Grasshopper goes Large 7mm DA 'Black 5'

Gentlemen, I have found my inspiration again and enjoying it (so far ). Most of my tooling is 4mm so a jump up means a bit more expenditure which my friends are only too glad to help with :)

Preparation is always topmost, so I have made a start on the Tender chassis.

post-14207-0-20371900-1426091164.jpg

So as follows, as seen above. Inner frames cleaned up, bearings reamed, spacers folded and ready to fit, scoop assembled, Brake hangers, Brake rods, and Brake rod ends all ready to be fitted.

Now my friends who persuaded me are GoG's ( or should that be GoD's ) in building 7mm but I have not used anything larger than a 0.9mm drill all day and for the scoop that was 0.6mm,so much for larger scale.

The hole's in the frames are too small for the bearings and I do not have a reamer to widen them, thats why I've concentrated on more prep. In the background I am laminating some stirring sticks to make a jig for the brake rods simple but effective An idea nicked from OzzyO :)

Oh and getting the brake rods out of the etch was a task, much bending and tweaking was required, the front brake rod and the operating lever came out of the etch square but are connected by a bit of tubing about 0.6mm ID so I had to round them off to make a nice fit.

I already have scars on my fingers and haven't even started, so much for bigger is easier :)

Thats it for now, hope you follow me as I will need your advice along the way.

Grasshopper John.

PS The D0G is all about finished now needs painting and lining but going to wait for warmer weather.

Congratulations on your new adventure in 7mm. I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice along the way.

It's a good kit that goes together well, I done one a few years ago and other than upgrading some of the castings I enjoyed putting it together.

Have you considered some form of hornblocks/suspension?

Simon

Great to see you have taken the plunge at last, I would definitely recommend that you get yourself a reamer and a few smaller broaches. They save a lot of time and drill bits as well  ;) .

Keep up the good work Matey,

Martyn.

P.S.  You know we are here to help if you need us.

Hello John,

Good luck with your kit. I am the same after a 10 year break I am back modelling again. Like you previously it has always been 4mm, but I am about to dip a toe in the water with the big stuff. Probably one of Jim McGowans kits. I am just building a GWR 0-4-2t chassis for a friend.

I shall be following your experience with interest to see how the two scales differ.

Ian

Congratulations on your new adventure in 7mm. I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice along the way.

It's a good kit that goes together well, I done one a few years ago and other than upgrading some of the castings I enjoyed putting it together.

Have you considered some form of hornblocks/suspension?

Simon

Hello Simon,

Not really, as I am new although I have seen them used in lots of threads, I will however build a Non rigid chassis for the tender and as and when there will be some movement on the center driving wheel of the loco.

Hello John,

Good luck with your kit. I am the same after a 10 year break I am back modelling again. Like you previously it has always been 4mm, but I am about to dip a toe in the water with the big stuff. Probably one of Jim McGowans kits. I am just building a GWR 0-4-2t chassis for a friend.

I shall be following your experience with interest to see how the two scales differ.

Ian

Thanks Ian,

Jims kits are very good, my friends knew ( before me ) that I would join the big boys and as a tester they persuaded me to buy a 20ton Brake van from jim as a first attempt, it went together very well, I actually showed it to jim at Telford and he was impressed at my first attempt.

One thing for sure in 7mm there is a LOT more soldering and a lot less WM parts, so get stuck in Ian and don't forget to put up thread.

Regards

Grasshopper J.

Here is the Jig I mentioned out of the clamps,

post-14207-0-01591800-1426156825.jpg

I made it up by laminating 4 stirrers ( borrowed from virgin on way back from Telford ) and using side of frame to mark the holes. It's worked out rather well offering the frame up all the rods are dead center of the bearing holes, now out with the .6mm drill to make sure all the holes are open.

Thanks to OzzyO for the idea.

Grasshopper J.

Always good to see another convert to 7mm

now out with the .6mm drill to make sure all the holes are open.

I'll echo 3-link's suggestion and raise it to a strong recommendation Use reamers and 5- sided broaches to open out holes in etches. Drill bits are expensive and not the tool for the task. Even a cheap set of broaches is better. Though as you are building in 7mm where the metal is thicker than in 4mm I would buy a quality set. Unlike drill bits they will not break and only the very fine ones will bend.

Good luck with this build.

I haven't broken a drill yet, I am taking my time and using a pin chuck all holes now drilled and pieces of wire cut and in situ on the jig,

ordered a tapered reamer off eb as i need a slightly bigger hole to fit the bearings then I will start soldering :)

Hello Grasshopper,

good to see your starting on the Black 5 in 7mm, you will enjoy working on it.

For broaches try these links,

http://www.proopsbrothers.com/cutting-broaches-mini-240-mm-to-620-mm-6-piece-set-506-p.asp

http://www.proopsbrothers.com/12-piece-broach-set-s7023-3787-p.asp

The first set would be very handy for your 7mm work.

OzzyO.

PS. you may find this photo of some use.

post-8920-0-88117400-1426246621_thumb.jpg

Thanks OzzyO still referring to your build for hints and tips :) I have all the broaches just nothing at 7mm am waiting for tapered reamer to arrive it's frustrating as I cannot fit the bearings.

So I decided to do a bit of OzzyO work ( don't bother with the inst ). Have spent the morning with the soldering iron on as you can see

post-14207-0-63069000-1426251504.jpg

Both frames prepared all square and true took some time though, brake rods assembled and true, Brake shoes and scoop lever all laminated.

All in all am very pleased with how it's going.

Grasshopper J.

Don't forget that one of the tender frame spacers goes on one way up, the other, the other way up.

Thanks Jeff the bends go in the opposite direction so the flange on one is up the other pointing down.

Started to assemble the body today took it slow, started by riveting the footplate

and end panel.

post-14207-0-11365300-1426444868.jpg

Then fitted the 3 6ba nuts in place and fitting the bunker supports to the footplate( very tricky tbh )

post-14207-0-35127700-1426445077.jpg

Then I had to form the coal door casing and tin the front coal plate and front panel, they both have a very small rebate to accept the casing so that was another job you can see in the above on the right.

post-14207-0-49016400-1426445513.jpg

This is how I made the supports square just used 3 set squares parallel to each other.Oh and a bit of blue tack as that was all i had to keep them in place :)

Grasshopper J.

Don't forget that one of the tender frame spacers goes on one way up, the other, the other way up.

That would be the ones in mess#12

A couple of links for you John,

Steve's layout,

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/38539-ranelagh-bridge-west-london-stabling-point/

Martyn's layout,

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82305-church-norton/

How about your address,

OzzyO.

They are best made to clip onto the proper frames, so the inner one with wheels can be removed.

Correct, I am using OzzyO's build of this tender as a reference and he did make them as you describe, problem is I can't get my head around it :)

Daily update,

Back assembled and fitted to footplate.

post-14207-0-39060000-1426510663.jpg

post-14207-0-18323400-1426510683.jpg

Front assembled ( phew ) that was difficult, if it looks pssd it's because the vice is :)

post-14207-0-93298800-1426510794.jpg

post-14207-0-92505000-1426510818.jpg

Very pleased with the way its come together although the top plate needed a bit of fettering to make a nice fit to the rear plate.

I must admit I was preparing for assembly and made a mistake which cannot be rectified, am a bit down about it tbh or gutted may be a better description just have to carry on.

Grasshopper ( well given name that OzzyO )

PS I think the reamer has just arrived.

".....made a mistake which cannot be rectified..."

Never, mistakes can always be rectified It just takes a little bit of thinking about to come up with a workable solution. It is all part of the learning and skills curve. Look at the cock up on my thread!!!
  :imsohappy:
Keep going.

Regards
Sandy

Can you point me in the right direction Sandy, I know we ALL make mistakes the Biggest thing about modeling is knowing how to fix them.

This one is a stalemate, It's not something I've done It's something I haven't.

Am enjoying the build though It's going well so much for 7mm being bigger have really had to use nearly everything I can put mind to forming the Tender front.

These might be better pictures

post-14207-0-10686200-1426523812.jpg

post-14207-0-60166900-1426523836.jpg

post-14207-0-94107400-1426523854.jpg

Grasshopper J.

Archived