• RMweb Gold

the only solution I can see is that of the previously alluded to after market chassis.

This is a long term solution and having now read the reviews of variuos examples, the high gear jobbie is what I will probably go for with a Brassmasters gubbins pack............but why?

Rob,

Whatever type of gearbox you go for, a higher geared example is best, preferably 50:1 or higher. The bigger the motor (that will fit in the body shell), the better, too. If you can also manage a flywheel, then that will also help.

If you check the High Level website out, I think there is a table showing the rpm of each Mashima motor.

If you didn't want to assemble a gearbox, then I think that DJH may still do pre-assembled ones, possibly even 50:1.

I've put etched brass chassis on a number of my RTR locos, as you may know, as I've also suffered from the inconsistent running that seems to affect so many Bachmann steam outline locos. It does seem to be a case of pot luck as to whether you get a good running one or now.

My best running loco is probably one of my original Mainline panniers, which had a new chassis (Perseverance) due to the original Mainline split chassis becoming life-expired. That is fitted with a DJH 62.5:1 gearbox (you can't get that particular ratio any longer), and runs really sweetly. I did build it before High Level gearboxes generally became available, but even if you put a DJH gearbox together yourself, they are very easy and have the advantage that they screw together, without having to be soldered.

• Like 1

You have more than 47 followers Rob.  It isn't a feature I make use of but yours is one of threads I read regularly.  I'm sure that must be true of many more RMwebbers who are, like me, entertained by the combination of quality modelling and humour.

Humour yes, something which sometimes is sadly lacking.....see the latest serious MRJ thread has quietly died a death with out it.

And the good thing is it often used to spark off different ideas or take things on a slightly different course.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Totally agree, Stubbers, my old Welsh cake. I am extremely flattered that 47 fellow members take the time follow this thread and bring with it a fine array of individual skills and abilities.

I have to say that this thread has brought me into contact with a lot of very fine people.

Long may it continue.

Rob.

See below.....

You have more than 47 followers Rob.  It isn't a feature I make use of but yours is one of threads I read regularly.  I'm sure that must be true of many more RMwebbers who are, like me, entertained by the combination of quality modelling and humour.

Teaky, You are most kind, thank you.  

Rob,

Whatever type of gearbox you go for, a higher geared example is best, preferably 50:1 or higher. The bigger the motor (that will fit in the body shell), the better, too. If you can also manage a flywheel, then that will also help.

If you check the High Level website out, I think there is a table showing the rpm of each Mashima motor.

If you didn't want to assemble a gearbox, then I think that DJH may still do pre-assembled ones, possibly even 50:1.

I've put etched brass chassis on a number of my RTR locos, as you may know, as I've also suffered from the inconsistent running that seems to affect so many Bachmann steam outline locos. It does seem to be a case of pot luck as to whether you get a good running one or now.

My best running loco is probably one of my original Mainline panniers, which had a new chassis (Perseverance) due to the original Mainline split chassis becoming life-expired. That is fitted with a DJH 62.5:1 gearbox (you can't get that particular ratio any longer), and runs really sweetly. I did build it before High Level gearboxes generally became available, but even if you put a DJH gearbox together yourself, they are very easy and have the advantage that they screw together, without having to be soldered.

Many thanks,CK. There is much food for thought there. I will do this after Christmas as I am quite frustrated by the running qualities of the Jinties in particular which really does blemish an otherwise splendid model.

Humour yes, something which sometimes is sadly lacking.....see the latest serious MRJ thread has quietly died a death with out it.

And the good thing is it often used to spark off different ideas or take things on a slightly different course.

Agreed Neil. I am quite serious about my modelling and have frightened myself a few times but.....and it's a big but.......my modelling is my safety valve. I use it to relax away from work. Life is far too short to be serious all of the time and life on this forum plays it's part in all of this.

I choose to play with toy trains. Railways have been part of me all of my life, my Dad bought me my first train set when I was three months old. I first read about the S&DJR in 'The Trains we Loved' by C Hamilton Ellis which my Dad bought for me when I was six. My first railway book I bought was Ivo Peters'An English Cross Country Railway'which I purchased for my 14th birthday.

I am not a rivet counter, I am very much 'if it looks right.....' and I find it very humbling that other people like what I am doing.

I shall leave now with another one of Normans favourite locomotives...

post-14122-0-08331900-1482187227_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-12891700-1482187247_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

......my modelling is my safety valve. I use it to relax away from work. Life is far too short to be serious all of the time and life on this forum plays it's part in all of this.

I choose to play with toy trains. ..........

I am not a rivet counter, I am very much 'if it looks right.....

This is so true, there's an amazing amount of factual information on here, but it's often difficult to wade through to pick out the necessary 'kernels'. The  humour though is more valuable in a way; if it's difficult to meet others of the same persuasion in real life, the sense of community here is a real pick-me-up when reality has been throwing all sorts of rubbish your way. Being able to enjoy what you do is so important and we all need a pragmatic acceptance of what you can and. importantly, what you can't achieve.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning Chaps. I have posted this elsewhere on the forum and repeat it here as I am at a bit of a loss.....

As part of my yearly quota of stupid questions, here's the latest.

In respect of the SR loading gauge as modelled by Ratio (412 SR Loading Gauge) what is the prototype construction?

Is it concrete or wood and therefore to be finished as painted wood or a finish to simulate concrete?

I've checked on the PECO website and the illustration appears to show an assembled but unpainted example.

All contributions gratefully received.....

Rob.

post-14122-0-31523000-1482312557.jpg

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, CK.

I was leaning that way as it were. I know Chris Nevard has one on Catcott Burtle and has finished it thus.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Indeed, CK.

I think that's the way to go with this. Concrete it is.

Rob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I dunno this one is pretty good too.

P.S. I was going to put in a link to enginewood.co.uk but the proprietor appears to have gone into the handbag business.  Is there something we should be told?

• RMweb Gold

P.S. I was going to put in a link to enginewood.co.uk but the proprietor appears to have gone into the handbag business. Is there something we should be told?

It is a rather nice train set and one which, along with Bleakhouse Road has provided much inspiration to me along the way.

I will have to confirm it but I am sure that there is mention of sausage at 0.45 secs....

Rob

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

P.S. I was going to put in a link to enginewood.co.uk but the proprietor appears to have gone into the handbag business.  Is there something we should be told?

You are very kind, I don't think I've seen that bit of film before.

It must have been taken at one of those shows when His Grace, the Baron Harrap brought his own rolling stock with tension lock couplings, so that he wouldn't have to fiddle with my three links! You can tell it's Harrap, because the fellow is wearing a name badge, the brazenness of it all!

The website you mention was taken down a few years ago, following a difference of opinion with our ISP over fees and the amount of 'stuff' we could have up there. The RMWeb blog was supposed to replace it, but hasn't quite done so yet.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Von Duck. Most useful.

I have used the afternoon constructively and now provide a few posts illustrating a small variety of loading gauges on the S&D. Not sure of the collective noun is for a group of loading gauges is. However, I now present;

'A Measure of loading gauges'

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Radstock.....Looks like 2 rails bolted together to form the post.

Sturminster....2 rails.....

post-14122-0-64026800-1482339462_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-23269000-1482339518_thumb.jpg

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Next, I shade a bit with the black before applying the smoke over everything. Fear not.........This tones down the iron oxide so that it's not so offensive on the eye.

At this stage it is all about blending the colours by eye until you are happy with it.

Once there, I secure it with a dusting of matt acrylic varnish. This bit is tricky and time spent applying the powders can be wasted. The varnish, if applied too heavily with cause lighter colours to disappear before your very eyes.........I know these things.....trust me. Also if we don't shake our can enough then we can get a light grey dusting in certain areas of the model.......I know that thing as well........

Rob,have you tried not using the matt varnish to see what the results are here.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning,Rob.

Yes I have. The powders don't stick that well and will not tolerate handling. The varnish needs dusting on. I spray from about a foot away and start in front of the wagon and spray over and past. I try to just do one pass so as not to spray too thick a coat.

If the wagon/coach/loco is not going to be handled too much then the varnish could be dispensed with I guess. That way the risk of losing the lighter colours would be minimised.

It really is trial and error until you find what works. Some advocate the use of hairspray but I have not tried this myself.

I add an old image to illustrate the variation that possible.

I am still working on it!!

Rob.

post-14122-0-79228400-1482487889_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rob.Another thing is I have bought the new Whitwick wagon from Bachmann and it comes with a half decent,new style, removeable load on a foam base.I'll post a photo on my thread anon.