dept by any chance?

Funnily enough I was only thinking about incorporating that bus on a layout the other day!

again....not the whole hog....no umbrellas etc as this was the basis for my Christmas snow, and they are under the snow, to have slush and the puddles being splashed by cars (the last bit still not done) but I was inspired by someone else, just don't ask me who it was....

Jaz's very nice puddles made me think of something I don't see often and had planned to incorporate one day - they may well be done but I don't get out to enough (any) exhibitions in Britain - but drainage ditches full of shiny water between the track and the bottom of the embankment in railway cuttings. 

The other thing I've not noticed is refuges in retaining walls close to the tracks. (I'm sure people do them, but I don't often see pictures.) I remember seeing refuges routinely present at regular intervals where there are tight clearances to retaining walls, including tunnels of course, but we don't usually need to model the inside of those very closely.

Refuges also help break up the monotonous 'flatness' of the really big retaining walls that are sometimes used in model railways as the edge of the (modelled) world.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Does the bus in the background belong to the San Monique Transport Dept by any chance?

Funnily enough I was only thinking about incorporating that bus on a layout the other day!

LOL...sight seeing buses, usually at the seaside or in London.....I dread to think how much the fair would be to San Monique.............and you would need to pack a LOT of sandwiches.....and pop......

Just been watching a Bob Symes DVD covering the overhaul of 18 201.

Loco leaves the works and has a run down the main line with a short passenger train.

No cladding on the boiler or outside cylinders but otherwise all polished up for display.

Not easy to model using RTR as a starting point.

Bernard

• Like 1

Someone mentioned cleaning ice off the windscreen, how about washing the car the old fashioned way sponge bucket soapy suds??? That one could be done easily enough, But i have not actually seen it.

Woodland Scenics had an H0 set called "Suds n Shine" and a 1940 Ford. For some reason two of the washers were young ladies in bikini tops. It wasn't entirely prurient though.

They have many such scenes with a vehicle, or just people, like workers carrying a sheet of glass and a picket line.

The couple arguing over the flat tyre is amusing. These mostly have a 50's feel to them - that being the most popular period modelled in the US.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Most layouts seem to follow a format of: fiddle yard-short stretch of line-station-short stretch of line-fiddle yard, or variations thereof. I don't think I've ever seen the inverse of that which would go:fiddle yard-exit of station onto mainline-long/short mainline run (as space allows)-station approach-into fiddle yard.

Seems a logical way to do it to me, the builder can model the ends of 2 different stations that they like the design of and the tracks 'fanning' for that anyway saves fiddle yard point space. Operationally it's possibly a little more interesting (train leaves station, accelerates, decelerates, stops in station) and it would feel like the trains are actually going somewhere even if in roundy format the layout is basically an oval with loops on just 1 side and clever scenery hiding them.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure there was a big roundy in a fairly recent RM which depicted a maintai line station approach but only showed the platform ends before disappearing under a bridge.

New Bryford only has a short length of platform on show as it disappears under the overall roof/bridge. Blackmill has about 3/4 of the platform on show - as the other bit - yep, you've guessed - disappears under a bridge.

Cheers,

Mick

New Bryford only has a short length of platform on show as it disappears under the overall roof/bridge. Blackmill has about 3/4 of the platform on show - as the other bit - yep, you've guessed - disappears under a bridge.

Cheers,

Mick

they're only really 'half' what I'm suggesting. An exhibition 'roundy' layout is normally a front scenic section (station) with hidden end curves and storage lines at the rear. So only 1/4 is scenic. Picturing that arrangement in your head, what I'm suggesting is the storage yard point ladders creep on scene at each end and become 2 seperate station throats (Leicester is a good example for this for 1 end, lots of tracks disappearing under a bridge, station building on top). Inbetween on the scenic side is the mainline between the 2 places. 3/4 of the layout is scenic instead, end curves with station throats and straight mainline through scenery between them. Yes it wouldn't be a scale distance between 2 locations, but as they'd be hidden from each other around the end curves back scenes the 'viewing public' wouldn't notice and some good modelling compression could have trains running town - country - town without it looking too odd.

Edit: remind me when I sobre up that pictures are good.

Edited by Satan's Goldfish

PatB, on 31 Jan 2015 - 23:09, said:snapback.png

I'm sure there was a big roundy in a fairly recent RM which depicted a maintai line station approach but only showed the platform ends before disappearing under a bridge.

You aren't thinking of Steve Purves' N gauge BNS project? http://www.rmweb.co....e-of-new-street

No I think it was it December issue, Plan of the Month, was on cover, called Tallonstown

• RMweb Premium

The Stafford club's Whiteacres layout has the station throat and the a section of the train shed at one end. Inside the train shed out of site the six platform roads curve sharply round to the fiddle yard, though to the viewer it appears that they are straight.

Years ago Rodney Hall (I think) had a very small layout called Llanastr where only half the very small station was on scene, the rest being beyond a bridge.

Edit: remind me when I sobre up that pictures are good.

Annnnnnnnnnd sober!

post-9147-0-20253200-1422797911_thumb.jpg

the layouts mentioned (and fine layouts they are too) fit the 'single end' design. What I mean is the 'double end' design. Somewhere there was a whole thread about layout design and the fact that on most exhibition layouts the majority of the track was off scene, this is the 'inverse' of that too.

and that's me spent on the subject.

I must confess that I tried on the third incarnation of 'Surava' to make the scenic bit go halfway round the ends but the resulting strange shaped baseboard bits gave my co-operators (and me) nightmares in setting up and transporting in general.

Mind you, we are talking about a small 1/45th scale layout 18 ft by 6 ft and we eventually 'solved' the problem by having rectangular boards at the ends !  Much better than some strange curved quadrants at each end !

Live and learn? Errrmmmm.....possibly :jester: