NHY 581

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I think the problem with doing Caerphilly in '23 livery, would be the requirement for a 3500 gallon tender.

Easy enough as they have them for the 28xx and Star.

Morning Sibbers, 

It illustrates Hornby's lack of awareness/ focus. The significance of 1923 was seen as an opportunity to to milk the cash cow that the Flying Shatsman is perceived as and new tooling was produced to provide us with the various incarnations of this locomotive at every stage of her life, priced at over £300 each.......... 

The only company Hornby would have struggledwith, in terms of an existing model in the range suitable for a 1923 incarnation was the LMS. 

They have a Urie King Arthur, they have a Castle, they have/and did an A1. 

Blinkered. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Right, little woolley cells up and running so following on from the above bleat........

If Hornby really wanted to impress the Sheep and capitalise on their existing tooling......Given Hornby's undeniable skill at executing intricate liveries...

They've  already produced an early L&NER J15 with the original GER roofline. Tool up for a GER stove pipe to replace the NER type of chimney and also tool up for a tender top without the extended coal rails. Result ? A pretty passable GER Y14 which could appear in GER Blue ( !!!!!!!!! ) GER Grey or even ROD something or other. Stunning in it's own right but perfect to link in with Rapido's S56 ( J69 ) set to arrive in GER Blue next year and their J70 in GER blue ( and later GER Red/Grey ) hopefully here for Crimbo. Add in Hatton Genesis GER coaches which are also in for a December delivery and we have the makings of a nice pre-1914 GER  branch line....................

Pre-grouping is definitely a growing are, both for the trainset player and builder as well as the collector. 

Missing from yesterday's post are the new batch of Dapol B4s which include a delicious L&SWR Green job, the Hawthorn Leslie 0.4.0st as well as next year's re-release by Hattons of their P class which includes another example in SE&CR Wainwright Green as well as the short lived wartime green as 178 ( Very yum ) and another example in Southern Green....

Dapol's GWR toplights are also on the horizon and tgese look promising and let's not over look the GWR steam Railmotor from Kernow. We of course really 'need' the equivalent L&SWR railmotor, an earlier Beastly Wool tank and a LSWR liveried O2 with earlier Adams stovepipe and boiler fittings...

And while were at it, what about Hornby doing a Drummond livery on their early L&SWR tooled Radial.......mmmm

Oh....and and......if Rails/Dapol couple do their Terrier as 734/735, the L&SWR Lamb Regis pair as we slready have Hattons knocking out their L&SWR Genesis coaches.........

Rob

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Right, little woolley cells up and running so following on from the above bleat........

If Hornby really wanted to impress the Sheep and capitalise on their existing tooling......Given Hornby's undeniable skill at executing intricate liveries...

They've  already produced an early L&NER J15 with the original GER roofline. Tool up for a GER stove pipe to replace the NER type of chimney and also tool up for a tender top without the extended coal rails. Result ? A pretty passable GER Y14 which could appear in GER Blue ( !!!!!!!!! ) GER Grey or even ROD something or other. Stunning in it's own right but perfect to link in with Rapido's S56 ( J69 ) set to arrive in GER Blue next year and their J70 in GER blue ( and later GER Red/Grey ) hopefully here for Crimbo. Add in Hatton Genesis GER coaches which are also in for a December delivery and we have the makings of a nice pre-1914 GER  branch line....................

Pre-grouping is definitely a growing are, both for the trainset player and builder as well as the collector. 

Missing from yesterday's post are the new batch of Dapol B4s which include a delicious L&SWR Green job, the Hawthorn Leslie 0.4.0st as well as next year's re-release by Hattons of their P class which includes another example in SE&CR Wainwright Green as well as the short lived wartime green as 178 ( Very yum ) and another example in Southern Green....

Dapol's GWR toplights are also on the horizon and tgese look promising and let's not over look the GWR steam Railmotor from Kernow. We of course really 'need' the equivalent L&SWR railmotor, an earlier Beastly Wool tank and a LSWR liveried O2 with earlier Adams stovepipe and boiler fittings...

And while were at it, what about Hornby doing a Drummond livery on their early L&SWR tooled Radial.......mmmm

Oh....and and......if Rails/Dapol couple do their Terrier as 734/735, the L&SWR Lamb Regis pair as we slready have Hattons knocking out their L&SWR Genesis coaches.........

Rob

You're going to need a bigger Room of Doom...

• Agree 7
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Sibbers, 

It illustrates Hornby's lack of awareness/ focus. The significance of 1923 was seen as an opportunity to to milk the cash cow that the Flying Shatsman is perceived as and new tooling was produced to provide us with the various incarnations of this locomotive at every stage of her life, priced at over £300 each.......... 

The only company Hornby would have struggledwith, in terms of an existing model in the range suitable for a 1923 incarnation was the LMS. 

They have a Urie King Arthur, they have a Castle, they have/and did an A1. 

Blinkered. 

Rob. 

Rob if I may just comment on the Hornby comment. I read somewhere that they have made somewhere in the region of £93 million and have had a change of senior staff, with a new M.D. So that may have had something to do with it.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

You're going to need a bigger Room of Doom...

Um............

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Well, yesterday saw a track cleaning session on Bleat Wharf. There was a bit of grot to remove ! 

This morning should see a bit of making good as I was clearly in a clumsy frame of mind and clouted a sign with my hoof and knocked a chimney pot off. The latter I have no idea regarding why or how. 

I also need to replace a short length of track in the fiddly area providing the entry yo the layout which has come adrift. Once that's done, we should be able to give something a run. 

The re-zing of the static grass will have to wait until Monday evening. The can of layering spray I thought I had in stock turns out not to be........

Enough to be going on with. Biggest issue is that of supporting the longer layout. The original support is long gone so that needs attending to before the layout gets set up. 

I have a couple of ideas.........

Rob

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 7

On 08/09/2023 at 23:40, F-UnitMad said:

Oi..!! That's my line!! 🙄🤣🤣👍..... ok and I copied it from a t-shirt I saw a chap wearing recently...🤔🤫

If I had to guess, I'd say it was an LMM t-shirt, quite popular in my group of friends. I personally have one saying "Oh look, Gubbins".

7 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning all,

Well, yesterday saw a track cleaning session on Bleat Wharf. There was a bit of grot to remove ! 

This morning should see a bit of making good as I was clearly in a clumsy frame of mind and clouted a sign with my hoof and knocked a chimney pot off. The latter I have no idea regarding why or how. 

I also need to replace a short length of track in the fiddly area providing the entry yo the layout which has come adrift. Once that's done, we should be able to give something a run. 

The re-zing of the static grass will have to wait until Monday evening. The can of layering spray I thought I had in stock turns out not to be........

Enough to be going on with. Biggest issue is that of supporting the longer layout. The original support is long gone so that needs attending to before the layout gets set up. 

I have a couple of ideas.........

Rob

Just for interest how do you clean your track with the aim of good slow running?

A fan. 🤣

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, itsthegman said:

Just for interest how do you clean your track with the aim of good slow running?

A fan. 🤣

Well.......

There was much input from our learned Ovine Collective not so long ago when I asked what others did.

I've now settled on using Track Magic on the rail tops and the areas where the switch blades come into contact with the stock rails. I then apply a few strokes of a HB pencil to the switch/stock rails. 

Loco wheels are also given a good clean. 

This is normally enough for a one day show but track is cleaned at the end of day one and being the fussy sheep I am, I clean the track again the following morning. 

Loco wheels normally survive both days without being touched. 

Rob

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Agreed, obviously needs a miniature Flying Scotsman to add the finishing touch 

No it doesn’t.

10 hours ago, Gilbert said:

I knew it needed the final touch....well done sir...

What have we said about encouraging him.......?

6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Are we back to those godawful cuckoo clocks again?

Thankfully, no. 

SB

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

Stafford looms large. Hopefully the few remaining jobs will get sorted today and Bleat can be packed up tomorrow morning ready for Friday. 

Looking forward to the show and to catching up with those of you that can make it there. Looks to be a cracker. 

Rob

• Like 4