• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Colin. Actually setting up on Saturday but I need all the luck I can muster.

I am having a trial erection in the dining room tonight.

Lots of little jobs to attend to. Trying to work through them but getting distracted.

Not at all confident about this but onward and um.....upward.

Rob.

Too much information Rob 

R.U. De'mann

Btw good luck matey.

Edited by 81C

• RMweb Premium

He will be knackered after a day at the show. A few years back I took my EM layout to the 2 day Retford Show and I was absolutely crackered by Sunday lunchtime. I enjoyed the operations bit with my lad and also meeting and talking to the punters, however I would never do it again. 30 years ago I would have 'been on the circuit' as much as I could be; not now, not never, ever.  People that do exhibitions have my admiration and people like Andrew Hartshorne (Comet Models etc) who do shows very frequently must be made of steel. OK it is his job I suppose but hey, all hail.

However, I might just be persuaded to go to 'an evening with Jenny Agutter'  :O

Phil.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Phil - he was still standing by the time I got round to the layout.  And it really is great in the flesh/plastic/whatever although the whole scale of it looks rather different from what we see in the pics.  Nice to see Rob and have a longer chat than we did last year and this small show was indeed a hive of RMweb visitors and layouts.  So for those who couldn't make it/couldn't be bothered/had too far to travel today I thoroughly recommend trying to get down to Taunton at the end of April to have a look at it as it's a smashing example of less is more modelling. 

Come on Rob.The suspenders are killing me. :O How did it go ? ;)

That's an interesting question - we were so busy nattering I didn't see it go at all (but I'm sure it does - probably).  Talking of 'how does it go?' I couldn't quite work out why a particular female of the species kept on coming back and sitting down on the chair by the fiddle yard with her knees very close to Rob's?  However he explained claimed she was nothing to do with him - so maybe she just likes S&DJt 0-6-0s?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Phil - he was still standing by the time I got round to the layout.  And it really is great in the flesh/plastic/whatever although the whole scale of it looks rather different from what we see in the pics.  Nice to see Rob and have a longer chat than we did last year and this small show was indeed a hive of RMweb visitors and layouts.  So for those who couldn't make it/couldn't be bothered/had too far to travel today I thoroughly recommend trying to get down to Taunton at the end of April to have a look at it as it's a smashing example of less is more modelling. 

That's an interesting question - we were so busy nattering I didn't see it go at all (but I'm sure it does - probably).  Talking of 'how does it go?' I couldn't quite work out why a particular female of the species kept on coming back and sitting down on the chair by the fiddle yard with her knees very close to Rob's?  However he explained claimed she was nothing to do with him - so maybe she just likes S&DJt 0-6-0s?

That's interesting. The great photo's we have of a lot of layouts on here sort of make me think I'm actually in the place. Then, when you see the thing in the "flesh/plastic/whatever"  it is suddenly a model railway again. That's because I'm weird.

It is the scale of the things in the photo's though isn't it that 'tricks the eye' into imagining that it is a shot of a full size thing that has become smaller, when in fact it is a picture of a small thing that has become bigger (ish) if you get my drift?

Philtalkingoutofhisarseasusual. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Shock as NHY 581 is caught red-handed with sausage sandwich:

post-57-0-21885700-1485031263.jpg

Mr Stationmaster misses nothing, including being photographed by the hacks of the gutter press:

post-57-0-34204600-1485031295.jpg

I've put some more photos of the show up in the 'Exhibitions' part of the forum, but it was a superb little show and one that I definitely want to go to again. It was a huge pleasure to finally meet Rob as well and have several nice long natters about all kinds of things.

I can neither confirm nor deny that we may (or may not) have discussed (or stayed silent) the subject of Horrocksford Cement Works and it's industrial locos.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

My apologies to all for the delay.

This has been a truly memorable day.

Sheep Lane did not disgrace itself and we had a very fine day. There were a few dramas, all my own making.

Arrived at the hall about 8am, a bit later than intended due to my feline chum making off with a box of drawing pins which were crucial to the application of drapes.

Full erection achieved without haste or undue effort by 9am and sufficient time to chat to the other exhibitors and have a cup of tea and bacon bap thoughtfully provided by Peter from Lord and Butler.

Doors opened at 10am. I ran all day with one Bagnall ( Jinty) and one Armstrong (4F). Both ran very well and my initial fears over their running proved to be unfounded.

Great to meet everyone and it was truly humbling to meet those of you who had taken so much trouble to travel so very far today. It is fair to say I spent more time chatting than operating. Adrian, Mike, John, Chris, Gordon and of course the good Captain. I apologise to anyone I have overlooked.

Thank you all your kind words.

Rumour has it the show may be on next year but no arrangements will be made for some time.

Norman could not be located today. Murray was parked at Sheep Lane all day but sources indicate he he was otherwise engaged on a trip with Ivor Peterborough..

Rob.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Splendid photos CK.

I may be in a position to confirm if a discussion regarding Horrocksford No.1 did take place........

..or I may not........

Creme de Menthe.

• RMweb Premium

My apologies to all for the delay.

This has been a truly memorable day.

Sheep Lane did not disgrace itself and we had a very fine day. There were a few dramas, all my own making.

Arrived at the hall about 8am, a bit later than intended due to my feline chum making off with a box of drawing pins which were crucial to the application of drapes.

Full erection achieved without haste or undue effort by 9am and sufficient time to chat to the other exhibitors and have a cup of tea and bacon bap thoughtfully provided by Peter from Lord and Butler.

Doors opened at 10am. I ran all day with one Bagnall ( Jinty) and one Armstrong (4F). Both ran very well and my initial fears over their running proved to be unfounded.

Great to meet everyone and it was truly humbling to meet those of you who had taken so much trouble to travel so very far today. It is fair to say I spent more time chatting than operating. Adrian, Mike, John, Chris, Gordon and of course the good Captain. I apologise to anyone I have overlooked.

Thank you all your kind words.

Rumour has it the show may be on next year but no arrangements will be made for some time.

Norman could not be located today. Murray was parked at Sheep Lane all day but sources indicate he he was otherwise engaged on a trip with Ivor Peterborough..

Rob.

Glad all went well yesterday/today or whenever...

• RMweb Premium

That's interesting. The great photo's we have of a lot of layouts on here sort of make me think I'm actually in the place. Then, when you see the thing in the "flesh/plastic/whatever"  it is suddenly a model railway again. That's because I'm weird.

It is the scale of the things in the photo's though isn't it that 'tricks the eye' into imagining that it is a shot of a full size thing that has become smaller, when in fact it is a picture of a small thing that has become bigger (ish) if you get my drift?

Phil, for the avoidance of doubt my 'agree' referred to the different perception of layouts (and other things) in photos and in real life, not to your claims to be weird and talking out of your *rs* :) .

• RMweb Gold

No, makes sense Phil. A few archive shots courtesy of Norman.

post-14122-0-59683300-1485035533_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-72443900-1485035579_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-41541600-1485035620_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Not to worry though, his chum and fellow photographer Geoffrey Kitchensink attended and did the honours.

• RMweb Gold

A classic Geoffrey Kitchensink view of Mein Host.

**** Copyright Kernow Kitchensink Images of Curio and Wonder ****

post-14122-0-89702600-1485040672.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

A classic Geoffrey Kitchensink view of Mein Host.

**** Copyright Kernow Kitchensink Images of Curio and Wonder ****

I note the notice directing persons to the powder room is very close to hand!

P

Small........far away. Ah, that's how it works.

Philth

• RMweb Gold

That ensures that the view comes to Rob, rather than him having to go find it.

As a military man might describe it, a target-rich environment

Edited by colin penfold

• RMweb Gold

P

Small........far away. Ah, that's how it works.

Philth

That ensures that the view comes to Rob, rather than him having to go find it.

As a military man might describe it, a target-rich environment

I did express concern as to why I had been thus placed and was informed that surely it was better to loiter outside the ladies than outside the gents............

Rob