Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

Apologies, for some reason 'Reply quoting this post' isn't working for me at the moment.

AJA Models, Hornby's Current CAD which they show in their announcement for the As built Merchant Navy is of an Original 1st series, which would cover 21C1-21C3 prior to modifications in an attempt to improve the drivers visibility from drifting smoke. It is likely they'll modify this later on to cover more variants.

The picture in their announcement, looks like a series 2 going by the 'Southern' sun-shine lettering on the tender, and the squarer Air-smoothing around the wheels, as well as the cab.

Regards,

Matt

• RMweb Gold

Apologies, for some reason 'Reply quoting this post' isn't working for me at the moment.

'Reply quoting this post' doesn't work if you're using Windows 8 with its  version of Internet Explorer.

Check you're running on the RMweb 2013 theme.  Click "change theme" at the bottom left of this page, and select it.  This should fix your problem with IE 11 but you need to restart IE for it to take effect.

Edited by RFS

To clarify, I have no idea what my dad's laptop (which I'm borrowing due to our desktop needing repair) runs on.

:offtopic:

Regards,
Matt

Check you're running on the RMweb 2013 theme.  Click "change theme" at the bottom left of this page, and select it.  This should fix your problem with IE 11 but you need to restart IE for it to take effect.

Many thanks for that, it works !  Is there anything that tells me what the differences are ?

Edited by Combe Martin

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I bow to superior knowledge, in any case whether it is early or late BR totem, it will I suspect given Hornby's resurgence be a popular choice.

Clan Line was a 73A loco until 1956/7 then transferred to the western section. Spotted by me from the window of an incoming boat train on the Grosvenor Bridge backing out of Victoria to Stewarts  Lane on 24/08/1956. I had been seasick on a rough crossing  from Boulogne after an overnight journey from Basel ( SNCF 2-4-1 R ). Earlier had seen my first SBB Ae6/6 at Luzern..what a sight that was ! School trips were different then.

• Like 1

According to a very good source in the trade, one of the Spam Can Merchant Navy class will be Clan Line in Brunswick Green with early BR totem. Think this was the final livery before being rebuilt. Let the frothing begin!!!!

Having got Clan Line in its rebuilt form, I don,t fancy another. Still guess there will be plenty of choice and variants.....

With 35006 due to steam soon, you'd have thought they might go for that.

I don't have the list to hand of what they've modelled previously but, would seem to me to make sense to go for one they've not modelled in rebuilt form. Preferably one with an iconic name - Cunard springs to mind

I'm not an expert here but first 10, 1941/42 construction includes CanPac (surely a popular choice) as well as my suggestions of Cunard White star and p&o. Would also include 21C9 (35009) Shaw Savill. Given the latter's chequered history as one of the last to leave Barry and it's current uncertain future, would be a nice way to highlight the original's glory days

• RMweb Gold

Clan Line was a 73A loco until 1956/7 then transferred to the western section. Spotted by me from the window of an incoming boat train on the Grosvenor Bridge backing out of Victoria to Stewarts  Lane on 24/08/1956. I had been seasick on a rough crossing  from Boulogne after an overnight journey from Basel ( SNCF 2-4-1 R ). Earlier had seen my first SBB Ae6/6 at Luzern..what a sight that was ! School trips were different then.

It was not transferred to Nine Elms until 14/06/1959 according to this source - http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=118533&loco=35028

In other words at the same time the first phase of the Kent Coast electrification scheme went ahead.   I myself actually spotted it on a summer trip to Tonbridge in 1958. It was then the only MN not underlined in my ABC so it was a red-letter day!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm not an expert here but first 10, 1941/42 construction includes CanPac (surely a popular choice) as well as my suggestions of Cunard White star and p&o. Would also include 21C9 (35009) Shaw Savill. Given the latter's chequered history as one of the last to leave Barry and it's current uncertain future, would be a nice way to highlight the original's glory days

Hornby's CAD image only really resembles 21C1 and 21C2 and even those only for a short period before they began to receive numerous detail modifications in the light of operational experience.

21C3 - 21C10 differed from the first two from new, most notably in the non-metallic material used for the casing which required a prominent bracing rib half way up.

The initial pair (and, indeed, all of the early batch) were regularly retro-fitted with revised features following their introduction on later locos. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

It was not transferred to Nine Elms until 14/06/1959 according to this source - http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=118533&loco=35028

In other words at the same time the first phase of the Kent Coast electrification scheme went ahead.   I myself actually spotted it on a summer trip to Tonbridge in 1958. It was then the only MN not underlined in my ABC so it was a red-letter day!

And by a strange coincidence,my spotting of 35028 was also my last for a Royal Flush.

• RMweb Gold

35028 is also shown in the 1959 Ian Allan locoshed book (operative date 1st May) as still being at Stewarts Lane.

John

• RMweb Gold

Please do not think that just because Hornby have only released glimpses of CADs of a particular variant to date that this all they intend to release or are currently working on...

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Please do not think that just because Hornby have only released glimpses of CADs of a particular variant to date that this all they intend to release or are currently working on...

You are such a tease Graham. Here's hoping though!

• Like 1