Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How many shunters?

I have been collecting Hornby 08s, to make up a small number of shunters that I require. But I think I many have gotten carried away with the prospect of the tinsley named 08s. I have now got 8 of em, and a class 13. Even tinsley never used all the shunters on one site at the same time, and the only time they would have been seen together would have been at weekends.

So the question is, how many shunters do we actually need for our layouts vs how many do you actually have?

Assuming that your layout has some sidings that require shunting, you may need one, with maybe another so you can swap loco's ever so often.

A buzy/large set of sidings might require two, with a spare, and allowing for swapping for a change of identity you might require five. But that would be a large layout.

If you have a large layout, with a station that requires a station pilot to do some coaching stock moves, you could maybe add another, making the most even a large layout would require would be six.

So, the question I ask is how many of us realistically have too many shunters for our layout? I know I have.

I only have the one shunter for my shunting layout so probably not enough, although I use larger locos more often so I doubt I'll be buying too many more. As the yard is supposed to be a small countr one, ~I guess the one shunter is the right amount though? 

• RMweb Premium

You only have 8 :O , I have a few more than that plus quite a lot of the smaller classes. :boast:

I supose it depends on the the layout type and location, and time period. Too many layouts which depict a country station seem to have a 350hp or a 204hp based at them were in reality the loco on the trip freight would shunt the wagons off and on its train. Any other wagon movement would be by pinch bar or capstan.

Models of larger goods and marshalling yards would have a collection, the number being determined by the the duties required. This number has over the years become less and less. The only solution to having loads of shunters is to have a depot layout.

Having waffled on all I can say is if you want lots of shunters then have fun collecting and running them......and building them as there are still many classes not available. :sungum: :sungum:

Edited by Clive Mortimore

I remember going to Shirebrook on a weekend in the 1970s and there were 12 shunters on the depot. I left wondering where they all worked. From there I drove to Worksop and saw another 8.

I think there was a big surplus of shunters in those days, as reductions in yards/sorting sidings meant duties were curtailed.

Edited by jonny777

• RMweb Gold

I remember going to Shirebrook on a weekend in the 1970s and there were 12 shunters on the depot. I left wondering where they all worked. From there I drove to Worksop and saw another 8.

I think there was a big surplus of shunters in those days, as reductions in yards/sorting sidings meant duties were curtailed.

A quick look at my copy of 'Shunter Duties' from the mid-1970s suggests for Shirebrook and Worksop;

Shirebrook

1 Mansfield Yard pilot

2 trip workings Mansfield Yard to Thoresby colliery

2 trip workings Mansfield Yard to Warsop Main (Shirebrook)

2 trip workings Mansfield Yard to Mansfield (Sherburn) colliery

1 Mansfield Yard to Langwith

1 Mansfield Yard to Ollerton colliery

Worksop

2 Worksop Yards

2 trip workings Worksop Yard to Thurcroft colliery

2 trip workings Worksop Yard to Manton Wood & Whitwell collieries

1 Worksop MGR pilot

Add in a few undergoing scheduled depot exams and the numbers soon mount up.

I have a green one for when I am operatiing 1970s, and a TOPS numbered blue one for the 1980s, each used alternately.

In the 1970s or 1980s a modest yard or set of sorting sidings might only need one yard pilot, but a couple more might be justfied if they were used

to work local trips to local yards/ private sidings/collieries nearby. Of course this would mean you would need less mainline locos!

When at exhibitions and I see depot layouts I often think that Ed Burkhardt or Philip Mengel would go ballistic if they could see all those locos standing around!

cheers

... Even tinsley never used all the shunters on one site at the same time...

That's the real point. Rotate them, to represent the reality of operation. Currently have nine from the area allocation, could have twelve as I haven't covered all the classes yet; and there are two visitors tripping in on freight transfers from other regions . As I cycle through the six year period  my operation covers, at most four of the native allocation will be on view at any time. The steam classes appear and disappear, and finally the four diesel shunters arrive. (Possibly the last of the 350hp diesel shunters shouldn't count as such, but as a wagon, as it arrives in an up freight, just as the progress through the years is about to halt, and we return to all-steam heaven.)

• Like 3

Far too many, and I keep buying more. Not including steam locos, I had 10 class 08, one class 09, a class 11 as well as three class 03, three class 04 and a class 14. Between my two layouts there would be a prototypical need for really no more than four at absolute most. Still, my railway and all that jazz....

• Like 2

Wath used a pair of 08s for trip workings, which could be an excuse for more !

I also have too many shunters, of Classes 03, 04 and 08, and, like many others I'm sure, have yard pilots at places which would never justify one in real life.

On my last operating layout (steam era GWR) I was always adding a new shunter of some description. I think I followed Cyril Freezer's suggestion of "When in doubt, add a pannier" fairly thoroughly. When I sold it I parted with about 8 or 9 of the 'matchboxes' and still have a selection left for the future.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

1 x class 02 in green

2 x class 03 in green

1 x class 03 in blue

2 x class 04 but 3 x bodies in black, green and blue.

1 x class 05 in green. (Silverfox body on an 04 Chassis, hence spare body above)

1 x class 06 in blue

1 x class 07 in green

2 x class 08 in green

1 x class 08 in blue

1 x Ruston & Hornsby / BR Class D1/3 0-4-0 shunter D2957 or 58 (Judith Edge kit as yet unbuilt)

In total too many!!!

• RMweb Premium

Just a few, these were the shunters for Hanging Hill, I have some more.

attachicon.gif067s.jpg

In addtion to those in the photo I have

Kit and scratchbuilt

An LMS Jackshaft drive 350hp

2 x Hunslet big cab 204hp (one needs painting)

1 x Barclay 204 hp 0-4-0 (needs painting)

both versions of the Hudswell Clark 204hp 0-6-0s

D2700, NBL 200hp 0-4-0

2 x Yorkhire Engine shunters (Craftsman kits)

1 x Ruston Hornsby 0-6-0, SR dock shunter (Sliver Fox model needing a paint job)

2 x Kitmaster 350s

1 x SR 350 (pre war type)

1 x GWR/Hawthorn-Leslie 350 (in the que for the paint shop)

sitting in a box waiting to be finished

1 x NBL 200hp 0-4-0 (second body style)

3 x NBL 225hp 0-4-0s (all three body variations)

1 x NBL 330hp 0-4-0

RTR

A pile of Lima 350hps

Some Wren 350s

2 x master and slave units, one is a Lima+Doublo conversion, the other (still under construction) 2 Hornby 08s

A Triang body on a Doublo chassis with a motor of unknown make driving through Thomas gears (picked up cheaply, runs very very well)

A converted Lima 09 to a LMS 350hp (class 11)

A Trix Ruston and Hornsby  PWM 0-6-0

and some more Hornby and Bachmann 08s purchased since the photo...........and may be another 2 03s.

Motors and wheels for 2 more class11s when I get round to making them

And on the computer desk a Hornby Railroad 08 awaiting a new chassis and work to be done on the body.

Could be more, need to check all the boxes.

You cannot have enough shunters.

Edit: Just been looking at some old photos of Pig Lane, I have a Ruston DS88 that is not on the above list.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

Somehow, my Hessle Haven layout has a few :-

1 x J71 (in build)

2 x J72

1 x J73

3 x J77

2 x T1

1 x N10

My excuse (if I need an excuse) is that many of these were/are test builds of Arthur Kimber's kits.

Hull, up until the mid/late 1950's did have literally dozens of shunting locomotives of a variety of classes. Added to those were the dozens of locomotives (N8's, N10's, N13's, A7's) which were used for trip workings between the docks and the various goods and marshalling yards.

So, perhaps, a model of the railways around Hull can't have too many shunting locomotives!!!

Cheers

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...