TRETHEVY, WAS BODMIN SR circa 1930

N15class

• RMweb Premium

I will try it with silver paint. I will need to get some water based silver as I have water based stain.

Chris

My plan is draw up the terrace front over the weekend. Yes I am looking forward to doing some track work I have done none since my EM layout twenty years ago.

Thanks for the dimensions of the cottages Pete, should make sizing the mock ups so much easier.

Thanks for the dimensions of the cottages Pete, should make sizing the mock ups so much easier.

No problem I need to sort something out with it too, and scale the endbuilding now there are dimensions to work with. I think the row will be about 850mm long, should look impresive.

• RMweb Premium

No problem I need to sort something out with it too, and scale the endbuilding now there are dimensions to work with. I think the row will be about 850mm long, should look impresive.

The dimensions you've given be enable me to check and calibrate the distances measured on GoogleEarth and the 'photos' borrowed from streetview. Both very useful tools.

• 4 weeks later...

I have not got as far with this as I had hoped. The state of play at the moment is I have cut all the sleepers etc for the test track. I will hopefully be starting the track work at the weekend. I am at the moment playing with stain for the sleepers.

The result shown below is still not right. left to right. Black brown mix, black, black with more brown, and a poor application of brown. I think I want the third one and some slightly more brown. But that's tomorrows play.

post-13601-0-41633600-1449008033_thumb.jpg

I have now the station drawings and have recently drawn up the row of cottages, I will photo tomorrow. I have also cut 500 plain track sleepers for the layout. Once I have the basic stain colour right I will do these and the crossing timbers.

• Like 3

Peter

I use a spirit based stain (now not available) and dilute it. I found Jacobian Oak  to be a good base colour. I just paint it on and let the grain of the wood do the work as some areas take the stain better than others. At my club they soaked the ply and the longer they left the sleepers in the darker the finish

I personally still would go for brush painting and just vary the colour by using darker stain/and more of less dilution.

Another thing I have found is that some ballast leaves a fine dust coating, dry/wet brush touching may be necessary after ballasting. This leaves me with the thought the initial staining gives a base coat for further work later on 

I've used coloured shoe and/or furniture polish as wood stain.

Just thin with the appropriate thinner (usually turps but depends what I have to hand)

Slap on and flash over with hot air gun to drive in.

Good for quick furniture repairs as well as staining your fingers.

One of those mix and match things..

I have not got as far with this as I had hoped. The state of play at the moment is I have cut all the sleepers etc for the test track. I will hopefully be starting the track work at the weekend. I am at the moment playing with stain for the sleepers.

The result shown below is still not right. left to right. Black brown mix, black, black with more brown, and a poor application of brown. I think I want the third one and some slightly more brown. But that's tomorrows play.

attachicon.gifz.jpg

I have now the station drawings and have recently drawn up the row of cottages, I will photo tomorrow. I have also cut 500 plain track sleepers for the layout. Once I have the basic stain colour right I will do these and the crossing timbers.

Hi Peter

I used Ronsell Jacobean oak with metallic Silver. They come out with a greyish streak.

• Like 2

As said early I had done the drawings for the row of cottages at the end of the platform. The one on the right is a bit an educated guess as I could not get to measure it. I have a problem to with the downstairs windows. In the old photos they are little bays, but whether they go to the floor or not I can't see. They have long been removed from the building so I am assuming they go from sill to lead roof.

post-13601-0-28533100-1449096189_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-47927200-1449096208_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-73486400-1449096229_thumb.jpg

The terrace comes out at about a metre long. which will actually fit o the layout where they are supposed to. Which means that bit did not or could not be condensed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Peter, 

The cottage on the left, with the sloped roof, has the chimney on the same side of the house as the front door. This is at odds with the rest of the terraces. It's unusual because ( and I am guessing here) the stairs would usually be opposite the door and the fireplaces would be on the far wall of the rooms the other side of the hall.

It looks a nice set of houses to model, looking forward to how you & Chris progress.

Stu

• RMweb Premium

Nice bit of drawing Pete, very neat. I know somebody who would quite like a copy of that if possible. Funny how all the buildings at Bodmin North are all ending up monsters. Possibly one of the smallest is the porters stores, and this is where I'm up to with them:

post-6675-0-29446900-1449098311_thumb.jpg

I really must try and find a local brick building to model for Pencarrow, all this stonework will see me go loopy:

post-6675-0-36165500-1449098414_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Peter, 

The cottage on the left, with the sloped roof, has the chimney on the same side of the house as the front door. This is at odds with the rest of the terraces. It's unusual because ( and I am guessing here) the stairs would usually be opposite the door and the fireplaces would be on the far wall of the rooms the other side of the hall.

It looks a nice set of houses to model, looking forward to how you & Chris progress.

Stu

It also has two chimneys. I could not see the door on this one there is a lean to conservatory over it. It may be a little more to the right than drawn. You also have to remember this is the back of the terrace. The front is even more peculiar. You have the sheds and coal house outside the front door. 

Looking again there may not of been much space between the door and window. Out of the 8 properties it looks to me from the photos there were 4 build dates what when where I have no idea. To me the two double cottages left and centre are one build, the double to the right is another. Then the two ends at another time. Pure guess work but would love to know for sure.

Nice bit of drawing Pete, very neat. I know somebody who would quite like a copy of that if possible. Funny how all the buildings at Bodmin North are all ending up monsters. Possibly one of the smallest is the porters stores, and this is where I'm up to with them:

attachicon.gifrps20151202_231744.jpg

I really must try and find a local brick building to model for Pencarrow, all this stonework will see me go loopy:

attachicon.gifrps20151202_230431.jpg

If that is half as good as the grain store it will be brilliant.

I will scan it when I bring it back from the workshop. It will have to be in A4 lumps.

• RMweb Premium

If that is half as good as the grain store it will be brilliant.

I will scan it when I bring it back from the workshop. It will have to be in A4 lumps.

Thanks Pete, you're a star.

Ps when I've finished the above station building I'll send you a marked up copy of the drawing - there's a few drawing errors that I've spotted from photos, particularly regarding windows and doors.

• RMweb Premium

As said early I had done the drawings for the row of cottages at the end of the platform. The one on the right is a bit an educated guess as I could not get to measure it. I have a problem to with the downstairs windows. In the old photos they are little bays, but whether they go to the floor or not I can't see. They have long been removed from the building so I am assuming they go from sill to lead roof.

attachicon.gifa.jpg

attachicon.gifb.jpg

attachicon.gifc.jpg

The terrace comes out at about a metre long. which will actually fit o the layout where they are supposed to. Which means that bit did not or could not be condensed.

Regarding the bay windows, I wonder if they went down to ground level. You can just about make something out behind the fence on this photo.

post-6675-0-26895700-1449148156_thumb.jpg

Anda wall in the way in this photo.

post-6675-0-92555800-1449148163_thumb.jpg

Both show the original colour finishes and that various bits and windows have been added since.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It also has two chimneys. I could not see the door on this one there is a lean to conservatory over it. It may be a little more to the right than drawn. You also have to remember this is the back of the terrace. The front is even more peculiar. You have the sheds and coal house outside the front door. 

Looking again there may not of been much space between the door and window. Out of the 8 properties it looks to me from the photos there were 4 build dates what when where I have no idea. To me the two double cottages left and centre are one build, the double to the right is another. Then the two ends at another time. Pure guess work but would love to know for sure.

Regarding build dates I think the whitewashed odd building is the oldest, and that the three remaining doubles and large single were built at the same time by the LSWR. I think the right hand end is the station master's house (therefore grander) and the others are for other station staff. That's my theory anyway.

It doesn't help with the bay window question, but have you seen this photo? You have to be registered to zoom in, but it shows the houses being discussed

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw039806

This one gives a good general view of the station

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw039804

There may be more showing bits of the station in you search for Bodmin.

Regarding the bay windows, I wonder if they went down to ground level. You can just about make something out behind the fence on this photo.

attachicon.gifBodmin cottages clip 1.jpg

attachicon.gifBodmin cottages clip 2.jpg

Both show the original colour finishes and that various bits and windows have been added since.

I am still unsure. But they show up the windows nicely.

I think there is white washing hanging on the lines in 95 percent of photos of these buildings. As for builds the whitewash one has a strange roof. It was never a 4 sided one and you rarely build 3 sided ones. To me it is a classic add on. If build the double next door you would not want the expense of redoing another roof

And the whitewashed building has the door on the right side of the wall, rather than on the left as in the drawing above. :)

That is what comes of doing the drawing from modern photos. It will be changed.

I'm betting the bays went down to the foundations. It would have been easier than bracketing them out, and I agree there's something behind the fence...

Best

Simon

I am unsure because why take out the bays to put new windows in.

It doesn't help with the bay window question, but have you seen this photo? You have to be registered to zoom in, but it shows the houses being discussed

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw039806

This one gives a good general view of the station

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw039804

There may be more showing bits of the station in you search for Bodmin.

Thanks

I have this site booked marked. The are very useful photos. The bottom one made me change my plan where the old turn table was. It still might change again, I have seen a narrow gauge table that comes out just under 50 feet. If I can get a cheap one I may have a play.

attachicon.gifBodmin cottages clip 1.jpg

attachicon.gifBodmin cottages clip 2.jpg

Just been looking more closely at these pictures They are both around the same date. But the top one has had the chimney changed on the right hand double pair, the roof shows the patch. The add ons in the gardens are the same in both. So Now I need to change the drawing to get the three chimneys the same.

Is that a gradient marker on the gasworks wall or has someone been stealing road signs?

attachicon.gifa.jpg

attachicon.gifb.jpg

attachicon.gifc.jpg

Thanks to Chris I need to re draw the cottages. He noticed I had made an error in the window heights. I managed to draw them 42mm high rather than 32mm. Pleased it has been found now. But wish I had of got the new ruler visible numbers before starting rather than half way through.

I have been playing with sleepers and Templot drawings for the test track.

I started with a little plain track to see if everything worked. I have glued one rail on but some idiot left the track gauges in the cupboard.

post-13601-0-68426500-1449265122_thumb.jpg

I have also laid out the timbers for the point work. It is about a metre long, now I am worried whether a double cross over is such a good idea.

post-13601-0-12284900-1449265164_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-87793600-1449265141_thumb.jpg

Good thing is it has all gone to plan so far. So I am patiently working away and waiting for it all to go T#ts up.

• Like 5