Loco Hauled services to return to Cumbrian Coast

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone could help me?

Will either of the Cumbrian Coast sets/trains with the top and tail DRS Class 37s on be in Carlisle station on Saturday 18th July?

If so please could you tell me the headcode for the train/s and the time/s that the train/s are in Carlisle station?

Thank you very much in advance.

• RMweb Premium

I've no idea of headcodes, but on a Saturday, the sets should be in Carlisle...

0515 departure to Barrow.

0833 arrival from Barrow, departs back to Barrow at 0842

1137 arrival from Barrow, departs 1156 to Lancaster

1426 arrival from Barrow, departs 1433 to Barrow

2029 arrival from Barrow

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone could help me?

Will either of the Cumbrian Coast sets/trains with the top and tail DRS Class 37s on be in Carlisle station on Saturday 18th July?

If so please could you tell me the headcode for the train/s and the time/s that the train/s are in Carlisle station?

Thank you very much in advance.

I've no idea of headcodes, but on a Saturday, the sets should be in Carlisle...

0515 departure to Barrow.

0833 arrival from Barrow, departs back to Barrow at 0842

1137 arrival from Barrow, departs 1156 to Lancaster

1426 arrival from Barrow, departs 1433 to Barrow

2029 arrival from Barrow

Full diagrams with headcodes already posted in this thread. (DRSCoaM already rated that post informative..........)

cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

I could also see the clag from its engine and by the time I had reached Barrow I also had the headache from the fumes.

I was the same, in the process of 'vestibule vegging' behind 37606 I very nearly passed out through Arnside!

Also, does anyone know of the progress of 37407 and 424?

• RMweb Premium

I see on a photographic web site that I look at, the ex Virgin liveried BSO was replaced by a DRS one at some point last week http://daviddockray.smugmug.com/Trains/Recent/17894198_wqsMNP#!i=4180676932&k=ps2NNWw&lb=1&s=A

I also see from an update on the rail magazine web pages that one DRS DBSO is due out of the works in November, destined for the Cumbrian coast, but according to the story it will appear in Northern livery!

http://www.railmagazine.com/news/fleet/2015/07/06/drs-dbso-set-for-november-return

So does this mean we are to have loco hauled serves for some time?

Ian

I believe the loco hauled trains are running indefinitely, or until the 120 new DMU cars are built for the next Northern franchise, or perhaps until the next electrification throws up some more spare DMUs - in either case, I don't think they're planned to finish in the short term.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for the replies.

I did remember about the times previously mentioned in the thread but I just wanted to ask again in case there had been any changes that I wasn't aware of.

Depending on how much time I spend at the Kingmoor open day I will try and get to see at least one of the Cumbrian trains. It's just a shame that after the 14:26 arrival from Barrow there isn't another Cumbrian train in Carlisle until 20:29. It depends as to which 37s are working the sets on the day. If I have already seen them I might be better off staying at the Kingmoor open day longer. I will see what happens on the day.

Thank you very much for the help. It's very much appreciated.

It might be worth staying on at Kingmoor and then going to Carlisle station, as the Cumbrian Mountain Express rail tour is due into Carlisle on the same day with a 'yet to be arranged' steam loco on the front. Another tour 'The Lakes & Borders Railtour' is also due to arrive in Carlisle with a class 68 at the helm.  If you are on any gen groups like backline gen or north-west gen, then you will probably get reports of the 37s working the Cumbrian sets on the day.

• 2 weeks later...

According to Facebook, the DBSO's look set to be entering service next week. On of them has been out with 37401 (in BR large logo blue!) pictured near Workington.

Lets see what happens next week!

Ian

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium

Yes according to what I have heard more DRS Class 37s are to be fitted with the remote fire suppression equipment.

I would assume however that the fitting of the equipment will limit which Class 37s are working the Cumbrian Coast trains so for the people who want to ride on the trains, see or photo specific locos on the workings this week and possibly a short time after (if the proposed start date for the DBSOs next week doesn't go to plan) might be the last opportunity to see a variety of the liveried and numbered 37s on the Cumbrian trains.  

• RMweb Premium

Yes according to what I have heard more DRS Class 37s are to be fitted with the remote fire suppression equipment.

I would assume however that the fitting of the equipment will limit which Class 37s are working the Cumbrian Coast trains so for the people who want to ride on the trains, see or photo specific locos on the workings this week and possibly a short time after (if the proposed start date for the DBSOs next week doesn't go to plan) might be the last opportunity to see a variety of the liveried and numbered 37s on the Cumbrian trains.  

Depending on who you believe, it looks like DRS may have five DBSO's altogether (but only two in usable guise so far - it'll be October at best before others are available) - to include use on Anglian duties. The locos will only be 37/4's (on Cumbrian and Anglia duties), as they're the only ones with ETS.

As for liveries - all that's been used so far are the two variants of DRS. 37401 will add an extra splash though.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

As much as I like to see photos of the 37s working the Cumbrian and Anglian passenger trains I think it will be interesting to see a 37 and DBSO working together. It will certainly add more interest and when the other three DBSOs are out and about something else to see.

So are 9705 and 9707 the only two DRS DBSOs so far? What numbers are the other three going to be? Where currently where are the other three?

I am assuming that because only the 37/4s will be working with the DBSOs this is why 401, 407, 422, 424 have/are been returned to traffic?

• RMweb Premium

As much as I like to see photos of the 37s working the Cumbrian and Anglian passenger trains I think it will be interesting to see a 37 and DBSO working together. It will certainly add more interest and when the other three DBSOs are out and about something else to see.

So are 9705 and 9707 the only two DRS DBSOs so far? What numbers are the other three going to be? Where currently where are the other three?

I am assuming that because only the 37/4s will be working with the DBSOs this is why 401, 407, 422, 424 have/are been returned to traffic?

Possibly actually four - 9704/9709/9710 with a rumour of 9713.

So that may be three each for Anglian /Cumbrian duty. Two in use and one spare at each location.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

I see the first DBSO is in use today! There is a video of it at Millom on Facebook. I will try and look at youtube later for a link.

Ian

Looks like 37402 also has remote fire suppression - so that's two 37's and two DBSO's available!

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

No there are still fire extinguishers in the cabs

All this talknof fire supression equipment, i take it the equipment/set up with the DBSO is different to the existing DRS AAR multi cable set up?

The reson i ask is drs 37s already have remote fire equipment for when they work the RHTT top and tail etc

• RMweb Gold

Ooooh, just realised ive got to get the train from wigton to carlisle later (and on to crewe) and the one i planned on getting is a loco hauled service (17:29 arrival into carlisle) wonder whats on that today?

• Like 2

The early morning southbound had problems north of Lancaster this morning, 37423 was trailing 5971-6001-5995 and DBSO 9707 it was a communication problem between the DBSO and the train. It was rectified for the set to work back north Lancaster- Barrow.

The other set is 37402-6122-5810-6173-9705.

Big Jim you will probably be on 37423 good luck