Bachmann/Olivia's Trains Direct Rail Services Class 37 Limited Edition

• RMweb Premium

I would like to think that Hattons would get some and other retailers that I and many others shop with to give everyone wanting one a fair opportunity to acquire one. Sending all 750 to Warely would be very unfair as only the people attending would have the opportunity of buying them.

It was Olivia's choice to cancel them not anyone else's. I agree with the above comments, that in fairness we have got to realise that prices for models are increasing but at the same time so is the detailing, quality, finish and the overall aesthetics so for £12 I wouldn't be complaining and I and many others would be very happy to pay that.

For me £12 isn't make or break as to weather I buy a model or not considering that for £12 you can't buy a lot else with anyway so why not put it towards a Limited Edition that is something unique and worth having.

• RMweb Premium

I think they are unlikely to sell 750 of them at Warley either, unless people start bulk buying to put them onto EBay.

I'm at Warley as an exhibitor - maybe I could be at the front of the queue with credit card to max out.....

Can't wait for the ebay froth-fest.................. (Much like the Scotrail 158 a few years ago)

Cheers,

Mick

If the Olivia's Limited Edition 37402 is to be sold at Warely in a few weeks time I have to say I will be slightly annoyed if this is the only channel that we can source them from.

I would like to think that Bachmann would put them on there website and allow everyone a fair chance/opportunity of acquiring one seen as the vast majority of people interested in model railways have the internet and can access the Bachmann site. Whereas myself and I am sure many others cannot attend Warely due to the distance, travelling and cost and just that I am generally busy.

I for one don't mind paying the additional £12 because I have previously mentioned I expected the price to be between £140-£150 so even with the increase it is still below my estimations. I also like the idea of a Limited Edition model because it's something special that stands out from the crowd even if it's just by a change of number or an added nameplate.

It makes you think about the demand for Limited Editions because Olivia's & R3Sprays still have some models of DRS Compass 37605 for sale with working Wipac Lighting. That was released around 18 months ago and still hasn't completely sold yet and I expected them to sell very quickly considering that the Wipac Lighting does work and Bachmann haven't ever and to my knowledge don't currently have any plans to produce any of these Compass 37s with working Wipac Lighting.

I also notice that the EWS 66111 model is in the same position. I again am shocked that this model hasn't sold out as the price of £132 isn't bad at all for a Limited Edition. I think 66050 is also still in the same position which again shocks me because the prices aren't particularly high considering the Limited Edition number produced.

Does make for interesting thinking. In my opinion the demand for Limited Editions at the moment is high but nowhere near as high as what it could be.

I'm pretty sure the Wipac lighting ones are modified individually from catalogue models ... in much the same way as they were offering Class 13s produced from 2 R-T-R Class 08s. So there isn't a 'batch' to sell out

• RMweb Gold

I also notice that the EWS 66111 model is in the same position. I again am shocked that this model hasn't sold out as the price of £132 isn't bad at all for a Limited Edition..

Maybe people dont like dealing with the shop keepers stinky attitude, when mine arrived with no body screws holding the body to the chassis and i phoned up for replacements i got told "goes to show the quality of the workmanship out in china"

Had i known it was also available through hattons at the time i'd have bought through them to avoid using olivias direct

I'm not shocked it didn't sell out.

Theres very little limited edition about a red shed , albeit with a different number, and a nameplate.

It's not exactly a showstopper , but granted the people skills may have been a deterrent

• RMweb Premium

No they probably won't be worried about been fair regarding how they choose to sell this model but I for one won't be too happy if they take them all to Warelyu for example and sell all 750 models. I think that a much fairer option would be to sell them all through there website to provide everyone with an equal opportunity to acquire one.

If I don't get one, I don't get one but I think it would be courtesy to sell them through there website seen as though a large number of people including myself cannot and won't be attending Warely.

• RMweb Premium

I completely agree Jim about the shopkeepers attitude in that particular shop. That's why I don't visit and buy from them anymore as well as many other reasons.

I do the same as you but I buy Olivia's models through R3Sprays to avoid buying from them direct. This is how I sourced my 37602 and 37605.

R3Sprays also have EWS 66111 in stock and by shocked I meant I was shocked that they hadn't sold there share of the Limited Editions.

• RMweb Premium

. I think that a much fairer option would be to sell them all through there website to provide everyone with an equal opportunity to acquire one.

Not quite sure that Bachmann have a website to sell models...........

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Collectors club sell via Bachmann website.

But that's for collectors club stuff - not the main catalogue items.

Unless the BCC take on these mythical DRS 37402's............

(Oops - sorry - another way of selling them - DRSCOAM will have to join the Bachmann Collectors club to get first pick........................)

:O

Cheers,

Mick

I also notice that the EWS 66111 model is in the same position. I again am shocked that this model hasn't sold out as the price of £132 isn't bad at all for a Limited Edition. I think 66050 is also still in the same position which again shocks me because the prices aren't particularly high considering the Limited Edition number produced.

I suppose this kind of thing depends on the perspective of the individual.  I'm a huge fan of the Class 66 and already have quite a number of the Bachmann model, and would happily add to my growing fleet... however, I do feel that £132.00 is quite a high price for a model that is produced from a tooling that must be around 10 years old now?  And in my opinion showing its age detail-wise. 

Okay, that may be the price for a limited edition in current times, but there are far better detailed diesels being produced at around the same price, or even lower.  I have enough "sheds" at present, to keep me going until a more up-to-date model is produced.

• RMweb Premium

Admitted the more original 66s like 66035, 66068, 66532, 66610, 66701 and 66702 were priced between £80-£90 when released. So when you compare that price to the more recent prices of around £132 there is a bit of an increase which is noticeable. But for the likes of 66050 and 66111 these are Limited Editions so you can expect to pay a bit more than the average, standard, run of the mill 66.

However the pre-order price for FL 66416 and DRS 66434 is £118.96 and these are both standard models, which are both in the latest FL and DRS liveries carried by the 66s and are both due for release early next year. So there is a good £30+ difference between the more original models mentioned above and the soon to be latest arrivals. But in fairness these are thoroughly detailed, both in the latest livery and include working cab lighting fitted so it's worth paying the extra money for the high quality model that your buying.

For me at the moment I would buy 66050 and 66111 but there are other locos that I would like before them so they are possibilities to source next year or whatever.

The quality of DRS Compass 37605 with working wipac lighting is fantastic! I bought mine when first released in around March/April 2014 and it has to be one of the best resprayed/converted locos I have bought. The transfers are applied properly and are all still fully intact, the finish is to a very high standard and literally looks ex works from RVEL Derby or Eastleigh Arlington, all of the wipac lighting is working. There are two red tail lights and the three white front lights which are all fully operational at both ends. The two top roof headlights are fitted and work at both ends. The cab light however doesn't work and cannot be used because the two roof headlights work in place of them. This model would get a 10 out of 10 for me. Definitely worth the money.

Drs, why do you keep banging on about Bachmann being unfair if they sell a product at Warley, when to my knowledge, no announcement has come out of Barwell as to what is going to happen to these models.

quite agree.....and even if thats what happens its hardly unfair.

They have stock they need to shift and would imagine they'd shift a fair few at Warley if thats the option they choose, they need to make money to satisfy the board (like every other plc)...very much doubt the sentiment of fairness comes in to play.

I don't think Bachmann will be to upset at having these models to sell, the rep for my local Shop told them that the DRS 37405 is completely sold out at Barwell so I don't think they will have much trouble selling these models however they decide to do this.  They could offer them all as ltd model to another retailer and just need to produce a new certificate or similarly through the collectors club. 

• RMweb Premium

As suggested Olivia's have created a renumbered 37402 model which is also weathered from the standard 37405 model.

This is currently priced at £135 on there website.

Something I cannot understand is the fact that they have cancelled the Limited Edition model of 37402 from Bachmann which was £137 and created a renumbered and weathered example themselves which is for sale at £135. So there is a £2 difference between the Limited Edition and renumbered and weathered example. Just my personal opinion but I would much rather pay an extra £2 for the Limited Edition 37402 model than have a renumbered one which more than likely judging by the previous resprays they have sold will be applied wonkily and weathered by someone else. Personally everyone has different weathering tastes if they have any weathered locos at all. I have a few weathered locos but I would much rather have a pristine finish because I like the ex works look.

So for the sake of a £2 saving for there customers they are not getting a Limited Edition model from the factory but a standard renumber with someone else's taste and application of weathering if they wish. Even with a price increase of £12 for customers I wouldn't think that it is worth cancelling the Limited Edition altogether and affecting the relationship between a specific individual retailer and a huge manufacturer who you could work in partnership in the future to create further Limited Edition models to sell within your shop and online.

The fact that it is on "orders only" isn't that good either seen as they were supposed to have the Limited Edition 37402 for sale a few weeks ago now and even there own version still cannot be bought today and you have to place an order for it and wait yet again.

Archived