• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I also hoped to use PECO concrete platform edging which appears to be slightly different to that I have seen in piccies. But I can't quite work out when concreteage started to appear on the Island....yet

Southern concrete was discussed here https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79762-concrete/

I don't think it answers your question as to when it reached the IOW, but concrete (at least as far as the Southern Railway is concerned) seems to have started with the LSWR just before grouping, so somewhere in the period 1920-30 would be my guess.

Hope this helps

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Moxy said:

Southern concrete was discussed here https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79762-concrete/

I don't think it answers your question as to when it reached the IOW, but concrete (at least as far as the Southern Railway is concerned) seems to have started with the LSWR just before grouping, so somewhere in the period 1920-30 would be my guess.

Hope this helps

Exmouth Junction Concrete Works opened in 1913, and the LSWR issued its first "Catalogue of Concrete Products" the following year.

John

• Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning all. 

I think Lambstone has the edge in terms of sheepy names. Place names ending in 'stone' pop up on the Island although Lambswater sounds quite nice as well { although it does sound like a bit of a dodgy type of eau de toilette }. 

There is an outsider.....of which perhaps more anon. 

There are however,  a few additional things which go hoof in mitten that I failed to consider when I acquired the ERNs.....{ Which incidently  I find are utterly charming little chaps and perhaps just what was needed }

There needs to be at least one more added to the roster and this will need renaming/renumbering. Not too much of an issue as the distinctive name plates are available from a couple of sources as are the bunker number plates. 

I have no 1930s wagons or coaches........but of course they are available. Three 4 whl or 6 whl coaches should do the trick and a dozen or so wagons. I have a couple of kits in stock but rtr is once again my generic friend here.

I have a nice timber station building, not the one originally destined for Lambton. Something else and I would like to use this. However, I'm not seeing much in the way of timber railway structures on the Island. Brick and stone and some wriggly tin types but not timber. However, I do have a plan...of sorts. 

I also hoped to use PECO concrete platform edging which appears to be slightly different to that I have seen in piccies. But I can't quite work out when concreteage started to appear on the Island....yet

There might well have to be a  tonie downie of my general dilapidatory, overgrownesque, thoroughly down at heel appearance approachy .........ish....this little terminus might not be doing so well pre-war....

Therefore, I foresee that a quite outrageous application of rule one will be conducted in respect of a lot, if not all of the above. 

I thank you. 

Rob. 

Ewe are going to be OK Rob as there were a few different designs of Concretus Platformus. Panic not and just dip your hoof in and do your usual flocking great job of weathering.

Got a bit of that Peco facing if you want it; no slopy bits though. Free to a good Flocking bloke, no fleecing from friends like.

Baaasil.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Too Welsh, iznit, look ewe. 

Would Greatbaaaaah be too brummie*?

*Probably an offensive term these days but no offence intended

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

There needs to be at least one more added to the roster and this will need renaming/renumbering. Not too much of an issue as the distinctive name plates are available from a couple of sources as are the bunker number plates. 

Be careful with renumbering as there were plenty of variations. W10 could be renumbered to W8, W11 or W12. W14 in that condition is only suitable for W14 - the other two later locos (9 & 13) both had Marsh chimneys.

I have no 1930s wagons or coaches........but of course they are available. Three 4 whl or 6 whl coaches should do the trick and a dozen or so wagons. I have a couple of kits in stock but rtr is once again my generic friend here.

IMHO the Hattons 4-wheelers look like a decent likeness of the LCDR stock that was sent over in the late 20s. There were also two rakes of Stroudley 4-wheelers, but they went quite early, before the post-32 condition of the Terriers. There weren't any 6-wheelers on the island. Wagons are easy - the new Kernow brake van, and a handful of Cambrian LBSCR opens will cover most of your needs.

I have a nice timber station building, not the one originally destined for Lambton. Something else and I would like to use this. However, I'm not seeing much in the way of timber railway structures on the Island. Brick and stone and some wriggly tin types but not timber. However, I do have a plan...of sorts. 

Havenstreet's platform was built in 1926, and looks like concrete - but without the distinctive ribs, so presumably cast in place rather than brought over from Exmouth. Newchurch had a wooden building, but all the rest as far as I can see, were brick. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Be careful with renumbering as there were plenty of variations. W10 could be renumbered to W8, W11 or W12. W14 in that condition is only suitable for W14 - the other two later locos (9 & 13) both had Marsh chimneys.

IMHO the Hattons 4-wheelers look like a decent likeness of the LCDR stock that was sent over in the late 20s. There were also two rakes of Stroudley 4-wheelers, but they went quite early, before the post-32 condition of the Terriers. There weren't any 6-wheelers on the island. Wagons are easy - the new Kernow brake van, and a handful of Cambrian LBSCR opens will cover most of your needs.

Havenstreet's platform was built in 1926, and looks like concrete - but without the distinctive ribs, so presumably cast in place rather than brought over from Exmouth. Newchurch had a wooden building, but all the rest as far as I can see, were brick. 

Afternoon Nick. 

I'm grateful for your insight. I had set some time aside to study possible alternatives for No10 and No 14. 

My take on it  will be a tad whimsical but hopefully hint at the inspiration. As ever, the test will be how things look without stock present...........

As for the presence of 6whl coaches..........a liberal dose of rule one might be administered.......

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

No problem - I lived on the island for a few years a kid, and my first strong railway memories were of the IoW Steam Railway, so I've developed quite a fondness for the island's railways. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Although the station buildings were mostly brick the wooden architecture was used for boxes and goods sheds so not too much of a jump to have a wooden station building. 
Nice pic of the tiny Ventnor West box here for inspiration 

https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=153413

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Although the station buildings were mostly brick the wooden architecture was used for boxes and goods sheds so not too much of a jump to have a wooden station building. 
Nice pic of the tiny Ventnor West box here for inspiration 

https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=153413

Aside from rhe signal box, there is a lot of interesting detail in that photo. The coaches behind and the somersault signal for starters....

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Sew.....

This sounds like a Landmark thread in the making !

Needle.jpg.6b4489a9e0f8c32bcf6045ddbfb0457d.jpg

Needle-ss I will be watching with interest Mr. Sheepmiester !

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 2

• NHY 581 changed the title to The Sheep Chronicles : Chapter 5: Shearing- A sheep, a cat and a few small dogs on an island. These are the continuing adventures of Norman Lockhart, connoisseur of traditional British breakfasts and well filled baps.
  • RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Ahem..............

We have a name for the proposed Isle of Wightesque dalliance.........

I give ewe............

Shearing. 

A bijou line terminus. 

I know just the way for you to do some local research:

https://www.shearings.com/holidays/isle-of-wight-weekend

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Northroader said:

05FE2B49-C9B7-4165-A57D-79216A965803.jpeg.a4e5b5bcac299781525ec4741726bd1c.jpegx

Knitting Needle is a bit too long..........

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I know just the way for you to do some local research:

https://www.shearings.com/holidays/isle-of-wight-weekend

Too comfortable. Long trips normally involve me and a lot of friends in a lorry. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Looks really nice. IoW atmosphere already.

John

ps Hope those two Terriers are on a lead. You know what happens when they get in amongst the sheep . . . . .

• Like 2
  • Agree 1