Bachmann/Olivia's Trains Direct Rail Services Class 37 Limited Edition

• RMweb Premium

Also says expected January/February 2016.

Really pleased to hear that this model will finally be available to buy soon considering that it was originally due to arrive at Olivia's in April/May 2015 and then it was cancelled towards the end of the year when the models were dispatched from the factory and were in transit.

Although 37402 is now in large logo livery I am still going to acquire this model with it been a Limited Edition.

If I want a large logo 37 to work as part of my DRS fleet I could have a 37401 repainted.

Thoroughly looking forward to this model been released.

• RMweb Premium

37402 & 37418 are both Limited Edition to 750 models.

So yes an additional £38 or so but you are getting something a little bit more special and if you want another DRS Compass 37/4 to run with 37405 as a ready to run model and you haven't acquired the Model Rail 37409 then this is an ideal opportunity to make a pair.

• RMweb Premium

I can see if from your point of view as well.

Yes £36 or so for the changing of one digit six times on one loco is quite expensive although this is the case for a lot of Limited Editions.

A few other examples could be EWS 66050 and 66111. I have neither of these at the moment but the price difference is about the same when comparing to other EWS/DB Red 66s.

I suppose it's just down to the individual and what they want and what they expect for there money. Granted £36 is a lot as already stated although as mentioned previously it's an ideal candidate to run with Compass 405 and/or 409 if you have already acquired one of these. These can be used with Bachmann Nuclear Flasks (FNAs), Network Rail coaches, coaches for passenger work and charter trains and many other wagons and rolling stock.

It's actually two pound cheaper than Kernow's own limited edition 37672 in Railfreight Distribution, which has just arrived. Thought that was expensive as well.

Yep, I wont be going for that either as I think it is overpriced in comparison to production run class 37s but at least it is significantly different to them.

You expect to pay a premium for a limited edition model but the delta between production models seems to be ever increasing.

I wonder how sustainable the limited edition market will become if this pricing policy persists. Look at the latest Collectors Club model. Nearly £100 for an 08 with p&p. My guess is it wont be selling well at that price.

How do Kernow have 750 models to sell, if the attached post  , regarding Olivias orders ,are honoured by Bachmann

Reference the above post, quote taken from the email i received from Olivia's Trains about the DRS 37s

'Dear Valued Customer

I am sorry to announce that we have cancelled our Limited Edition Class 37’s with Bachmann.

The Reason for this was a RRP increase from £125.95 to £137.95.

This was only indicated to us at the departing of these Loco’s from China with no prior notification of any increase, I thought I was unable to accept such a increase and this is the only reason for the cancelation.

I have spoken with Bachmann on the 2nd November and they will let me know how and when these models will be released for sale in the near future, we have had an assurance from them that if these are made available to retailers they will supply Olivia’s with all our outstanding orders and we will then honour the original £125.95 you pre-ordered them at.'

As this suggests, they have been made and are probably just sat at Barwell until such a time when Bachmann offers them to retailers

I got a renumbered one into 402 from 405 and then a standard 405 as well in a twin sleeve.

Thanks

M

Why are these £138 when other forthcoming class 37s are £102 on Kernows site? Where's the added value?

Remember that catalogue products can have up to 15% knocked of the recommended retail price and RRP for the class 37 is £119.95 so limited editions will always have a slightly higher price than that, plus they don't usually have any discount off them unless they don't sell.

Also is there any news who's got 37418

37402 & 37418 are both Limited Edition to 750 models.

So yes an additional £38 or so but you are getting something a little bit more special and if you want another DRS Compass 37/4 to run with 37405 as a ready to run model and you haven't acquired the Model Rail 37409 then this is an ideal opportunity to make a pair.

I'd quite happily renumber 37405 to 37402 for a lot less than £38.....

And given most recent limited edition haven't even had a certificate, etched nameplates etc not sure what makes them special

The DRS livery is out of date now anyway, the real 37402 is in large logo livery.

But if your layout is set in, for example, 2015 (rather than January 2016) then 37402 in DRS Compass is correct. Regardless of what the prototype looks like now, the model is a representation of the locomotive in a livery it has carried. Try telling a steam enthusiast that because a livery isn't 'current' it won't sell!

Ed

• RMweb Premium

When you put it like that then yes it is slightly expensive although it might come with a Limited Edition certificate. My Bachmann DRS Compass 37605 which was an Olivia's & R3SPrays Limited Edition model came with a certificate. Even if 37402 doesn't come with one it's another very smart looking DRS loco.

I completely agree. Although 402 now carries large logo livery the Compass livery is still very recent. It was still out and about in traffic in December 2015 so a few weeks doesn't mean that it isn't current at all, it just means it is slightly out of date but still very useful and good for any modern image layout.

Besides it wouldn't surprise me if 37401 in large logo isn't produced by Bachmann in the near future or if a retailer don't commission them to make it. Alternatively you could have a 401 repainted.

I do generally like to be as current as possible but take the ViTrains five Rail Exclusive DRS & NB Class 47s. These were released in December 2014 but yet by December 2015 they were all stored and out of service. A year or less can make a massive difference as to if the loco is in active traffic, stored, sold or in a different livery. These five are very special though so I won't be selling them even if they are slightly outdated because they all ran around and worn those liveries for many years.

There are just too many livery changes nowadays to enable manufacturers to get the liveries right at the appropriate times. On the other hand if 402 had been released by Olivia's as previously expected in April/May 2015 it would have been current at that time until January 2016 when it has been repainted. No doubt more people would have bought it then as opposed to now because it was current and as up to date as possible at the time although now it isn't but only by a few weeks.

You win some you lose some I suppose.

• RMweb Premium

A quick Q regarding 37405 (and presumably 37402)

From the pictures, I can't tell if the DRS multi socket on the front (to the left of the headlight) is moulded or printed detail.

Can anyone that has a 37405 confirm please?

Cheers,

Mick

Re the limited edition certificates, if indeed the loco's were to come with them, would they still be in the included in the loco box as I'm guessing they will say 'Olivia's limited edition' on them somewhere?

Would Bachmann/Olivia's/other retailers allow or be happy with the original retailers name on the certificates, or would they be discarded, or indeed it wouldn't be a problem? Again that's if they have certificates at all.

Archived