Loco Hauled services to return to Cumbrian Coast

• RMweb Premium

Looks like a good time was had, Jack!  Must admit, didn't realise Silecroft was a worthwhile refreshment stop.  On my trip we had lunch in Workington 'Spoons, but only because we knew it was there, before dropping back down to Foxfield.  Might give Silecroft a try if I go again.

For those of you who are thinking of having a run on the Cumbrian coast and want to stop for food and a beer, here's a list of pubs we use that do food and real ale, all are no more than a 5 minute walk from the station

Barrow - Furness arms(spoons)8am-12pm

Duke of Edinburgh 12-12

Foxfield- Prince of wales(brewpub) 12-12

Millom - Bear on the square 10am-10.30pm

Hardknott brewery tap on Millom station(beer only)12-12

Silecroft- Miners arms 12-12

Ravenglass- Ratty arms 11.30am-12pm

Drigg- Victoria hotel 12-2pm

St Bees - Manor house hotel 12-12

Queens hotel 12-12

Whitehaven- Bransty arch(spoons) 8am-12pm

All above times are for Saturday's, if your coming mid week I would check there websites for opening times, some don't open Monday/Tuesdays

hope this will help some of you when you visit!

Ray

Edited by long island jack
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For those of you who are thinking of having a run on the Cumbrian coast and want to stop for food and a beer, here's a list of pubs we use that do food and real ale, all are no more than a 5 minute walk from the station

Duke of Edinburgh 12-12

Queens hotel 12-12

All above times are for Saturday's, if your coming mid week I would check there websites for opening times, some don't open Monday/Tuesdays

Ray

Still a few on that list I need to do!!

• RMweb Premium

Duke of Edinburgh 12-12

Queens hotel 12-12

Ray

That's really useful Ray, thanks; we did consider detraining from the 1138 ex Barrow at Maryport for a beer and hopefully a meal before the set returned as the 1435 ex Carlisle, but as the time between the down and up trains would have been less and we weren't sure how far the town centre / pubs were from the station we played safe with Workington - looks like that was probably the right decision.  Will certainly bear your list in mind if I have another go!

• RMweb Premium

I see that 37405 has been shipped off to East Anglia. Does anyone know if the Cumbria and Anglia loco pools are separate (e.g. due to loco mods) or fully interchangeable? Of the 37/4s I only need 405 and 423 for haulage and was hoping they might appear together when I get a trip home over the summer. Not worth the expense just for one.

• RMweb Premium

I was told the connection at Barrow IS reliable as the crew (maybe just the driver?) also transfers from 2C47 to 2C49, with the driver who brought the stock for 2C49 from Barrow carriage sidings then shunting the stock off 2C47 into the sidings.  Certainly when I did it, 2C47 arrived about 5 mins late (as others have said) but there was plenty of time to change onto the other set.

• RMweb Premium

37405 and 37425 are both currently at Norwich.

Neither of these 37s have appeared on the Cumbrian Coast trains yet (I don't think) so I'm not sure if all 37s can work both Anglian and Cumbrian passenger trains.

Although I don't see why not considering that some of the 37/4s and 37/6s have worked together on the Cumbrian passenger trains in the past few weeks.

To my knowledge there hasn't been any issues with the Cumbrian 37s except from 611 throwing a wobbler last week.

• RMweb Premium

37405 and 37425 are both currently at Norwich.

Neither of these 37s have appeared on the Cumbrian Coast trains yet (I don't think) so I'm not sure if all 37s can work both Anglian and Cumbrian passenger trains.

Although I don't see why not considering that some of the 37/4s and 37/6s have worked together on the Cumbrian passenger trains in the past few weeks.

To my knowledge there hasn't been any issues with the Cumbrian 37s except from 611 throwing a wobbler last week.

I understood that the Anglia 37/4s were to be operated in top and tail mode with through wiring to allow both locos to be operated from the leading one, whereas in Cumbria the 37/4s will be operating in push-pull mode with a DVT. I was wondering is the mods to the locos were such that they could operate in one way only, not both. Since its 423 not 425 (plus 405) I'm interested in, I was hoping they can both operate on the same services.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I understood that the Anglia 37/4s were to be operated in top and tail mode with through wiring to allow both locos to be operated from the leading one, whereas in Cumbria the 37/4s will be operating in push-pull mode with a DVT. I was wondering is the mods to the locos were such that they could operate in one way only, not both. Since its 423 not 425 (plus 405) I'm interested in, I was hoping they can both operate on the same services.

405 and 425 are about to make their debut on the Anglia short set - currently formed up and believed to be coming out to play this afternoon. (top and tailed)

Apologies, I'm not well up on attaching pics etc....

It was great to see the 37s providing such sterling service though.

Also (didn't get any pics but) there were upwards of 20 class 47 and 57s on shed at WCRC at Carnforth. I didn't know they had that many.
Even the wife was impressed!

post-583-0-97985300-1434456351.jpg

post-583-0-64263900-1434456364.jpg

post-583-0-00060400-1434456375.jpg

post-583-0-61622900-1434456389.jpg

post-583-0-25901500-1434456412.jpg

Edited by meurglys3
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Some photos from last Wednesday 23 June 2015 Preston and Carlisle .

A) Preston Prior to departure.

B) Carlisle ( do you recognise yourself.

C) Carlisle awaiting departure back to Barrow

Andrew

post-2565-0-91744700-1435431282.jpg

post-2565-0-66665400-1435431310.jpg

post-2565-0-84857400-1435431333.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I see on a photographic web site that I look at, the ex Virgin liveried BSO was replaced by a DRS one at some point last week http://daviddockray.smugmug.com/Trains/Recent/17894198_wqsMNP#!i=4180676932&k=ps2NNWw&lb=1&s=A

I also see from an update on the rail magazine web pages that one DRS DBSO is due out of the works in November, destined for the Cumbrian coast, but according to the story it will appear in Northern livery!

http://www.railmagazine.com/news/fleet/2015/07/06/drs-dbso-set-for-november-return

So does this mean we are to have loco hauled serves for some time?

Ian

• RMweb Premium

I see on a photographic web site that I look at, the ex Virgin liveried BSO was replaced by a DRS one at some point last week http://daviddockray.smugmug.com/Trains/Recent/17894198_wqsMNP#!i=4180676932&k=ps2NNWw&lb=1&s=A

The replacement is BFK 17159.

Cheers,

Mick

So I experienced a trip from Preston to Barrow today on the 10:04 service.

In the first coach so I could see the back of 37218 through the corridor connection, I could also see the clag from its engine and by the time I had reached Barrow I also had the headache from the fumes.

What have I learnt, modern trains don't emit anything like the cr*p heritage stuff does and maybe things weren't so good in the past.

Getting in/out of the MKII coach set with it's fixed armrests was also a b*gger. I did Manchester to Preston on a Blackpool service and the 156 had comfy seats, people might moan about Trans Pennine getting these but they're not so bad.

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday morning only one set appeared to be in use, operating the 1004 Preston to Barrow, then continuing on to Carlisle. I think he second set ran ecs from Kingmoor to Barrow (via Shap) later in the day.

I had a very enjoyable ride right round the coast, excellent views, really comfortable and clean coaches, with a 37 thrashing at the front.

Since my last trip the stock now has central locking, so the extra staff are no longer present. I don't know if that puts the 5 minute connection at Barrow at risk as these staff used to swap trains at Barrow.

There is a Cumbrian Coast Round Robin ticket which lets you travel round the coast and back via Shap, but apparently it can also be used as a rover ticket too, so you can go both ways round the coast behind the 37s. Enjoy.

• Like 1