Loco Hauled services to return to Cumbrian Coast

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The loco hauled trains seem to have had a rough time recently, with a fair bit of late running, some dmu substitution and at least one cancellation. Not all has been due to the trains, but signalling problems and dense fog.

If you are travelling round the coast using the 5 minute connection at Barrow betwen the two loco hauled sets, do note that the connection is not always held.

• 2 months later...

A third DBSO has appeared on the Cumbrian Coast this week, 9710, so we now have a spare for maintenance!  It didn't help last night when my train back from the pub was cancelled with it on the front. It did appear from the Carnforth direction as I walked home from the station though, so was ready for the morning run. Kev.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've made a short video of the Cumbrian Coast 37's. If you are interested, you can watch it here.

I've had to lower the quality in order not to exceed my free download limit. If people like it, I might pay to upgrade my Vimeo account so you can watch it in HD.

• Like 4

A third DBSO has appeared on the Cumbrian Coast this week, 9710, so we now have a spare for maintenance!  It didn't help last night when my train back from the pub was cancelled with it on the front. It did appear from the Carnforth direction as I walked home from the station though, so was ready for the morning run. Kev.

Just to add to Kev's post, I see from the pages of rail magazine http://www.railmagazine.com/news/network/2016/01/21/drs-to-add-third-set-for-northern-s-cumbrian-coast that a third set is coming out to play.

Ian

Edited by 11B

From what I understand Ian there is a proposal for a 3rd set which will be a spare/standby set, not sure its a done deal yet but stand to be corrected.

Lots of speculation at present elsewhere about a further loco hauled train or two being added in the Northern area (Manchester-Southport and S&C as some possible options being touted) in order to release some DMUs.

Time will tell no doubt!

• RMweb Premium

From what I understand Ian there is a proposal for a 3rd set which will be a spare/standby set, not sure its a done deal yet but stand to be corrected.

Lots of speculation at present elsewhere about a further loco hauled train or two being added in the Northern area (Manchester-Southport and S&C as some possible options being touted) in order to release some DMUs.

Time will tell no doubt!

S&C would be very nice, particularly if the timings work out to make it possible to do both the Cumbrian Coast and S&C loco-hauled one after the other.

• 1 month later...

I see from the pages of Facebook that 37402 is now out and about in large logo blue. And looks pretty good too......

Are DRS going for blue/gray livery again whilst bringing Scotland to Cumbria!!!

Ian

S&C would be very nice, particularly if the timings work out to make it possible to do both the Cumbrian Coast and S&C loco-hauled one after the other.

Those trains can be pretty busy, even with two class 158s, so if a couple of the coaches fill up with cranks (and they will)  then that might mean a class 37 pushing six over Ais Gill and keeping time.

Which is why my money would be on somewhere else and perhaps not Manchester Piccadilly platforms 13 and 14, nowadays slam door stock holds things up a bit too much on the island platform.

I believe far more precautions are taken with such stock nowadays as they lack the kind of passenger familiarity that was once commonplace.

I've observed younger passengers just staring not knowing quite what to do.

quote name="D854_Tiger" post="2234377" timestamp="1457732416"]

I've observed younger passengers just staring not knowing quite what to do.

Not just the younger passengers... I had a ride behind 37425 Workington-Carlisle last Friday - March 4th.

Pulling into platform 1 at Carlisle I found myself by the door ... suddenly realised it wasn't going to open automatically! Ended up reading the instructions and remembering how it used to be done. It's also not so easy these days with bars on the windows.

post-13274-0-66241100-1457733696.jpg

37425 Workington 04-03-2016

Was hoping for 401 which had worked the previous day.

Alan

Edited by 60091
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I think the vast majority of DRS Mk2s are 2F  

Lifted from the railtourinfo.co.uk site. Those marked with a * are leased from Riviera

It's not quite up to date as there are at least 3 DBSOs in DRS blue. (There are other discrepancies in the list for other operators) but it's a starting reference. Using the numbers below and DRS or the 37/4s used as a search in flickr will give you more info. For example 37401 and 6122 in flickr reveals a whole rake.

5937*
5945*
5952*
5955*
5965*
5976*
6137*
6176*
6177*
6183*
9539*

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

I think the vast majority of DRS Mk2s are 2F  

Lifted from the railtourinfo.co.uk site. Those marked with a * are leased from Riviera

It's not quite up to date as there are at least 3 DBSOs in DRS blue. (There are other discrepancies in the list for other operators) but it's a starting reference. Using the numbers below and DRS or the 37/4s used as a search in flickr will give you more info. For example 37401 and 6122 in flickr reveals a whole rake.

5937*

5945*

5952*

5955*

5965*

5976*

6137*

6176*

6177*

6183*

9539*

Cheers,

Mick

very helpful Mick, thanks

• RMweb Premium

Not just the younger passengers... I had a ride behind 37425 Workington-Carlisle last Friday - March 4th.

Pulling into platform 1 at Carlisle I found myself by the door ... suddenly realised it wasn't going to open automatically! Ended up reading the instructions and remembering how it used to be done. It's also not so easy these days with bars on the windows.

It's not a "these days" thing on the Cumbrian Coast line, bars on the windows there go back a long time thanks to some tighter than usual clearances.

I'm looking at catching the 10:04 Preston some point in the next couple of weeks, if your sat in the first coach can you hear the 37s thrashing clearly?

If you stand in the first doorway with the window down you should. Preston to Carnforth then Cark to Dalton I would guess to be the loudest sections

Ian

• 3 months later...

Checked while you were away, they should be running until at least the end of 2017. There are break clauses in the contract (presumably in case the DfT finds a couple of 156s down the back of the settee) but they'll be around for a while.