Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Yep, a 5-car Pendelino is what's needed.

No. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

You beat me to it....

Stop it. 

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

That is exactly what I'm doing at the moment. I have a number of deadlines though P4 jubilee competition entry form has to be submitted in August but then I have 2 years to build it. In the meantime I have a number of layouts that are already built that will be going to shows. What it's going to be is still up for grabs but there needs to have potential for a few jokes in it.

Marc

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Certainly not!

Quite right and proper. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm currently taking the slower approach with my current layout. Whilst I am building it with possibly exhibiting in mind, i'm not going to offer it out for shows until it's at a level of progress where I am happy to, and that it all works correctly. If that takes 1-2 years from now, so be it.

The reason? My last 2 exhibition layouts, I promised them for exhibitions whilst they were still in the middle of being built, which gave totally unrealistic timescales for completion, and I had to rush things. Even more the first of these, an American HO layout, as I was suddenly sprung with a deadline for a photograph session, for it to go into a magazine. I'm pretty sure there is still glue drying in some of the photos in the May 2011 CM.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

As I said in yesterday's waffle, I need to take a more measured approach to it all. By removing the urge to sprint through a project, I can pay more attention to getting things as I really want them to be and in doing so, raise the standard. 

Yes, it does seem that in not wanting to say no to people in response to exhibition invites, being the kind of person that you are, you have rather ended up on a kind of treadmill, or perhaps a case of the tail wagging the donkey. This is a cleft stick because this is simply as a result of your layouts being so good, both in looks and operation, and thus an inspiration to others.

Not an easy situation to find a way through, although having faced similar problems decades back in another sphere ( P4 loco construction to commission) I eventually had to start saying no simply because there seemed no other solution. I feel you may have to do the same to get back to having the horse before the cart.

Bob

• Friendly/supportive 3

7 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

...raise the standard.

Steady on mate, not too much higher please - can barely see it from here as it is!

Sound plans all round. FWIW I'm finding 7mm quicker to work in (broad brush - detailing will be infinite!) than 4mm. Having both on the go at the same time actually helps me pace the work on each to avoid rushing, too.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

As I said in yesterday's waffle, I need to take a more measured approach to it all. By removing the urge to sprint through a project, I can pay more attention to getting things as I really want them to be and in doing so, raise the standard.

I think t’internet is partly the problem, you post images, we go coo, baa etc, (there’s bound to be pigeons as well as sheep), and then the show managers amongst us give you an invite to have a fun day out!

Disgraceful situation really 🤣

So maybe all you need to do is refuse invites for the new projects until you are happy rather than working to deadlines?  Your existing ‘field’ of layouts have plenty of life left in them and even ones that have been around maybe are the best place to try out some of the new ideas because they give much shorter deadlines and new life to them? Adding fun back in for you too. 

I agree totally with trying stuff out, sometimes you can do the familiar paint by numbers though if it’s other aspects you’re trying out. I’ve used it to try new scales, operation and things like couplings. 
I once dug out a lump of scenery the week before a show to give myself the incentive to get off my backside and finally do it! 😆

Also I’ve been known to apply judicious ‘extreme prejudice’ to try out new stuff . .

Lulworth kadee magnets

One laminate of ply left 😉

Lulworth kadee magnets

Edited by PaulRhB
Adding fun in
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Asterix2012 said:

I thought for a minute you were talking about the GWR again.

Love to see a broad gauge layout... found an intresting track plan of Broad gauge Newton Abbot... just saying...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Love to see a broad gauge layout... found an intresting track plan of Broad gauge Newton Abbot... just saying...

post-14122-0-69565300-1493621490.jpg.f620e137cde49859a75dd5d0463334e2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

I don't see a change of gauge adding much to a small, short layout that is viewed predominantly from the front - you can't see the difference.  Unless you go 7mm of course, which....LOL.  However, maybe better track standards, yes, bullhead as someone mentioned, proper sleeper spacing etc I see would improve the view.

Now, as for subject, well are your backwaters always rural?  How about urban grot of equally forgotten branchline somewhere, dockside maybe, or canal....or just retaining walls, rubbish, filth, weeds and old rusty engines tottering about the place?  I'd do that myself but my modelling skills don't come up to it, (my layout's one building is courtesy of Stubby 47 of the parish, sterling man!) so it's just weedy country freight lines for me I'm afraid.

newcastle.JPG.a1bbafefc723de471821ec791a0f76aa.JPG

Just a thought!  Gagging to see what you come up with to inspire me further.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening all, 

Thank you all once again for your kind thoughts. It seems to have got a few of our little grey cells ticking over. 

The speed at which previous layouts have been built hasn't always been influenced by a deadline and I'm certainly NOT bemoaning the exhibition side of it all. I find the social aspect of taking a trainset out is more than sufficient reward for a sometimes frantic few weeks leading up to it all. No, it's my desire to get things built and done that I think I need to alter and manage. I always say I enjoy the build as much if not more than operating but if that's the case why don't I take my time ? 

Absolutely right those who say I don't have to say yes to exhibitions and I think that may be the case going forward. There will be exceptions of course but I already have two for 2025, at opposite ends of the year as it happens. 

No, I will simply adopt a more considered approach. I've built and exhibited five layouts between 2016 and 2022. All have been featured in comics in that period as well. You must bear in mind there were many false starts prior to that with no layout actually being finished prior to Sleep Lane. I see those six years as an apprenticeship. 

Rob. 

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I don't see a change of gauge adding much to a small, short layout that is viewed predominantly from the front

I agree we can all keep making improvements in our skill and projects but this is very true for a lot of us in "cameo" mode....much as I appreciate the efforts of those who choose to broaden.....Peco BH has made a major difference to my own approach FWIW...

Chris H

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I find the social aspect of taking a trainset out is more than sufficient reward for a sometimes frantic few weeks leading up to it all.

Yes it’s very much my favourite bit and seeing stuff in the flesh where you can see, ask and ponder is why virtual shows just weren’t ticking all the boxes. 

No, it's my desire to get things built and done that I think I need to alter and manage. I always say I enjoy the build as much if not more than operating but if that's the case why don't I take my time ?

That’s where the ideas mused online can be a great help, a daily trip to the pub for the same group input can fog the memory 😆

I love planning and re-planning, sometimes you’re going whoa! glad I hadn’t started building that before I realised 😉

I don't have to say yes to exhibitions and I think that may be the case going forward.

Just delayed yes 🤞

😁

I suppose the penchant for backwaters rules out a model of Wool? Maybe the Bovington military railway to Wool 😗 . . .

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

A bit more time was spent on the new layout last night, rubbing down some of the more flamboyant imperfections on the newly laid clay. It's quietly coming together. 

Because of the decision made to add a bay, I now need to finish the rear face of the platform. The old plan, sans bay, simply meant that the rear of the platform would be buried within a low embankment. Operationally, it will be worth the current one step forward, two steps back approach this requires and cosmetically, it's not too much of an imposition. 

Just need to push past this intial stage. I never thought I'd say this but I really cannot wait to start painting and weathering the trackwork and laying the ballast !!!!!....

Rob. 

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening all, 

Thank you all once again for your kind thoughts. It seems to have got a few of our little grey cells ticking over. 

The speed at which previous layouts have been built hasn't always been influenced by a deadline and I'm certainly NOT bemoaning the exhibition side of it all. I find the social aspect of taking a trainset out is more than sufficient reward for a sometimes frantic few weeks leading up to it all. No, it's my desire to get things built and done that I think I need to alter and manage. I always say I enjoy the build as much if not more than operating but if that's the case why don't I take my time ? 

Absolutely right those who say I don't have to say yes to exhibitions and I think that may be the case going forward. There will be exceptions of course but I already have two for 2025, at opposite ends of the year as it happens. 

No, I will simply adopt a more considered approach. I've built and exhibited five layouts between 2016 and 2022. All have been featured in comics in that period as well. You must bear in mind there were many false starts prior to that with no layout actually being finished prior to Sleep Lane. I see those six years as an apprenticeship. 

Rob. 

You’ve given me a lift there Rob I’m where you were prior to Sheep Lane! Many False starts! I’m 6 years in no layout ever finished, I’ll never manage to produce what you achieve but I’ve an empty train room. All taken down to dispose of then a small Sheepesque start again! 

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, AdeMoore said:

You’ve given me a lift there Rob I’m where you were prior to Sheep Lane! Many False starts! I’m 6 years in no layout ever finished, I’ll never manage to produce what you achieve but I’ve an empty train room. All taken down to dispose of then a small Sheepesque start again! 

Morning Ade, 

A tricky decision to arrive at but I'm sure it feels good though. 

A blank page. 

The only issue I take is where you say " I'll never manage to produce what you achieve". 

Dare I say it but you've already popped a bit of an obstacle in your way with that thought. 

I'm truly not sure that what I achieve is that special and therefore why it's seen by some as any sort of dizzy height to aim for and I'm not saying this to gather comment. 

I use basic bits and bobs. I keep things as simple as I can, too simple at times. 

Do the same. Basic track plan. Simple flat scenics. Simple electrics. By all means crib a trackplan. Build an identical layout to say, Sheep Lane. 

You'll see how simple it all is. Just smoke and mirrors. A bit of track nailed to a shelf. That's all you need. 

Rob

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 7
  • Agree 2