Bachmann/Olivia's Trains Direct Rail Services Class 37 Limited Edition

• RMweb Premium

they've offered a hand finished example instead.

Which they will probably charge more than £160 for. I honestly don't know how Olivia's stay in business with their prices. I was going to purchase a loco from them, only to be told they don't remove VAT from international orders. Is this legal for them to not do?

they don't remove VAT from international orders. Is this legal for them to not do?

Yes. It's illegal for them not to charge it on orders within the EU, but whilst  they don't have to charge it on international orders they don't have to refund it either. They may take the view that the admin required to separate the two types of orders is not worth the effort.

Oh well Bachmanns loss. Maybe they will reconsider

Id actually say its Olivia's lost. Most people accept that there are price increases and given the way in which the market is heading such prices have increased and seem to be levelling out. I'm not sure if Bachmann have had a similar effect given the flow of their goods to market has been delayed and distrupted more than others recently. 

But I think most people would still want to get the genuine limited edition. People would still pay for it and can still get them even if there are more of them available and you can shop around to get what you want. These two 37s will doubtless still prove popular, and given the delays to other 37s wanted, I can see 37402 being snapped up given people will have been able to save money asside for engines they know are due. This could damage the relationship between Olivias and Bachmann, especially to a point where Bachmann no longer to any Limited editions for Olivia's, or no longer supply them afterwards. I know some shops have had a fraught relationship with Barwell in the past, but expect this to be due to the shop as well. 

I think they could either be made available from Bachmann, or even get sent over to box shifters who will no doubt shift them.... either way, I suspect some might be interested in them now, precisely because you no longer have to get them from Olivias when they do arrive here. 

I honestly do not see the issue with £137....when compared to similar new models (I am thinking Hornby 31) it is a reasonable price in a upward market.

I suspect these shall become available on the Collectors Club now? I cannot see Bachmann giving them at discount to the boxshifters as I am sure the whole 750 shall sell in a flash!

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if low pre-orders played a part in the decision?

The email specifically said due to Olivia's being informed of the price rise AFTER the models had been shipped already.

I can't see Olivia's being able to cancel a limited edition it commissioned because of low pre-orders, that is a risk an retailer takes when commissioning limited editions. But it could be a factor when being told by Bachmann of the price rise at such a late stage. It really depends on their contractual arrangements, but if I ordered a certain number of a product and were quoted a price for them, I would expect to have a get out clause in the event the supplier put the price up.

That being said, I agree with others that a 12 quid price rise is not that much to deter buyers. But has the standard range 37405 gone up in price too? In principle it should have. It's showing as £119.95 on the Bachmann website now but what was it back in January when Olivias announced their 37402?

• RMweb Gold

Just had email from Hattons saying that Bachmann Branchline 32-370 Class 37/4 diesel 37405 in DRS Compass livery is due in stock on Monday at for £101.96. Not sure how that relates to alleged price rises, unless Hattons change the price on Monday!

• RMweb Premium

The standard Bachmann DRS Compass 37405 has always been priced at £101.96 on Hattons website since advertised several months ago. It's good to hear that it is due into stock on Monday. I wonder where and how the Limited Edition Compass 37402 will be sold? I would really like this model especially with it been a Limited Edition.

Still if I don't manage to source a Limited Edition model of 37402 a 37405 model could always be renumbered.

• RMweb Premium

The first price on 37402 was £125. Then it was increased to £132 and now £137. I wouldn't have minded paying the additional £12 as I am sure many others wouldn't have either so I am unsure as to why Olivia's think that the model wouldn't sell. My first thoughts on the price was that it would be between £140-£150. In that case the new price of £137 is still below what I thought originally.

Both of thses are 37 405 & not the model Olivia was having made which was 37 402

• RMweb Premium

Yes I was very surprised to see that the standard Bachmann 37405 has made it to Ebay before most of the retailers have got them.

Although this isn't the Limited Edition 37402 which Olivia's commissioned Bachmann to produce.

I haven't seen a model of 37402 for sale anywhere as yet so it will be interesting to see how Bachmann decide to sell them. It could possibly be through there website, through the collectors club, or possibly disperse them to a few retailers to sell them off. Going to be very interesting to see what happens...

Yes I was very surprised to see that the standard Bachmann 37405 has made it to Ebay before most of the retailers have got them.

Although this isn't the Limited Edition 37402 which Olivia's commissioned Bachmann to produce.

I haven't seen a model of 37402 for sale anywhere as yet so it will be interesting to see how Bachmann decide to sell them. It could possibly be through there website, through the collectors club, or possibly disperse them to a few retailers to sell them off. Going to be very interesting to see what happens...

Don't forget that there's a certain rather large modelling event coming up within the next two weekends time.

Bachmann usually have a stand at Warley where they usually sell stuff off at - Perhaps they could be keeping some back for that?

• RMweb Premium

The arrangement between Olivia's and Bachmann will presumably have been subject to a contract, and it is just speculation as to what that contract would have included. I suspect that the cost of the models probably included some sort of escalator clause which would also allow Olivia's to cancel without incurring a penalty but that is just speculation too. If that was the case I'm not sure it'd preclude Olivia's ordering future limited edition exclusives from Bachmann. Either way the models will appear somewhere.

Most people accept that there are price increases...

I think most people would still want to get the genuine limited edition. People would still pay for it...

This could damage the relationship between Olivias and Bachmann, especially to a point where Bachmann no longer to any Limited editions for Olivia's, or no longer supply them afterwards...

Hmmm, I'm not so sure of the first statement here, especially judging by the constant stream of topics on these forums griping over said price increases?

The remaining comments are pure speculation and presumably Olivias, and indeed any other retailer, will know their own customer base, the current trends toward spending in relation to prices, in addition to the market for limited editions, far better then you or I.  As such, anything you or I may guess at with regard to "People would still pay for it" is just that, ie. guesswork.  After all, there are quite a few limited editions that appear to still be "on the shelf" long after their original release.

I'm not a great conspiracy theorist , but until these surface elsewhere I'd be sceptical.

The price wasn't massive, they already had preorders ( how many ), but the number was very similar to the one Bachmann are doing. Surely olivias would have to lay down a large deposit anyway.

• RMweb Premium

If the Olivia's Limited Edition 37402 is to be sold at Warely in a few weeks time I have to say I will be slightly annoyed if this is the only channel that we can source them from.

I would like to think that Bachmann would put them on there website and allow everyone a fair chance/opportunity of acquiring one seen as the vast majority of people interested in model railways have the internet and can access the Bachmann site. Whereas myself and I am sure many others cannot attend Warely due to the distance, travelling and cost and just that I am generally busy.

I for one don't mind paying the additional £12 because I have previously mentioned I expected the price to be between £140-£150 so even with the increase it is still below my estimations. I also like the idea of a Limited Edition model because it's something special that stands out from the crowd even if it's just by a change of number or an added nameplate.

It makes you think about the demand for Limited Editions because Olivia's & R3Sprays still have some models of DRS Compass 37605 for sale with working Wipac Lighting. That was released around 18 months ago and still hasn't completely sold yet and I expected them to sell very quickly considering that the Wipac Lighting does work and Bachmann haven't ever and to my knowledge don't currently have any plans to produce any of these Compass 37s with working Wipac Lighting.

I also notice that the EWS 66111 model is in the same position. I again am shocked that this model hasn't sold out as the price of £132 isn't bad at all for a Limited Edition. I think 66050 is also still in the same position which again shocks me because the prices aren't particularly high considering the Limited Edition number produced.

Does make for interesting thinking. In my opinion the demand for Limited Editions at the moment is high but nowhere near as high as what it could be.

Archived