Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, 2ManySpams said:

Plonk the new board to one side. Don't do anything rash like getting shot of it or trashing it. Play trains and enjoy the layouts you have. Spend a bit of time adding detail and titivating the scenes and stock. 

Thanks Chris. Wise words, as always and there are indeed little touches required to both. 

Rob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, mullie said:

Back to East Anglia,  you know you want to. 

J15

J15

J15........

Morning Martyn. 

Crossed my mind and I gave a J15 a run on EWE last night. Nothing feels right at present so I'm not starting anything new for the foreseeable. 

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 9

3 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Thanks Chris. Wise words, as always and there are indeed little touches required to both. 

Rob

Of course the variation on that is to spend time titivating yourself. Hmm perhaps that same thing.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear this Rob. Been looking forwards to seeing this progress.

Glad you've decided to take the 'quicky, layout off sale as well. Bit like Chris says don't do anything rash.

I think the concept is there and it was certainly charming seeing your collection of LSWR stock.

Sometimes I do wonder about the concept of a generic layout which can absorb most your modelling interests.

Have a break away from it and come back with fresh eyes.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Of course the variation on that is to spend time titivating yourself. Hmm perhaps that same thing.

Apparently dear SheepBloke has already had a minor incident this morning doing just that. Thankfully I've not seen the photos....

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I’m constantly resisting the urge to start something new, the irony being I haven’t touched Middleton Top at all this month due to lack of time. I suspect we both collect lots of bits…enough to make more layouts. I still have Llanyblod languishing on a shelf waiting to be finished. 

Theres an excitement in starting a new project that’s hard to resist!

Jay

Edited by JustinDean
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Live reporting from Pontecarlo...

Sheep Lane ...

Sheep Lane looking great as ever in new hooves..

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
On 23/01/2024 at 18:56, John Besley said:

Happy days, Don't remember Ken Hoole, but defiantly Les Richards as the locomotive inspector with George Hinchcliff as his guvnor, it was Les who said in a deep Scottish accent one morning after starting early to help clean and light up Scotsman 'come here boy let's make a driver out of you' and so it was that under Les guidance I moved 4472 off the shed road, up to the Sands Road crossing and back over the pit road.... 

George and Les stayed in the hotel opposite Paignton station by Woolies, I remember going over there early one morning to get George when we discovered the flanges had been wearing - resulting in Scotsmen coming out of traffic to have her tyres repofiled by fitting a tool to the brake blocks and turning 4472 into her own wheel lathe being propelled by 6412 and yes it did work as we did the same in Easter 1975 with 7827 only the Manor was in steam when we did that. 

My memory isn't what it was (!) and you're quite right about Les Richards (don't know where I got Ken Hoole from!🙃) You're quite right about the flange issue. IIRC TSR had removed the greasers from Kingwear and one lot was blaming the other for the rail and flange wear! Happy days!

One very happy memory was a footplate ride to KW and back!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

From Grahame's thread

NOT the Bridge of Sighs.....maybe a few Oooohs ! and Aaaaahs !

I've briefly dropped back on the Italian thingy whilst my head was in that zone last night.

Thinking of a Ponte to carry the railway above and came up with a design of my own.

Using my trusty Silhouette cutter and some good quality picture framing card I cut out the basic design together with a few embellishments around the circular brick inlays.

Here is the start with some generic Italian brick overlay made from a panel I downloaded and played around with, printed onto an A4 sticky backed label.

The arch inlays will get a painted finish eventually.....

And with some embellishments to the round insets....

Lisanno6.jpg.70b438657035c088155ff43538356ecc.jpg

More to be done when I get more inspiration ! 

Lisanno7.jpg.7f943ac9c5dd06a915257ea805d848fa.jpg

We (10800 and me)  have got all these lovely buildings and will be building the layout in his memory that we think was in Grahame's mind.

Gosh, two years since his passing. Really do miss the old ***!

Grahame and Ricey at Holcombe Scalefour exhibition.

GrahameandRicey1.jpg.3b4e1e97248279667a59cb41c7b0d4a4.jpg

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Funny, I was only thinking of GBloke the other day when I came across something he very kindly sent me to help with Pencarrow. Very kind, very generous and very funny chap. 

I did acquire his silhouette cutter, a couple of wagons and quite a lot of paints in his estate sale. I've also got some odds and sods from the estate sale of Iain Rice. I would like to think that some of their skill and inspiration has soaked into my modelling room but I suspect not.🤣

I'll be raising a glass to him tonight.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

this evening marks the passing of a great friend

A nice tribute in your post Rob.

There have been a few people pass away over the last few months who have created very nice layouts and topics on RMWeb. I know one layout has been pinned to the top of the layout pages, but I've wondered if there might be a better receptacle/ archive for 'past members' work and contributions?

Without the pinning, they will just sink down the live list. But I realise you can't just end up with numerous pinned topics.

I'm sure there are probably other issues as well, such as the cost of storage space on the interweb. 

Just a thought.

I hope your mojo returns soon Rob

• Like 6
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Fishplate said:

A nice tribute in your post Rob.

There have been a few people pass away over the last few months who have created very nice layouts and topics on RMWeb. I know one layout has been pinned to the top of the layout pages, but I've wondered if there might be a better receptacle/ archive for 'past members' work and contributions?

Without the pinning, they will just sink down the live list. But I realise you can't just end up with numerous pinned topics.

I'm sure there are probably other issues as well, such as the cost of storage space on the interweb. 

Just a thought.

I hope your mojo returns soon Rob

This is probably a question for @AY Mod

On the relatively short time I’ve been on here we’ve lost a few inspirational folk, notably to me Mick Bonwick and Jonathon aka @Rowsley17D  who were helpful in my own endeavors and lovely chaps. 
I didn’t know BGMan but you spoke about him at the last SWAG - that was a lovely tribute mate. 

Jay

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• Moderators
15 hours ago, keefr2 said:

And let's not forget;

For the slightly quieter moments.... 😎

Keith

My favourite Welsh voice! Her and Eve Myles do something to me.

• Like 4
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

My memory isn't what it was (!) and you're quite right about Les Richards (don't know where I got Ken Hoole from!🙃) You're quite right about the flange issue. IIRC TSR had removed the greasers from Kingwear and one lot was blaming the other for the rail and flange wear! Happy days!

One very happy memory was a footplate ride to KW and back!

I thnk it was Ashley the ganger who walked the length every week who flagged the issue up having found evidence of flange side cutting in the wooded area below Greenaway

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

My favourite Welsh voice! Her and Eve Myles do something to me.

Oh dear.....I've come over all unnecessary......

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

It's something I've often wrestled with but never resolved. Maybe an 'In memory of' subforum within the layouts section? Should they be locked or remain open?

That's a nice idea Andy. 

Perhaps they become locked after a period of time for any final comments, such as Robs above? Those topics will then become the RMWeb equivalent of the old pile of Railway Magazines that people can look back at.

• Like 7
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Fishplate said:

That's a nice idea Andy. 

Perhaps they become locked after a period of time for any final comments, such as Robs above? Those topics will then become the RMWeb equivalent of the old pile of Railway Magazines that people can look back at.

I agree with this. 
most not just we have fond memories of these folks but there’s masses of knowledge stowed away in these threads. 

Jay

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

I agree with this. 
most not just we have fond memories of these folks but there’s masses of knowledge stowed away in these

1 hour ago, Fishplate said:

That's a nice idea Andy. 

threads. 

Jay

I started a thread years ago about 'older inspirational layouts', which still pops up now and then, and proved quite popular.  I think allowing new posts would be positive as new material keeps appearing.

I'm all for a sub-forum of remembrance of articles, photos etc of our departed friends layouts and thoughts.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3