Nothing cruel about those close ups Rob, they look great. Might seem a daft question but did you put less powder on or same amount and take more off to get the 'lighter' look.

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

Morning Steve.

I applied less powder and concentrated on the iron work and the gaps in the planks. Just smoke and iron oxide sealed with varnish the the usual 2mm fibre glass pen to take off the excess.

A bit of dark earth on the underframe with black to suggest grease on moving parts.

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Morning Steve.

I applied less powder and concentrated on the iron work and the gaps in the planks. Just smoke and iron oxide sealed with varnish the the usual 2mm fibre glass pen to take off the excess.

A bit of dark earth on the underframe with black to suggest grease on moving parts.

Rob.

Think I actually prefer the finish on the latest wagon. Good to have variation though.

• RMweb Gold

Think I actually prefer the finish on the latest wagon. Good to have variation though.

Thanks Spams.

I'm still experimenting and yes, variation is key to the overall picture. Each wagon is different, obviously. I like the lighter look for the contrast it provides.

See what happens with the next one....

Rob.

I like the variation and the subtlety of the latest wagon, looking forward to seeing the next one. I've been using a 2mm brush as you recomended and it's loads better at doing individual planks.

Steve.

• Like 1

Rob,

Following on from the use of fibre glass brushes, when I purchase refills for my 4mm one I make up a mix of PVA, water and a drop of washing up liquid, then dip them into it and allow them to dry thoroughly.

I've found it stops the ends from splaying out and gives a stiffer brush and as a bonus the fibres tend not to go everywhere.

G

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

A busy two weeks ahead.

I am trying to be a bit more relaxed......mmmm

Sheep Lane is pretty much ready to go bar cleaning track. Mutton needs a couple more tweaks ahead of Taunton...

I am not going to be weathering locos the night before the show....no...I'm not.....really...no......

Come the nught before the show all will be packed ready to go....it will....nothing will be forgotten.....

What could possibly go wrong.....

Rob.

post-14122-0-46802500-1523783391.jpg

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No1 son sleeps in?

I sincerely doubt I'll be weathering locos the night before either...

He will be up........I know this......

As for weathering locos the night before......not again...

• RMweb Gold

As an aside, Norman popped into Sheep Lane this morning. Nothing much was happening. Norman amused himself with a couple of photos of the vans in the yard. He was quite taken with the plywood ex-Southern ventilated van and couldn't recall seeing one at Sheep Lane before.

Mission accomplished, he took Murray for a gentle perambulation through the lanes. The long way home. Murray was on song. The thrum of the tyres, busy chatter from the engine, a faint whine from the gear box and the somewhat unique fart from Murrays exhaust as he changed up, followed by the popping on the over run brought a smile to Normans face. New spark plugs, fresh oil and correctly gapped points had made all the difference. Norman was thoroughly at ease as the smells of the hedgerow after a light shower combined with a waft of warm oil and mature upholstery produced a familier, reassuringly satisfying experience.

All was good.

Long may Murray carry on

Rob.

post-14122-0-81773700-1523790616_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-92096700-1523790639_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Well..........!

Murray lives!!!!!

Rob.

post-14122-0-05537300-1523792054_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Mission accomplished, he took Murray for a gentle perambulation through the lanes. The long way home. Murray was on song. The thrum of the tyres, busy chatter from the engine, a faint whine from the gear box and the somewhat unique fart from Murrays exhaust as he changed up, followed by the popping on the over run brought a smile to Normans face. New spark plugs, fresh oil and correctly gapped points had made all the difference. Norman was thoroughly at ease as the smells of the hedgerow after a light shower combined with a waft of warm oil and mature upholstery produced a familier, reassuringly satisfying experience.

All was good.

I'm worried, Norman appears to be on drugs.

A. Concerned-Citizen

• RMweb Gold

I'm worried, Norman appears to be on drugs.

A. Concerned-Citizen

post-14122-0-69462100-1523795995.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Rob,

Following on from the use of fibre glass brushes, when I purchase refills for my 4mm one I make up a mix of PVA, water and a drop of washing up liquid, then dip them into it and allow them to dry thoroughly.

I've found it stops the ends from splaying out and gives a stiffer brush and as a bonus the fibres tend not to go everywhere.

G

That is a very good tip, and I will be doing this from now on!

• Like 2

the smells of the hedgerow after a light shower combined with a waft of warm oil and mature upholstery produced a familiar, reassuringly satisfying experience.

Bloody chucking it down here never mind a light shower!! :(

• RMweb Gold

It will be fine Stubbers......I mean.....it's not like Lord Cack, god of chaos and mayhem could visit himself upon you at any time is it?

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I do like your box. Certainly wouldn’t want a bigger one. Yours looks just right...,

Good work Rob.

Someone has a good taste in wheels... Do like the Messerschmitt lurking in the background...

• RMweb Gold

I do like your box. Certainly wouldn’t want a bigger one. Yours looks just right...,

Good work Rob.

Someone has a good taste in wheels... Do like the Messerschmitt lurking in the background...

I think first-wife's mother had had one. I think it lacked a reverse gear, so if you drove straight into your garage that was that!

• RMweb Premium

Good work Rob.

I'd like to see a car chase with a Measureshit being chased by a Triumphant Spitfire...........would make a good dieorarmour.

Phiart

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3