Loco Hauled services to return to Cumbrian Coast

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the info.

What I am really interested to know is why when DRS already have seven active 37/4s then 422 when it returns to traffic and 407 and 424 when overhauled and repainted they are increasing the number of 37/4s on there books. I could understand if the Cumbrian Coast trains and the Anglian trains were going to be 37/4 hauled permanently but they aren't because once the DBSOs are repaired and ready for traffic they will only need four 37/4s to cover Cumbria and Anglia trains. So what do they plan to do with the remaining six? I mean even if they had a spare 37 at Barrow or Kingmoor for the Cumbrain trains and a spare at Anglia they would still have four left over. Are we thinking that they will be used on general freight traffic like flasks?

Thanks for the info.

What I am really interested to know is why when DRS already have seven active 37/4s then 422 when it returns to traffic and 407 and 424 when overhauled and repainted they are increasing the number of 37/4s on there books. I could understand if the Cumbrian Coast trains and the Anglian trains were going to be 37/4 hauled permanently but they aren't because once the DBSOs are repaired and ready for traffic they will only need four 37/4s to cover Cumbria and Anglia trains. So what do they plan to do with the remaining six? I mean even if they had a spare 37 at Barrow or Kingmoor for the Cumbrain trains and a spare at Anglia they would still have four left over. Are we thinking that they will be used on general freight traffic like flasks?

Presumably, the 37/4s will be better in the long run for DRS. It would free up 6 locos for other duties yes, but with some non-ETS fitted 37s still in service DRS may wish to withdraw a few locos and plug the gap with 37/4s, the parts from the non-ETS fitted 37s being transferred into 37/4s. It also depends on how many locos they might need on standby.

I did hear on a gen group that 37413 at Bury was to be swapped for 37510. Does anyone know if this is getting the go ahead?

• RMweb Premium

I suppose that is a possibility. It just makes you think about the 37/4s when they will probably only need six and that's with two spares. They will probably use the remaining four on flasks alike the 37/6s as I don't think it will be long before some of these will be entering the works for overhauls and extensive repairs.

I heard the same about 413. So yes that's potentially another 37/4 for DRS.

• RMweb Premium

Current locos on the Cumbrian Coast trains are as follows (according to TOPS).

37401, 37402, 37409, 37423, 37603.

603 has just been released from Kingmoor following repairs since the open day.

402 failed a few days ago and was replaced by 37610. 402 has now been repaired and is back on the diagrams. 610 has been removed at Kingmoor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The driving trailers are back in use now, so the trains only have one 37 on them, usually at the north end.

If you are out travelling on them next weekend , Saturday 22nd and Sunday 23rd August, it is the Model Railway Weekend at Carnforth Station. I'm attending with my 00 gauge blue diesel layout. Pop in and say hello.

I had my first sighting of a DBSO in use last night. It took me by suprise. It was about 19.25 hrs and it was between Silverdale and Carnforth. Granted I was about a mile from the lineside, but it was motoring!

When I got home and checked RTT http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O19766/2015/08/19/advanced it appears that what I had seen was 5C19 ESC Barrow in Furness to Carlisle Kingmoor via Carnforth, apparently this was formed by a Cl158 timed at 201mph! Not sure if I would want a trip on that!

Ian

Hi all,

At 201mph that must be a world record for a class 37. Are DRS using rocket fuel?

Vin

Nuclear power apparently! :sarcastichand: 

Coat on and running for the door..... again......

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

37 422 was on today's 10:04 from Preston. Seen at Preston and Arnside.

I haven't seen this one mentioned before, and is has no DRS decals/branding. Has it been moved in from elsewhere? The DRS blue paint didn't seem that freshly applied, but no decals.

post-583-0-30243700-1445875294.jpg

post-583-0-19963600-1445875302.jpg

Edited by meurglys3
  • Like 4

The earliest I can chart her comeback is back in August following release from, I think RVEL Derby IIRC, unbranded following overhaul.  

She worked over in Anglia around Great Yarmouth etc, before debuting on the Cumbrian Coast workings at Carlisle on the 8th of this month.

• Like 1