• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

We have stayed at a very nice hotel in a West of England seaside town and while there is an extensive breakfast menu items which are not listed on it do seen to arrive if they are ordered - such as black puddings (an odd omission!) and fried bread.

Hog's pudding was always on the menu in our Cornish holiday hotel.

8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

it was bacon that tempted the Memsahib back from vegetarianism

No 1 daughter occasionally declared an intention to go veggie. The smell of a bacon sandwich soon cured that.

• Like 4

Despite being as fastidious about her vegetarian diet as you would expect someone who studied biology up to doctorate level, her existing health problems were compounded by cutting out animal products and her immune system went to hell.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Hog's pudding was always on the menu in our Cornish holiday hotel.

No 1 daughter occasionally declared an intention to go veggie. The smell of a bacon sandwich soon cured that.

That's the trouble with youngsters nowadays no staying power.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/06/2023 at 11:30, NHY 581 said:

And on the subject of toy trains, all other projects are officially shelved/binned and focus concentrates on forthcoming exhibitions and a start on the East Anglian BLT. 

Rob

Um...................er...........cough......um.........

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Um...................er...........cough......um.........

O how these things come back to haunt you. 

1st of October already, doesn’t time fly . . .

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 26/06/2023 at 17:14, mullie said:

I'm old enough to remember when such meals included fried bread.

Old enough, When?!? Fried bread so crispy you sometimes need to wear eye protection still on the menu round here! 

Hash browns are a poor substitute, I wouldn’t dare serve them myself, smacks of giving up, dumbing down I tell you! 😉

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, sb67 said:

The rust on those wagons looks superb Rob! I'm assuming you put more than you need on then remove some with the fibreglass brush?

Sorry Steve. 

Yes, pretty much. Using gentle vertical streaks with the usual 2mm F/Brush. 

In the absence of a mineral wagon, I may well have a run at an Iron Mink if that would help. 

Rob

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

You think maybe the old algorithms built into our browsers might be confused by the constant references to “sheep” in this thread?

Just look at the ads appearing on my screen at the bottom of this particular thread…

IMG_3549.jpeg.9abae5517b3be22fe41a83a59eccef32.jpeg

And having mentioned the word “sheep” twice in my own reply, I have a feeling I shall be (electronically) inundated with them in due course!

Baaa! Humbug!

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
  • Like 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Louis. 

Great images there of Southhampton, Plymouth and of course, Winchester. I've looked at trackwork etc and now 

know exactly what I'm going to build. The track layout is sorted and for comfort, I'd be looking at an eight foot scenic section with an additional fiddly yard stick thing. Width is to be determined but not wide. 

However, despite the novelty of an exciting new toy/scale/project, the 4mm layout will continue to take priority. 

I may, in time,  set up a separate 7mm workbench thread thing. 

Rob

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Sorry Steve. 

Yes, pretty much. Using gentle vertical streaks with the usual 2mm F/Brush. 

In the absence of a mineral wagon, I may well have a run at an Iron Mink if that would help. 

Rob

That would, thank you, but then I'm happy to be inspired by any of your weathering! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Them there B4's are certainly a temptation - it would be totally inappropriate on my layout, but the urge to purchase some LSWR-ness is huge.  It could live in the lounge display cabinet with the maroon Jinty and Railway Children Paneer of course....hmm.

The only thing stopping me is the absolute need (and appropriate - the NCB appear on the layout!) for a Dapol Austerity saddletank later in the year, but the colour of the Wemyss Private Railway one I was going to use as a base for my model is a disappointment, it looks more like a Caramac bar than the deep rich choccy brown it should be.

• Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Of course upscaling will also require a change in Scandinavian shelving to one more suited to the heavy duty nature of 7mm....

I give you the BROR

image.png.12fb5c03a89b66117581a824964891c5.png

Top shelf for lighting and errrr 7mm publications, middle for track, lower storage boxes and then the base level for power and the boxes for your stock.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Thanks Louis. 

Great images there of Southhampton, Plymouth and of course, Winchester. I've looked at trackwork etc and now 

know exactly what I'm going to build. The track layout is sorted and for comfort, I'd be looking at an eight foot scenic section with an additional fiddly yard stick thing. Width is to be determined but not wide. 

However, despite the novelty of an exciting new toy/scale/project, the 4mm layout will continue to take priority. 

Rob

I would advise keeping your projects in one thread if you can, from my own experience. 
It’s really easy for a secondary thread to slide away mate. 

Excited to see what you’re going to do next!

Jay

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Of course upscaling will also require a change in Scandinavian shelving to one more suited to the heavy duty nature of 7mm....

I give you the BROR

image.png.12fb5c03a89b66117581a824964891c5.png

Top shelf for lighting and errrr 7mm publications, middle for track, lower storage boxes and then the base level for power and the boxes for your stock.

Afternoon Wooders, 

Good thought but the verticals would be tricky and at £570 that's a tad salty. 

But.......

The 234x 55x 110 looks interesting.........

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

@woodenhead sparked a bit of a ikea frenzy yesterday evening. Turns out I can revamp the supportive arrangements in the Room of Doom using BROR kits to give an 'L' shaped structure on two walls for a smidge over £300. Still not cheap but they appear pretty damn sturdy and will provide additional storage space. Memsahib did the maths and it appears by mixing and matching components this is possible. Should we do something in the attic at a later date, they can be dismantled and transferred there, something that we couldn't do at present. 

A trip to ikea is therefore being arranged to conduct a ''feasibility study''. 

The 7mm bits and bobs have now been boxed up and await their calling and focus returns to 4mm and prepping Sheep Dip for Larkrail. 

130506193_Larkrail2023.jpg.d92cb68c1de2d9552970945f7e1c2e0d.jpg.472ea33a2b21510a15dead858ce7b2c7-1.jpg.59e6b35c51fffffcc463d6c46e68ab8f.jpg

This truly a delightful day out. If any of you can get there then not only would it be lovely to see you but you will see some cracking layouts which will do much to inspire. I'll be there to provide balance.

Well worth the trip. 

Rob

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 16
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

I'll be there to provide balance.

Ha your modelling musings will be right at home there. Look forward to seeing it. The only balance required is a cuppa in one hand and cake in the other. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

18 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Afternoon Wooders, 

Good thought but the verticals would be tricky and at £570 that's a tad salty. 

But.......

The 234x 55x 110 looks interesting.........

3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

A trip to ikea is therefore being arranged to conduct a ''feasibility study''. 

130506193_Larkrail2023.jpg.d92cb68c1de2d9552970945f7e1c2e0d.jpg.472ea33a2b21510a15dead858ce7b2c7-1.jpg.59e6b35c51fffffcc463d6c46e68ab8f.jpg

Always worth a look in the returns section of Ikea to see if anything usefull is there. Having been asked to provide a layout for a show in September next year! I was hoping that some Lack shelves might still be remaining at my local store, but no. The Linnmon table tops looked ideal, same construction 34mm thick and flat.

Managed to get a 140cm x 60cm return with some holes in it for £7, plus a new 100cm x 60cm for a fiddle yard. Total cost £23...

IMG20230602150715.jpg.59d41329fd38e6f515e33936a0f134a4.jpg

IMG20230602150840.jpg.824b70f73af13328e4beea7027317aa1.jpg

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/06/2023 at 09:17, NHY 581 said:

Thanks Louis. 

Rob

Hi Rob

Would be interested to see your ideas for a dockside plan.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 01/07/2023 at 12:54, Asterix2012 said:

Hi Rob

Would be interested to see your ideas for a dockside plan.

Morning *, 

The 7mm layout, when I get to it, will probably be a variation on Sheep Lane, rather than a marine inspired job. Little mire than an aggravated shunting plank really. 

As mentioned I have a 7mm plan in mind but the next project will certainly be the East Anglian BLT which I will look to start in September/October which will correspond with a revamp of the Room of Doom. ( thanks @woodenhead!)

Rob

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2