Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

I think I get the second sentence - forgive me if I'm wrong - but I think it suggests that Hornby have modelled locos in the overlap period where some were in original form and some were in rebuilt form. Yes, Hornby have done that with some of the locos.

The MNs, in particular, though, had quite a lot of minor modifications that limit the period of time each model represents: things like the cabs, as mentioned, being rebuilt to the 'Vee' fronted form (except the last 10 which were built with that cab style), the front fairings in front of the cylinders being removed (early 1950s), safety valves being moved behind the dome, smoke deflector modifications, etc., and that's not even touching on the tender variations, modifications and swaps!

It is quite feasible to accurately run original and rebuilt forms side by side for the MNs, as Ian Hargrave indicated, because the last in original form was not rebuilt until late 1959 (35028, Clan Line), whereas the first was done in 1956 (35018, British India Line).

With the light pacifics, only 60 were rebuilt out of the 110 in service, so it is quite possible to have rebuilt and originals side by side right to the end of steam, from around 1957/8 (I can't remember, off the top of my head, when the first rebuild was done).

I hope that answers the question, at least in part.

• RMweb Gold

thank you all for clearing that up. i think i got confused by the light pacific and MN, i thought the LP was still a MN, just a cut down version.

i've only just started looking at southern region stuff and steam era in particular so still still learning.

thanks again :)

• Like 1

thank you all for clearing that up. i think i got confused by the light pacific and MN, i thought the LP was still a MN, just a cut down version.

i've only just started looking at southern region stuff and steam era in particular so still still learning.

thanks again :)

The two classes do look very alike in both original and rebuilt forms. In fact Wrenn (a manufacturer in the 70s and 80s) used to stick MN names on their LPs (both forms) and sell them as such!

If you ever have a model of each class, you will see that one is noticeably bigger than the other.

• 1 month later...

The latest issue of Hornby magazine has a full review of Holland Afrika Line. Does any retailer actually know the actual release date ?

Hi, Did they anything about the chuff sound being aligned with wheel rotation or not?

Hi, Did they anything about the chuff sound being aligned with wheel rotation or not?

I haven't read the full article as yet, but I would personally doubt it. The tts is a very generic sound system, for it's limitations and cost it is none too bad.You pays your money and takes your choice.

• RMweb Gold

I haven't read the full article as yet, but I would personally doubt it. The tts is a very generic sound system, for it's limitations and cost it is none too bad.You pays your money and takes your choice.

And the next question will be......how long after delivery will it take for Rails to be selling it minus the TTS sound ?

• RMweb Gold

Depends on whether or not Hornby have produced the tts version in greater numbers than the previous three variant releases.

True...but remember this is the second release of this model and just maybe punters might not be quite so keen this time.Thus possibly 35023 may stick.Given Rails recent form with TTS releases,it is a possible outcome to enhance a quicker sales turnover. We shall see....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The latest issue of Hornby magazine has a full review of Holland Afrika Line. Does any retailer actually know the actual release date ?

Hatton's says "due into stock July 2017". 

And the next question will be......how long after delivery will it take for Rails to be selling it minus the TTS sound ?

How would Hornby view the removal of the tts sound unit for warranty purposes I wonder ? Or would the onus of repairs fall back upon Rails ?

• RMweb Gold

How would Hornby view the removal of the tts sound unit for warranty purposes I wonder ? Or would the onus of repairs fall back upon Rails ?

Well it doesn't seem to have bothered Rails since they started removing TTS modules quite some time back now.The same argument or situation could apply for instance to any de chipped r-t-r model from any manufacturer....some Bachmann L&Y tanks were treated to chip removal by Kernow.

Well it doesn't seem to have bothered Rails since they started removing TTS modules quite some time back now.The same argument or situation could apply for instance to any de chipped r-t-r model from any manufacturer....some Bachmann L&Y tanks were treated to chip removal by Kernow.

Ian,

Seems you were right about this one, Olivia's Trains are already advertising a "TTS Removed" version for £180 before they are even in stock. Have Hornby turned on the tap with this model, producing more than the three other previously released variants I wonder ? True to form, Olivia's pricing for a TTS removed version is more than some outlets are selling the full fat version.

• RMweb Gold

Ian,

Seems you were right about this one, Olivia's Trains are already advertising a "TTS Removed" version for £180 before they are even in stock. Have Hornby turned on the tap with this model, producing more than the three other previously released variants I wonder ? True to form, Olivia's pricing for a TTS removed version is more than some outlets are selling the full fat version.

I honestly don't see how Olivias stays in business with the prices they charge.

You may well say that...and you are not alone...but Neil Bishop continues to buck the trend and his critics because he offers what some of his clients are prepared to donate their eye teeth for and he has lots of goodies for them.We forget he has his admirers as well as his critics and as long as they keep his tills ringing he'll cock a snook at us all....and maintain a healthy profit....however much we air our disapproval on this forum or elsewhere.He doesn't read us in any case...nor I suspect does our opinion concern him.Why should it ?

You don't like it ? Walk away....and exercise you own judgement.Not for us to judge his competancy in business.Worth remembering that the magazine fraternity are happy to carry his advertisements.Like him or loath him,he's still around.

Ian,

No surprises there

Just arrived at my desk...

attachicon.gifIMG_3462.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3463.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3464.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3465.JPG

Lovely tender detail...

attachicon.gifIMG_3466.JPG

Now back to work for me.

Wow - I didn't think they were in the Country yet - I'm still waiting for mine from a well known retailer who hasn't even notified me that it has arrived in their stock. Have you had a chance to run it yet and advise on how good or bad the sound is?

• RMweb Gold

Wow - I didn't think they were in the Country yet - I'm still waiting for mine from a well known retailer who hasn't even notified me that it has arrived in their stock. Have you had a chance to run it yet and advise on how good or bad the sound is?

Therin is the fallacy of it...

I don't do DCC, so the sound chip and speaker will be leaving the tender shortly, probably to ebay.

(Maybe that's what the MiM are waiting for).

I want this one for the number, 35023.

Should I list it now, it might be funny to see the chip and speaker on ebay before anyone's even got the model ?

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Therin is the fallacy of it...

I don't do DCC, so the sound chip and speaker will be leaving the tender shortly, probably to ebay.

(Maybe that's what the MiM are waiting for).

I want this one for the number, 35023.

Should I list it now, it might be funny to see the chip and speaker on ebay before anyone's even got the model ?

I would list it now, before the MiM introduce you to Air-Smoothing  :jester:  :jester: