• RMweb Gold

Once this is complete, I then sit back to see what we have got. Sometimes, I will leave it overnight or a few days. I find looking with a fresh pair of eyes allows you to reassess your efforts. For me, this is the best approach. Sometimes more powders are applied or some removed depending on how I see it. If I add to the finish, another light dusting of varnish is applied.

Once happy, I brush the model with a stiff make up brush. Depending again on the pressure applied, I aim for a burnished metal look.This will highlight bolt detail, springs etc....

That then is that. I accept my 'technique' is not very orthodox and a bit rough and ready but it gives me a finish that I am happy with.

If you fancy a go then please do use something you are not worried about to practice on as I am no expert in this.

Rob.

post-14122-0-56935600-1480166418_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Very nice,have you the codes for those powders please.

Hi Rob,

AV0001 Smoke

AV0004 Black

AV0006 Iron oxide.

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear, I know you meant well.

I mean, I'm sure you did. It really was very kind of you to suggest something other than a sausage.

I've already explained that I'm no longer allowed to mention sausages because I have a whole set of MRJs in the house.

I can eat most things, but lentils are one of the few foods that are banned in my house for reasons that will have to remain obscure, sorry!

Perhaps a vegetable and ham soup, now that would be nice.

Actually I don't do lentils either, except in that soup... Perhaps you could post a "not in my stomach" list so there's no risk of making the same sausages again.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Leek and Ham soup....forget the lentils wot I mentuned elsewhere. However, split peas go well with the mix.

Now I'm off to pray for those in peril at Warley......poor ####.

Ar$e

I have used all the rest of the Kernow Ham Mountain up, by mixing the ham with some tomato and mixed herbs, frying for a while in a little olive oil, then adding some eggs and milk, to make a kind of omelette.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Kinder Omlettes are lovely. Any eggcuse for a bit of egg.

Spookily, SWMBO, without any prompting or having read this secret thread, bought some ham chibbles from our Butcher this very day. I had some with my GF pasta, home made (not by me) Pesto and grated Parmesan this lunch-time. Sadly the ham, although cured, has not cured my back and hip problem.

Ar$e

• RMweb Gold

Just bumbling through some old photos and found this......

These really are most attractive locos, splendidly modelled by Hornby.

post-14122-0-14807200-1480187637_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Those 'cruel' close ups aren't so cruel after all.  Quite impressive detailing and weathering.  A comment though; nicely made, a variety in technique wouldn't come amiss as even I can now tell your handiwork; from one who eschews weathering and probably shouldn't make comments! :unsure:

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

For Mark.....

A day out down to Sheep Lane today. Norman Lockhart recoded these images whilst the rest of the tourists sampled the delights of the Duck and Cover public house.

Unfortunately, whilst the RCTS headboard could be found, that of the Bath Railway Enthusiast And Sylvan Travel Society (B.R.E.A.S.T.S), could not be located. Well patronised, the tour included Jonty Chambers, on leave from Juniper Hill, Hugh Ballantees, Ivor Peterborough, the renowned Forest of Dean photographer, Ashley Benworth, Derek Crosspatch, R.C. Wolsley and Eric Tracey.

All in all, a good day with much corduroy, tweed and leather elbow patches..

Rob. 

post-14122-0-57585400-1480192671_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-87725300-1480192755_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-98042000-1480192828_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-60295400-1480192872_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-38558900-1480192911_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Leek and Ham soup....forget the lentils wot I mentuned elsewhere. However, split peas go well with the mix.

Now I'm off to pray for those in peril at Warley......poor ####.

Ar$e

Leek or pea, same difference on the radio.

• RMweb Gold

Leek or pea, same difference on the radio.

Might be on the radio but catastrophically different in one's pyjamas.....

• RMweb Gold

All in all, a good day with much corduroy, tweed and leather elbow patches..

Hopefully accompanied with some rough sh@g?.....

Thanks Rob. :imsohappy:

A lovely set of snaps capturing what looks to have been a perfect RCTS outing with esteemed company.

Now I wonder if the the film footage Ivo Peterborough took of this jolly will ever be found?

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Norman is under the weather, hence his late attendance at Sheep Lane today.

The rail tour yesterday went very well with many of the attendees agreeing that Sheep Lane was one of the nicest back routes they had explored in a long time.

Norman adjourned to the snug at the Duck and Cover, joining the rest of the chaps. Several pints of Fister's Old Dutch Porter did Norman some damage though. If it wasn't for Molly finding Norman in the hedge on her way home from the caff, he might have spent the night there. Norman had a rather nice memory of a delightful conversation with Molly, on the way home, about sausage and how he liked her doing his. She laughed and replied that she enjoyed popping his sausages into her soft baps, with plenty of butter. It was the highlight of her day she said. Norman liked it when Molly let him give those baps a squeeze to check how fresh they were. They were always pleasantly warm, having just been taken out.

Just when he thought it couldn't get any better, Norman found an old friend at Sheep Lane this morning, in the form of Bath's 43875 worrying a few wagons.

He rattled off a few images before jumping back into Murray and heading off to the caff.

Today was a good day.

Rob.

post-14122-0-77552400-1480246161_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-55167500-1480246187_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-05361300-1480246214_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-70732200-1480246241_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Norman is under the weather, hence his late attendance at Sheep Lane today.

The rail tour yesterday went very well with many of the attendees agreeing that Sheep Lane was one of the nicest back routes they had explored in a long time.

Norman adjourned to the snug at the Duck and Cover, joining the rest of the chaps. Several pints of Fister's Old Dutch Porter did Norman some damage though. If it wasn't for Molly finding Norman in the hedge on her way home from the caff, he might have spent the night there. Norman had a rather nice memory of a delightful conversation with Molly, on the way home, about sausage and how he liked her doing his. She laughed and replied that she enjoyed popping his sausages into her soft baps, with plenty of butter. It was the highlight of her day she said. Norman liked it when Molly let him give those baps a squeeze to check how fresh they were. They were always pleasantly warm, having just been taken out.

Just when he thought it couldn't get any better, Norman found an old friend at Sheep Lane this morning, in the form of Bath's 43875 worrying a few wagons.

He rattled off a few images before jumping back into Murray and heading off to the caff.

Today was a good day.

Rob.

Molly and 'Samantha' seem to have the same script writer.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Molly and 'Samantha' seem to have the same script writer.

Phil

Ahem................Do not let Norman hear you say that....Molly and her baps are quite unique...Thank you very much.....

Here we see a somewhat blurred image of Molly attending to Normans sausage......Norman was having some unfortunate issues with his lens.

post-14122-0-48194300-1480256768.jpeg

Edited by nhy581

• RMweb Gold

I thought I'd just mention, by the way, that I had what was probably the first proper modelling session for over two years this afternoon, as opposed to sessions testing point work and building layout covers. I have been fettling said point that I built over two years ago, removing some excess solder from the copper clad sleepers and putting a representation of wood grain on the copper clad. I have now washed the point in hot water and it's drying off, prior to me gluing plastic half-chairs in place.

That's all there is to say at the moment. I now have to conclude negotiations with CTMK as to who will make the tea tonight.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I thought I'd just mention, by the way, that I had what was probably the first proper modelling session for over two years this afternoon, as opposed to sessions testing point work and building layout covers. I have been fettling said point that I built over two years ago, removing some excess solder from the copper clad sleepers and putting a representation of wood grain on the copper clad. I have now washed the point in hot water and it's drying off, prior to me gluing plastic half-chairs in place.

That's all there is to say at the moment. I now have to conclude negotiations with CTMK as to who will make the tea tonight.

How do you do the wood grain effect please CK?

• RMweb Gold

How do you do the wood grain effect please CK?

In this instance, it's a combination of scraping with a curved scalpel blade and use of some fine-to-medium sandpaper type stuff.

It's worth remembering that it's not really necessary to over-do the wood grain effect, as from normal viewing distances, especially with new sleepers, the grain isn't immediately that obvious. You can also achieve some effects at the painting stage.

• RMweb Premium

In this instance, it's a combination of scraping with a curved scalpel blade and use of some fine-to-medium sandpaper type stuff.

It's worth remembering that it's not really necessary to over-do the wood grain effect, as from normal viewing distances, especially with new sleepers, the grain isn't immediately that obvious. You can also achieve some effects at the painting stage.

......especially if you use some gunge in the paint. I believe things like powder filler can work, however some of the 'sleeper grime' type of paint gives a textured finish.

Well done with real muddiling your Hightness CK. May I ask if you have experdimentled with the wooden sleeper/timber and plascticulkar chair track/point building method? Believe it or not I have builted sevrail EM points using that method and C & L C75 Rail and they are quite robusty.

Ducksar$e

I am just feeling a little less pi##ed off about not laying all my main track having seen the Pecobublee C75 Bullblob point to go with the Bullblob track announced recently. 

• RMweb Gold

May I ask if you have experdimentled with the wooden sleeper/timber and plascticulkar chair track/point building method?

I've not used that method, as although the bond is supposed to be pretty good between plastic chair and wooden sleeper, I prefer the assurance of bonding either metal to metal or plastic to plastic.