Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

I've not seen that modeled before

tupperware?

Hmm, my Station car park is big enough for that, plus I have some double yellow lines on the approach road...

IMG_6226.jpg

That's so unrealistic, I'm sorry, but it is. 

There's always one who can't park and straddles a white line! :P

By its very nature, should this thread start to get smaller as the inspiration strikes and people implement the ideas? I've just installed a spilled bag of chips for the seagulls to pre-empt any such topic appearing!

I've also got a few metal posts planted with nothing on them and a sawn off lamppost next to the replacement because of this thread, Sadly don't have a car park large enough for some donut skid marks, or a wheel clamped car (bet that's been done though?)

Haven't quite done it,but there is a cameo on the layout my father and I are building with a BMW Mini driver arguing with a traffic warden over the ticket on his windscreen! (Just visible in the bottom right corner of this picture).

182217_10150092969656205_727841204_68020

Edited by RJS1977
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My contribution to this topic is... Ardwick, first station out from Manchester Piccadilly . Easily the most run down and grotty station in the country with a backdrop of a  waste recycling plant on the site of the old goods yard. Now there's summat you NEVER see modelled.

You got me curious there, so I found this: http://stationmaster.me.uk/2011/07/19/an-ardwick-act-to-follow/

I almost feel like modelling the place simply because it seems so un-loved! :-)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Suggestion 1

My new exhibition layout will feature banking .... coal train enters yard from l/h .... two bankers attach .... train leaves upgrade stage right .............. bankers drift back down into loop ..... repeat for two days!

Suggestion 2

Diesel hauled electric trains on detour on non-electrified lines ... not unheard of, but rare.

Shipley mrs Evercreech Junction had regular banking way back in the 80"s

We had a dead 86 or 87 behind a 47 on a S&C diverted WCML set on Stefford Junction. That layout was built in 1982! Preston mrs Bee Lane has regular pendo drag. More recently Blackmill and New Bryford have a 350 unit on a delivery run, usually dragged by a 67.

Cheers, Mick

• RMweb Premium

Having been a tesco maintenance man if you've got a supermarket on your old goods yard next to the line then in the car park,
Cars parked IN the covered trolley bay
Fully fit driver leaving his BMW in the disabled parking bay,
Travellers transit pick up parked across the disabled bay.
Artic lorries hitting the walls manoeuvring into the loading bay.
All the above were regular occurrences the choice of BMW was the most like offender!!

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Premium

Re baling - white and dark green plastic as well as black, sometimes mixed in the same stack. Or for an older scene a baling machine driven by a tractor or even a ststionary steam engine  Needs one of those elevators as well to get the bales to the top of the stack.

These days sheep should have bright coloured marks denoting ownership. Not sure how far that goes back. I need to check for my own layout.

For modern layouts a farmer driving a four wheel drive off road quad bike thingy with the sheep dog and girlfriend hitching a ride. I think she was there as ballast on the steep slopes to stop it turning over!

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

The coloured markings on sheep also indicate which ewes have been serviced by the ram. He is often fitted with a device (I am sure someone with farming experience will tell us what it is called) on his chest so that he leaves a mark. As for sheep markings when I was in the army during the 70s on certain exercise areas the local farmers were allowed to let their sheep graze. If we were to drive over one, we were told to report what colour it was.

That's so unrealistic, I'm sorry, but it is. 

There's always one who can't park and straddles a white line! :P

Tee hee! The cars do get rearranged from time to time, I think a lot of the minic cars are back on the cartic where they came from, so there are a few gaps. I suppose it is now more like a Saturday rather than a weekday. Not only that, but they all correctly have no driver!  There is also now a barrier and ticket machine at the entrance - which come to think of it includes an 'I've not seen  that modeled before' cliche - I will have to get the camera out and post a picture!

tupperware?

Hmm, my Station car park is big enough for that, plus I have some double yellow lines on the approach road...

IMG_6226.jpg

While on the subject of road vehicle, how often do you see a realistic collection of vehicles in colours relevant to the period. In recent years (the last twenty or so) "monochrome" colours have been the most popular, black, silver, grey and more recently white (the new black). Red, blue and yellow are much less common. Go back 30 years and the reds, etc. were more common, while bright metallics were becoming more popular.

Likewise buses and coaches parked/queuing at stations. Quite often you will see a variety of operators and liveries, which while not uncommon nowadays, wasn't always the case .

£10 on it being Aboreum Valley :)

A great example of a serious layout not taken too seriously

too late Dover Priory has already got them........although he usually shows off the seagulls.....I did show them on AV first BUT not on a station....

there were Davids models which I painted....so can't quickly mock one up LOL

med_gallery_17883_3149_31849.jpg

med_gallery_17883_3149_126404.jpg

the models are extremely frustrating to paint tho.....being SO small...

med_gallery_17883_3149_110455.jpg

ask David todd ...Dover Priory thread owner to do some specific shots, and you can cross that one off, he could add some idiot encouraging them by throwing them bread/left over sandwich.......

Edited by Jaz

• RMweb Premium

Having been a tesco maintenance man if you've got a supermarket on your old goods yard next to the line then in the car park,

Cars parked IN the covered trolley bay

Fully fit driver leaving his BMW in the disabled parking bay,

Travellers transit pick up parked across the disabled bay.

Article lorries hitting the walls manoeuvring into the loading bay.

All the above were regular occurrences the choice of BMW was the most like offender!!

At our Tesco's the disabled bays are often occupied by vans with 'paving contractor' plastered all over them. This is a result of the "As you likey's" camping locally. Thats another scenario I haven't seen modeled, an illegal travellers sight being evicted with bailiffs and police in attendance.

• Like 1

Rainy days

again....not the whole hog....no umbrellas etc as this was the basis for my Christmas snow, and they are under the snow, to have slush and the puddles being splashed by cars (the last bit still not done) but I was inspired by someone else, just don't ask me who it was....

p337

med_gallery_17883_3493_139009.jpg3794

med_gallery_17883_3493_436473.jpg3796

• Like 5

again....not the whole hog....no umbrellas etc as this was the basis for my Christmas snow, and they are under the snow, to have slush and the puddles being splashed by cars (the last bit still not done) but I was inspired by someone else, just don't ask me who it was....

p337

med_gallery_17883_3493_139009.jpg3794

med_gallery_17883_3493_436473.jpg3796

That's the sort of parking you expect in the 21st Century, rather than in the well disciplined 1950/60's. 

Is that wine bar period, too?

A 'Fathers for Justice' protestor

A pro-UKIP march

A Chelsea v Millwall supporters 'gathering'

An ostrich/llama farm

....never say never........

technically these are for a Safari Park, and not yet out on the layout, as neither are finished being painted yet,only the African animals are so far out there. and as you might know Rhinos and Elephants have been around on RMWeb for some time ;) on various threads.......

med_gallery_17883_3112_425689.jpg3964zoofigure

med_gallery_17883_3112_381869.jpg3950zoofigure

myth busters to the rescue..............LOL.............

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

Another thing I've not seen is a line of traffic following a (modern) refuse collection vehicle along a narrow residential street.

Come to think of it I've not seen any fly tipping or waste to be collected either.

p59 Arboretum Valley

I had trouble with some modelling clay, and thought to use up the last of it before it dried out.......

black bin bags, sainsbury bags, recyclable bags......

med_gallery_17883_2804_114094.jpg278binbaggs2

edit= close up I even added the knoted plastic.....

med_gallery_17883_3001_203310.jpg

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 6

On the subject of sheep, I've never seen sheep behave the way they do in cameo's. I should know, being of farming stock. I would be interesting to see a gathering that I can remember; the sheep heading in variety of directions, dogs barking incessantly and running hither and thither, all the while the shepherds bellowing instructions betwixt outbursts of the most colourful language, feel free to come and take recordings, the faces of the exhibition goers would be reward enough. :D

On a slightly more gory note, if you happen to have a flock of horned Ewes, they have a tendency to tangle, especially when their penned for shearing (which is rare to see as well) and, well not being the most agile of creatures, tear them off. The beasts feel nothing but the result is a bloody stump, it would be a simple enough operation, just a little red dab. What else is there? Shearing as aforementioned, usually takes place towards the end of summer, and nowadays uses a trailer for portability, with the clippers being driven by an electric motor bracketed overhead, usually a Ewe, its only ever females that are bread for wool, is locked at the end of crawlway to encourage the others.

also farmers in my experience are great at keeping spares, I.E piles of scrap, fencing wire, posts and old tires. The farm I live on even had its own petrol stand. Finally, as you may guess, a lot of the infrastructure doesn't stay very pristine or even stable for long. Gates are a great example of this, vehicles reverse into them, beasts jump up on them, they rust very quickly. As well, sheepdogs chew their kennels, plastic is discoloured by the multi-spectral universe of chemicals present and bleached in the sun. Barns with animals in them eventually have to be mucked out, feeding and sawdust is often bagged on site, and of course, mud. Believe me appearance is the very least of concerns.

Yours

ScR.             

the petrol pump is still slowly disintegrating at the other end of our field, the petrol tank was filled with sand or concrete long before we bought the place.

....I am going to go away and come back later....love the thread by the way.... :sungum: .....some great ideas.....

reminder to self.....made it to page 7.....

Edited by Jaz

Just a quick one regarding a car crash. I have one convientanly placed over the board joint of my layout to hide the joint. It features a car coming round a corner and hitting the fence that separates the road from the rail

That's the sort of parking you expect in the 21st Century, rather than in the well disciplined 1950/60's. 

Is that wine bar period, too?

A few examples existed I do remember one specifically in Windsor, but can't find proof of it.....

However I quickly googled wine bar and 1960s.......

www.solihullcamra.org.uk/old_pub_names.htm

One of Solihull's oldest buildings, it opened as a wine bar in 1973.

www.coolplaces.co.uk/places/uk/england/london/.../3080-la-gaffe

This characterful B&B was established as a wine bar in the 1960s by an Italian and a Cypriot refugee, ... An alleyway of quirky shops just off the High Street.

....However....I agree THAT Wine bar is not intended as a 1960s version.And there is a much bigger problem on some of the pictures I did for my Christmas event which this was part of....I had a totally inappropriately dated road sign in picture........hastily removed.......LOL...

Edited by Jaz

• RMweb Premium

I don't like to ask really. ....but curiosity killed the cat.........where has the 'lady' gone from the left......or shouldn't I ask.........;p

She's still there, but just out of view to the left. This is a view of the second bridge, taken under the first bridge. Her "office" is under the first bridge.

Cheers,

Mick