Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

• RMweb Gold

Here you go...

The last sound... F16 is the "firemans breakfast"

Damn...

Obviously the factory in China didn't get the last minute missive from Hornby (after the MiM had twisted arms etc) - F16  is supposed to be "Screams of a client being Air-Smoothed"  :jester:  :jester:

I think the China branch of the MiM are going to be busy  :sungum:

Edited by toboldlygo

• RMweb Gold

Just turned the speaker right side up, so it sounds much better now...

Starts with the "high speed screaming whistle" F19

Now that's more like it.

post-20773-0-69835200-1501090223_thumb.jpg

Just love the tender detail..

post-20773-0-13056600-1501090212_thumb.jpg

I could be a DCC convert but for me it's just too big a job...too long a layout, too many locos, only enough time to play, Anyone want a sound chip ?

After I played F19, the MiM have entered a trance and are standing on my wall staring into the horizon sniffing the breeze.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just turned the speaker right side up, so it sounds much better now...

Starts with the "high speed screaming whistle" F19

Now that's more like it.

attachicon.gifIMG_3475.JPG

Just love the tender detail..

attachicon.gifIMG_3473.JPG

I could be a DCC convert but for me it's just too big a job...too long a layout, too many locos, only enough time to play, Anyone want a sound chip ?

After I played F19, the MiM have entered a trance and are standing on my wall staring into the horizon sniffing the breeze.

Make your escape, while they are distracted. :jester:  :jester:

Guest Midland Mole @ Footplate

R3382TTS 35023 'Holland-Afrika Line' with TTS Sound is now in stock with us.

Alex @ Footplate

• RMweb Gold

Are Hornby going to do a separate TTS sound decoder for the MN as part of their range?

No.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/power-control/tts-sound-decoders.html

31,37,37,60, 67 A1, A4, Tornado, Castle, King.

I suspect whilst its new they'll hold off as it could slow sales of their new TTS fitted models.

Maybe in a couple of years, as the above selection is a few years old.

I suspect there's a few like me, whom want the number, but not the TTS so some chips may make it back to the market.

FYI the documentation for my sound chip includes settings for turning lights on /off, future proofed perhaps ?

Edited by adb968008

My H-A Line arrived yesterday. Don't know quite what to make of the package as a whole. The loco itself is superb. BUT that sound,or should I say noise, that is called chuffing! What is it based on? Someone riveting in an echo chamber someone dicing vegetables in said echo chamber? Hornby have sound files for rebuilt MNs so why spoil a good loco like this? I have tried to cut down the volume by putting 1 into CV161 but the riveters efforts are still loud enough to be very annoying. And it is so naff when the loco is rubbing shoulders with DC Kits WC chip-fitted locos  and Sutton's class 24s. Little wonder that various companies are stripping TTS out of locos. But what do you replace it with? Having heard some of the Olivias dcc sounds in the past I cant believe that they would be a cost-effective replacement. I have an Olivias sound -fitted class 33: as it accelerates it sounds literally like someone shaking stones in a beer can - just like the West Indies cricket supporters used to do back in the good old days.I would strip out the sound IF I knew of a GOOD replacement. A pity because some of the whistle sounds are not bad at all!!

Being a long-wheel based loco it doesn't like my  Peco express points. Additionally it will not enter my reverse loop line from the inside 'oval' track it has to go out onto the outer oval and take a 'longer run' at the reverse loop points to gain entry without derailment.

Doubtless these issues can be addressed before too long and with some weathering the loco will make a useful addition to my layout.

• RMweb Gold

Let's see what Hornby come up with for their 2018 range, I would hazard a guess that a late M/N with a cut down tender would be a good bet along with a wartime black SR version.

Indeed...but you missed out the blue livery.My preference 35001-10 batch.

Our first batch of the Hornby R3382TTS 'Holland'Afrika Lines' Merchant Navy 35023 with TTS Sound arrived today. 

See our product video here:

The remaining stock will be arriving tomorrow morning. 

We have limited stock remaining so order now to avoid disappointment. 

Also available is a DCC Ready version without the sound or alternatively we have the TTS Sound decoder and speaker available to purchase

Edited by Oliver Rails
  • Like 2

Are Hornby going to do a separate TTS sound decoder for the MN as part of their range?

Hi, The chip is not in the Hornby 2017 range, They usually wait 12 months before releasing the chip on its own.

We are selling the chip split from the locomotive is you are wanting one now. HERE

(Stock is arriving tomorrow)

Edited by Oliver Rails

• RMweb Gold

Our first batch of the Hornby R3382TTS 'Holland'Afrika Lines' Merchant Navy 35023 with TTS Sound arrived today. 

See our product video here:

The remaining stock will be arriving tomorrow morning. 

We have limited stock remaining so order now to avoid disappointment. 

Also available is a DCC Ready version without the sound or alternatively we have the TTS Sound decoder and speaker available to purchase

Nice loco.I should take it to the vet for that cough though.... :jester:

• RMweb Gold

My H-A Line arrived yesterday. Don't know quite what to make of the package as a whole. The loco itself is superb. BUT that sound,or should I say noise, that is called chuffing! What is it based on? Someone riveting in an echo chamber someone dicing vegetables in said echo chamber? Hornby have sound files for rebuilt MNs so why spoil a good loco like this? I have tried to cut down the volume by putting 1 into CV161 but the riveters efforts are still loud enough to be very annoying. And it is so naff when the loco is rubbing shoulders with DC Kits WC chip-fitted locos  and Sutton's class 24s. Little wonder that various companies are stripping TTS out of locos. But what do you replace it with? Having heard some of the Olivias dcc sounds in the past I cant believe that they would be a cost-effective replacement. I have an Olivias sound -fitted class 33: as it accelerates it sounds literally like someone shaking stones in a beer can - just like the West Indies cricket supporters used to do back in the good old days.I would strip out the sound IF I knew of a GOOD replacement. A pity because some of the whistle sounds are not bad at all!!

Being a long-wheel based loco it doesn't like my  Peco express points. Additionally it will not enter my reverse loop line from the inside 'oval' track it has to go out onto the outer oval and take a 'longer run' at the reverse loop points to gain entry without derailment.

Doubtless these issues can be addressed before too long and with some weathering the loco will make a useful addition to my layout.

This does not pretend to be anything more than a basic sound.You gets what you pays for and it shouldn't be compared with the Loksound systems installed in other Hornby Bulleid Pacifics which are indeed very good but which come at a premium price.

This does not pretend to be anything more than a basic sound.You gets what you pays for and it shouldn't be compared with the Loksound systems installed in other Hornby Bulleid Pacifics which are indeed very good but which come at a premium price.

Sadly this excellent model is,in my opinion, devalued to an almost farcical level by running along to the accompaniment of 'the mad riveter in an echo chamber' that is supposed to represent  the chuff strokes of a steam engine. This really does spoil the model - for me anyway. The only way I have found to soften the noise is to reduce it to the minimum in CV161 and permanently run the Injector loop.

I almost feel it would have been better not to fit this TTS sound at all - as clearly do the firms selling the model ex-TTS!

If and probably when a decent sound chip becomes available the TTS will be removed from my model.

Sadly this excellent model is,in my opinion, devalued to an almost farcical level by running along to the accompaniment of 'the mad riveter in an echo chamber' that is supposed to represent  the chuff strokes of a steam engine. This really does spoil the model - for me anyway. The only way I have found to soften the noise is to reduce it to the minimum in CV161 and permanently run the Injector loop.

I almost feel it would have been better not to fit this TTS sound at all - as clearly do the firms selling the model ex-TTS!

If and probably when a decent sound chip becomes available the TTS will be removed from my model.

Having listened carefully to the rails video, I have pinned the sound down to a brigade of hob nailed boot soldiers marching while biting into raw carrots. The carrots to go with the fireman's breakfast.

The HAL is a lovely model, which is reassuringly devoid of the quality control issues of the recently released Class 50 diesel (D400).

The tts sound system is what it is.

Personally, I wouldn't buy one with this fitted, however with the unit removed it is without doubt a cracking purchase.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

Agreed, if the sound really offends you that much then please don't use it. Esu and zimo are not within the reach of many of us so personally I am glad to have the option of TTS for my less cultured earholes.

• RMweb Premium

The sound does sound a bit 'tinny' which is true for many steam locos unless you pay a premium price. I have only ever bought one sound chip for a steam loco which was for my Beyer Garratt; even then I had to get it re blown by another supplier as the purchased one was absolute rubbish. The re blown B-G is better. I would not rule out buying a TTS MN chip because it could be improved with a decent speaker other than the basic one supplied. The whistle sounds wonderful but the chuffing is poor. Perhaps a bit of sound proofing would soften the sound a bit.

I wonder; how different are the WC and MN sounds? because if they are pretty much the same a DC kits WC chip might be good... not being an SR person I would not know.

Edited by 7013

• RMweb Gold

The sound does sound a bit 'tinny' which is true for many steam locos unless you pay a premium price. I have only ever bought one sound chip for a steam loco which was for my Beyer Garratt; even then I had to get it re blown by another supplier as the purchased one was absolute rubbish. The re blown B-G is better. I would not rule out buying a TTS MN chip because it could be improved with a decent speaker other than the basic one supplied. The whistle sounds wonderful but the chuffing is poor. Perhaps a bit of sound proofing would soften the sound a bit.

I wonder; how different are the WC and MN sounds? because if they are pretty much the same a DC kits WC chip might be good... not being an SR person I would not know.

That's a difficult one to answer.If it is possible,have a listen to a Loksound fitted rebuilt MN .I have a rebuilt WC which is so equipped.....yes,on DC analogue but it does work,believe it or not...and I think that is really good quality even though its capabilities are strictly limited on DC.Let's just say that I know the sound those pacifics made when in service and I am more than happy with its authenticity and if you can get one then you will hear how it reveals the glaring deficiencies of TTS.Depends on what you want really and how much you are prepared to spend