43 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I find that comment offensive!

I’m dyslexic and I’m also a member of the ERN (National Dyslexic Association)

I know, I remember the hate mail I got last time I mentioned dyslexia.

"Lerve us xylliads alone you winker!"

Or something.

I don't retain mathematical formulas very well. I'm actually good at maths (was top set in middle school) but I had to remind myself how to do a certain type of applied maths every time I did it.

Arithmetic, I was bang on. I was simply dismissed as lazy, my maths teacher took to ridiculing me, so I just didn't bother going anymore.  I passed a CEE in maths at 17 and took a nightschool GCSE to prove a point about six years later.

I ended up with a BSc and BA and worked in engineering all over the world. 

I could have done really well if I hadn't been lazy! :jester:

Edited by MrWolf
PostScript!
  • Like 7
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, keefr2 said:

Do the two ERN's (I honestly don't know what they really are!) work well Rob?

Keith

Yes, the Terriers are okay.  Nothing that a bit of running in won't resolve and nowhere near the issues aflicting the Peckett. 

There is a difference between something that is fundamentally flawed  and something that just needs to bed in. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

There is a difference between something that is fundamentally flawed  and something that just needs to bed in. 

Have you been talking to my other half?

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

I have a locomotive that was fundamentally flawed.

P1010309_Cropped.jpg.a797405011577d4a7f568416650739b9.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 16

Well done.  I always say that you can never have too many Terriers.

My Isle of Wight ones run nicely and 'Brighton Works' is probably the best looking and running loco I've had for many a year.

I also have three pedigree ones and they are all dogs.  Two have bent footplates and a replacement was just as bad.  The third had several pieces broken and that dreadful cab rear

glued in at an angle.

I have one in pieces to rebuild.  However the more I look at it the more I think it's not worth the effort.  Rolvenden dump anyone?

Rodney

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

9 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

You have my sympathy.

A friend did that recently with a kit built C12.  It went from the loft to the landing and then to the ground floor.  Not a pretty sight.

Rodney

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

P1010309_Cropped.jpg.a797405011577d4a7f568416650739b9.jpg

Bloody hell fire !!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, RodneyS said:

Well done.  I always say that you can never have too many Terriers.

My Isle of Wight ones run nicely and 'Brighton Works' is probably the best looking and running loco I've had for many a year.

I also have three pedigree ones and they are all dogs.  Two have bent footplates and a replacement was just as bad.  The third had several pieces broken and that dreadful cab rear

glued in at an angle.

I have one in pieces to rebuild.  However the more I look at it the more I think it's not worth the effort.  Rolvenden dump anyone?

Rodney

I did consider a Rails Terrier but after reading of the QC issues, a tentative approach quickly turned to a decline. Never say never of course. 

That said, these two are quite jolly types. I've long liked the look of the Isle of Wight Terriers and to be fair to Hornby, they nail the Southern Olive livery. 

Next up will be running in and if successful with that, etched plates and bunker number plates.......and weathering.....

Rob. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Well, the Peckett was returned.............

20210601_213335-01.jpeg

So you'll be wanting some Isle of Wight related sheep puns then! Bembridge would lend itself well to your usual formula I'd have thought, as would many of the stations on the Freshwater line.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I would suggest the Old Smithy at Godshill, (well the restaurant bit), as an excellent place to plan research trips over a huge breakfast. Then you can take a break there for lunch and a selection from the huge cake cabinet . . . 
I spent many weekends over there a few years ago investigating the old lines with regular breaks for tea there ;) 

They also had a fair few books in the shop including the MP series titles on the IoW lines to aid research :)  Very agreeable way to explore the Island. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Bloody hell fire !!!

If you ever want to drive a locomotive onto the floor  a Bachmann 4MT is the one to use. All that happened to this one was the doors fell off and ended up outside the workshop door. It still works very well, right down to a crawl, and does not need to be sent back to the retailer. That don't build 'em like they used to.

Edited by Mick Bonwick
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

The Hattons Andrew Barclay’s don’t like hitting the floor either, worse when you’ve got hard laminate flooring :unsure:

Bloody hell fire 2 !!!!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Nick C said:

So you'll be wanting some Isle of Wight related sheep puns then! Bembridge would lend itself well to your usual formula I'd have thought, as would many of the stations on the Freshwater line.

Once again I find myself on a bit of a sheep learning curve in relation to a railway system which I am aware of.........but not necessarily knowledgeable about.

And yes, there will be sheep puns.........and yes, I do like the cut of Bembridge's jib.  Don't you know. 

Yes indeed. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Over excited.
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Bloody hell fire 2 !!!!

The problem with DCC when to tell it to stop and forget you’ve programmed it to gradually slow down....oh and not gluing on a buffer stop doesn’t help either :scratchhead:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

The problem with DCC when to tell it to stop and forget you’ve programmed it to gradually slow down....oh and not gluing on a buffer stop doesn’t help either :scratchhead:

You need one of these:

984429867_emergencypoweroffswitch.jpg.5f14a33f7489d82ae51c9760152fa595.jpg

So do I!

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2