RMweb

Loco Hauled services to return to Cumbrian Coast

• RMweb Gold

The limited stop S&C services eg 0947 Leeds - Carlisle has 8 stops in 150 miutes is one stop every 18.75 minutes. That would be far more suitable for the loco hauled services. Unlike dmus, the loco hauled sets don’t have power operated doors, so fewer stops means less delays caused by passengers leaving the doors open.

However there is only 1 ltd stop service each way (out of 7), so I don't see how that would free up a DMU diagram, which is the aim of the exercise.

• RMweb Gold

Brrrrr - no ETH

I think you will find that it is an ETH fitted loco, it also carries its old number 37424. Of course that does not mean the supply is functional but the loco should be capable of providing electric supply!

I think you will find that it is an ETH fitted loco, it also carries its old number 37424. Of course that does not mean the supply is functional but the loco should be capable of providing electric supply!

Doh, forgot they renumbered it according to it's namesake.

Much preferred it when numbers actually meant what they did under BR, getting old.

The limited stop S&C services eg 0947 Leeds - Carlisle has 8 stops in 150 miutes is one stop every 18.75 minutes. That would be far more suitable for the loco hauled services. Unlike dmus, the loco hauled sets don’t have power operated doors, so fewer stops means less delays caused by passengers leaving the doors open.

Of course, going over the S&C, would have probably doubled the crank quotient and needed eight coaches to satisfy the demand.

They would have been turning up from miles around.

• RMweb Premium

Every time I’ve travelled on the Cumbrian 37s there have been a fair number of enthusiasts on board - sometimes filling the first coach. All that thrashing away from stations may not be good for the locos, but its good for our ears!

• RMweb Premium

Of course, going over the S&C, would have probably doubled the crank quotient and needed eight coaches to satisfy the demand.

They would have been turning up from miles around.

And all paying their fare... From the TOC's point of view surely it's filling trains that matters, whether they're tourists, commuters, enthusiasts, shoppers, all the same to them.

I did it for the first time on Tuesday, and the rumours seemed to be that they would run 1 set with 2 class 68s top and tail with Kingmoor drivers, with the intention of using 2 68s on both sets by the end of May.

Chatting to one Northern driver, he said he was relectant to use 68s because it only has one seat in the middle, meaning he would have to get out of his seat before depating to check doors.

Another paoint raised was that DRS may not have many 68s spare when the TPE contract gets going, especially now 68s have almost completley taken over all flask duties and many departmental trains?

Some pics from Tuesday - 37424 (558) and 37403 running.

post-27529-0-48868100-1515107256_thumb.jpg

post-27529-0-35967000-1515107536_thumb.jpg

post-27529-0-32282600-1515107537_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday’s 1004 seemed to have lots of enthusiasts in the first coach.

There are reports of a landslip between Barrow and Carlisle delaying services by around 20 mins. This is likely to disrupt services a fair bit as the loco hauled sets have less than that at each end, plus the single track sections.

And so it begins. Driver training today on the 68's. 68029 leading and 68003 on the rear of the 0748 Carlisle Kingmoor to Carnforth D&UGL

JrG1N0.jpg

3zqyff.jpg

Granted, not the best photos, but the sun did not want to play!

Ian

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Wow, thanks for posting. Looking at the coach formations, is that a BSO behind the DBSO? If there were 2 normal 37 sets running around that day, is that the spare set?

Edit: looks like the BSO used for guards on MOD flasks - no light blue doors https://www.flickr.com/photos/britishrail1980sand1990s/27801535489/

Looks like 37s didn't run due to Northern strike.

Going OT.

It's not 9419/9428. It's one of the "newer" pair that worked as runners on the Far North line to spread the weight of the Georgemas/Dounreay trains.

Looks like either 9506 or 9508

https://www.flickr.com/photos/thejamstertrains/35846448686/

From a flickr search -  Mark 2F DBSO 9707, Mark 2E BSO 9506 and Mark 2F Open Standard 6001

Cheers,

MIck

Edited by newbryford

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/Dismay-for-South-Cumbria-as-MP-says-no-train-upgrades-until-December-2019-3f0a5e5f-9071-4b36-b3fc-05671b45913e-ds

Looks like we've got 37s until 2019 when the new CAF stuff arrives. Northern have also confirmed on twitter.

Good news for us cranks and good news for those of us that believed a top and tail operation (involving brand new over powered locomotives) was just plain silly for a service like the Cumbrian Coast.

Why don't they just get a grip with any reliability issues that were prevalent with the class 37s, over this line and for whatever reason, it's not like the class 37s have ever been renowned for their unreliability under any circumstances.

• RMweb Gold

Why don't they just get a grip with any reliability issues that were prevalent with the class 37s, over this line and for whatever reason, it's not like the class 37s have ever been renowned for their unreliability under any circumstances.

The issues that cause delays are far wider than just problems with the 37's. For example

Northern crew are unfamiliar with and don't like loco hauled operation making them prone to calling failures for marginal problems 

the rolling stock is also dated and prone to fail, particularly the DBSO's

the cumbrian line is in need of repairs and upgrading

I am sure there are other less well publicised issues. Put them all together and you end up with a problematic service 

The issues that cause delays are far wider than just problems with the 37's. For example

Northern crew are unfamiliar with and don't like loco hauled operation making them prone to calling failures for marginal problems  like

I am sure there are other less well publicised issues. Put them all together and you end up with a problematic service 

If it's broken it's broken. The last 37 failure was on Jan 24th - loco earth fault, taken out of service on Control's instructions after speaking to the DRS fitter. Since then there have been 2 DMU failures on the same route, 3 if you count the same 153 failing twice in one day. Any fault on any unit on the Cumbrian Coast is potentially a cancellation as there simply isn't stuff lying around that can be stepped up like there is elsewhere. The place isn't exactly knee deep in under-employed buses either which makes alternative transport an issue, especially on a school day.

They've been operating them for two years so they're hardly unfamiliar by now. The local MP needs to vent his ire at the DfT - they specced the service.

Edited by Wheatley

Northern crew are unfamiliar with and don't like loco hauled operation making them prone to calling failures for marginal problems 

I think the main problem is lack of experience with Northern drivers, and they lack the detailed knowledge of the loco that DRS crews will have, with small issues causing a train to fail. One failure was even put down to a driver spilling tea on a DBSO.

I don’t think there is any reliability problem with the DBSOs, they went through heavy overhaul before entering service. If you look at Jim’s photo thread, his regular combination of 37 and DBSO seems fine and certainty not prone to failure. Why can’t they just use DRS crews like TPE will for the 68s?

I think the main problem is lack of experience with Northern drivers, and they lack the detailed knowledge of the loco that DRS crews will have, with small issues causing a train to fail. One failure was even put down to a driver spilling tea on a DBSO.

I don’t think there is any reliability problem with the DBSOs, they went through heavy overhaul before entering service. If you look at Jim’s photo thread, his regular combination of 37 and DBSO seems fine and certainty not prone to failure. Why can’t they just use DRS crews like TPE will for the 68s?

Sorry, but it is a bit off topic however, that's an interesting one......I often pop up to Gresty and end up chatting to someone just outside the gate (friendly these DRS guys).......when I last spoke to a fitter there, TPE wanted to do all the driving apart from any ECS moves, I guess then things have changed?

• 1 month later...