• RMweb Gold

Hi Keith.

For me, the rust is too orange and I prefer the darker red of the iron oxide. However, if used sparinglyit can provide an added bit of contrast, but not over doing it.

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This weekend may see an opportunity to do some work on adding detail to Sheep Lane. With it's first exhibition a little over four weeks away, I had better get a wiggle on.

Amongst other things, I want to add a loading gauge, detail the ground frame and add a little, though not too much, clutter about the place.

Biggest issue is the running of the Jinties followed by the 4F, both of which I plan to use on the day. Having cleaned the mechanisms, checked for tight spots and then lightly oiled their bits, I see no noticable improvement. I shall do it all again of course but other than buying another example of the Jinty ( I can just about live with the 4F ) as a quick fix, the only solution I can see is that of the previously alluded to after market chassis.

This is a long term solution and having now read the reviews of variuos examples, the high gear jobbie is what I will probably go for with a Brassmasters gubbins pack............but why? Could Bachmann not have got this right by now?

By the time you get every thing this adds up to quite a salty outlay.

I do have an example in S&DJR blue, a more recent DCC model and even that is not as smooth as I might like.

Saying that I can always just run a couple of 3F as both my example seem to be okay.

I also have a couple of wagons to add to the fleet most notable a Midland brake van and a few more opens..........and a couple of vans..........oh dear!!

Best get on with it and stop looking at a couple of Maunsell coaches destined for Mutton.

Rob

• Like 1

Rob, have a look at the gear on the axle, if it's nylon, they seem to be a force fit and have a habit of splitting (I've had a few do it now).

You can only really see the split with something like a loupe, but it does affect the running, making it notch or lumpy.

I spent ages on an 08, thinking it was the wheels or quartering only to find the gear was split........

Ps........when I replaced it I placed the axle in the freezer and the new gear in almost boiling water.

Crude, but it did work. Xx

Edited by BlackRat

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, Neil and to everyone who find time to drop by.

The encouragement that results from a simple click of 'like' cannot be measured. I'm sure we are all the same on such matters. It's almost a question of reassurance that I am going in the right direction as I am not so self assured to know it for myself at times...........

I am now off for a bit and hopefully will find a bit of time to progress matters over the holidays, to add the details alluded to in previous posts...

Rob.

• Like 6

Hi Rob,

I quite agree, a simple like is good for inspiration and helps to keep ones morale up.

I'll look forward to seeing this, although I'm still waiting for the first visit of a brand new green English Electric type 3!  :sungum:

Cheers

Wayne

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

'Likes' can be surprising too, when you look to see who is following your thread.

Totally agree, Stubbers, my old Welsh cake. I am extremely flattered that 47 fellow members take the time follow this thread and bring with it a fine array of individual skills and abilities.

I have to say that this thread has brought me into contact with a lot of very fine people.

Long may it continue.

Rob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You have more than 47 followers Rob.  It isn't a feature I make use of but yours is one of threads I read regularly.  I'm sure that must be true of many more RMwebbers who are, like me, entertained by the combination of quality modelling and humour.

• Like 1