Loco Hauled services to return to Cumbrian Coast

Watched 37422 depart Preston this morning, what happened to 403? Remember seeing 403 passing maryport a couple of weeks ago to rescue 409 after the brake release valve had broke leaving us stranded on the line just before Workington station

• RMweb Premium

401 is with Caroline.

402 is on CC duties.

403 is on Kingmoor.

409 is on Kingmoor showing transfer status.

422 is on CC duties.

423 is at RVEL Derby for an exam.

425 is on Kingmoor under repair.

409 has been problematetic recently on the Cumbrian Coast trains. 425 has been out of service at Kingmoor for a couple of weeks.

These two probably aren't out and about much because it's been a while since they last had big exams. 425 was overhauled three years ago or more I think and I don't recall 409 been overhauled recently either.

401 is with Caroline.

402 is on CC duties.

403 is on Kingmoor.

409 is on Kingmoor showing transfer status.

422 is on CC duties.

423 is at RVEL Derby for an exam.

425 is on Kingmoor under repair.

409 has been problematetic recently on the Cumbrian Coast trains. 425 has been out of service at Kingmoor for a couple of weeks.

These two probably aren't out and about much because it's been a while since they last had big exams. 425 was overhauled three years ago or more I think and I don't recall 409 been overhauled recently either.

I saw 409 on  light engine move today (sandwiched between 68017 and 37059) from Kingmoor to Crewe

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Realtime trains now shows the 10.04 from Preston pathed for a class 158 sprinter. Have the loco hauled trains stopped now?

I hope that that is a mistake (on the part of how it has been put on there)!

I have plans to travel....

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Realtime trains now shows the 10.04 from Preston pathed for a class 158 sprinter. Have the loco hauled trains stopped now?

37402 seen on the 0515 Carlisle - Preston this morning, it returns as the 1004 from Preston to Barrow.

• Like 1

Surely all the loco-hauled workings in RTT show timings for Sprinters?

I have travelled Preston to Barrow a couple of times based on the fact that RT showed it as loco haulage (diesel locomotive, trailing load etc) so no, they haven't always.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

RTT is currently showing all Barrow - Carlisle trains as pathed for Class 150/153/155/156 (Sprinter). Does anyone have up-to-date information on which trains are scheduled for loco-haulage. I'm especially interested in 2C47 Preston - Barrow and 2C41 Barrow - Carlisle.

Would be interested to know why RTT isn't showing the loco-hauled for the Cumbrian coast as it does for the North Wales coast trains.

David

• RMweb Gold

RTT is currently showing all Barrow - Carlisle trains as pathed for Class 150/153/155/156 (Sprinter). Does anyone have up-to-date information on which trains are scheduled for loco-haulage. I'm especially interested in 2C47 Preston - Barrow and 2C41 Barrow - Carlisle.

Would be interested to know why RTT isn't showing the loco-hauled for the Cumbrian coast as it does for the North Wales coast trains.

David

They've always been shown that way for Barrow-Carlisle.  Northern Trains timetable pages have them specifically marked in the actual timetable.  See Route 6 (full TT not the pocket one):

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/travel/timetables

Edited by Metr0Land

• RMweb Premium

They've always been shown that way for Barrow-Carlisle.  Northern Trains timetable pages have them specifically marked in the actual timetable.  See Route 6 (full TT not the pocket one):

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/travel/timetables

Thanks for that information. Northern - the gricer's friend!

David

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So according to Facebook Northern attended a meeting last night in Ulverston. They admit that their service reliability is poor on the coast and to help the first loco hauled service off Carlise in a morning is going to be limited stop.....

There is something in the local paper http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/barrow/Not-good-enough-Northerns-frank-admissions-over-series-of-rail-failures-9bcc16a5-34e8-4689-b64d-38e6998e313c-ds but it fails to mention this bit of the tail. Likewise, Facebook users did not go on to suggest that this may apply to all the loco hauled sevices on the coast!

NB. I did not attend the meeting, nor can I find anything in print to back this up. But by the standards, I know the chap who wrote it and trust what he says.

Ian

Edited by 11B

• RMweb Premium

I wonder how much damage has been caused to the 37s by the constant full power then brake cycle on the all stations service.

Part of the problem is the diagrams have such tight turnrounds, there is no opportunity to get back on time at the end of a journey. Add to that the single track scections and good timekeeping is very difficult.

One of the rumours going round on the railway is that a lot of Northern drivers don't like driving the 37s and will fail them for the slightest reason. Doesn't seem to be the same level of failure on services operated by DRS crews.

D.

One of the rumours going round on the railway is that a lot of Northern drivers don't like driving the 37s and will fail them for the slightest reason. Doesn't seem to be the same level of failure on services operated by DRS crews.

D.

I would have thought Northern would have been better using the 37s over the S+C freeing up units from that line for the coast services.

Loco haulage where it might have been better appreciated and definitely more appropriate.

• Like 1

Further to my earlier post. The Facebook conversation goes on to say that come may the loco hauled services will only operate North of Borrow (post by a member of Northern staff I think)

Ian

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...