The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Premium

Personally having seen Hornby transform their product delivery from sluggish and unreliable; to briskly delivering more new product variety, albeit with some small reliability issue in exactly hitting release dates, it's much better than before. Was anybody counting just how much completely newly tooled OO product went on retail sale in the UK in 2015? It feels like Hornby swept the board in numbers of all-new releases, to the extent that I would guess their total probably matched all the other OO players combined total. Why get agititated in any way about what future all-new product Hornby have in the pipeline is my attitude? After all they are banging out the all-new product fast enough that it will soon be revealed!

I think this is the real key, it may be obvious but I don't think people are that worried about corporate communications if high quality goods are on the shelves whereas the best comms in the world cannot compensate for the sort of position Hornby found themselves in three or four years ago. Good comms would have helped Hornby then in terms of perhaps securing a more understanding attitude from some but fundamentally if the product is either not there or is of sub-par quality then comms can't do anything to correct things. I think the engine shed has benefitted from being launched at a time when Hornby was rebounding, quality was going back up, design clever was binned, product was hitting the shelves and they were in a bit f a new tooling blitz. However, for all that it is an excellent initiative from them and I love it.

• RMweb Gold

I think there are some very good reasons why 'The Engine Shed' works so well -

1. It is clearly written by people very much involved in the development of new models and they are keen to let others see what they are achieving,

2. It also has an obvious sense of humour all of its own with the ever emerging string of 'teaser' shots giving little hints about what is in the pipeline,

3. It is well produced and relatively brief but 'pithy' in content.

Overall it adds up to real people talking to us about real things without a load of marketing speak or buzz words (apart from repeated mentions of the 'official forum') so it has a subtlety and 'friendliness' which marketeer speak often lacks.  the sense of humour/teaser approach helps in this as well as does the overall style and quality of production.  It must be a marketing man's dream to find someone to do his job for him and do it far more effectively than he can.

• Like 2

It must be a marketing man's dream to find someone to do his job for him and do it far more effectively than he can.

Perhaps some kudos are deserved for deciding not to let ego get in the way and owning the whole message himself and letting those more expert in the subject matter speak?

Given that the Model Railways market is generally full well experimented passionate people, the normal marketing speak (sic. If you buy our product or service then your life will be better - whilst providing hardly details to prove that so called fact) simply won,t work on most of us.

Classic marketing speak might do well selling railroad items to new comers, I mean a railroad Scotsman on paper looks pretty close to a full detailed main Scotsman on paper, like it looks like the loco, is the same size, correct number of wheels etc. however more discerning people would compare the products at a more detailed level and would not be fooled.

A second advantage of the blog is that they have direct feedback rather than results of marketing surveys,

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good marketing is always aimed at its target audience and designed to communicate appropriately. Marketing types may have a certain reputation and image (which may be justified, or may not be) but I think all good marketing people understand that they have to project the product or service they are trying to sell in a way which will be received by the intended customer base.

A while ago Nat Southworth did a Q&A exercise on here which was received very badly on account of him answering in marketing speak and a seeming lack of knowledge and passion for the Hornby product. For that many dismissed him as not having a clue about communicating with the hobby. From where I sit he actually looks to be far more astute than people ever gave him credit for. True, he personally probably is not particularly well placed to communicate with model train enthusiasts but he clearly seems to have understood that there were people within Hornby plus the ever enjoyable Simon Kohler who did understand the hobby and who were could communicate well with enthusiasts. Which kind of indicates he is better at his job than people credited him for, he doesn't have to be the one that does the communicating, he can quite legitimately use the resources he has available and which can do the job very well to do that bit.

• Like 2

It also helps a lot that your earlier statement is also true:

I think the engine shed has benefitted from being launched at a time when Hornby was rebounding, quality was going back up, design clever was binned, product was hitting the shelves and they were in a bit f a new tooling blitz.

Had there been less to say we would have seen a lot more comments along the lines of "there's nothing new this time" regarding the "The Engine Shed" blog and it would not be perceived to be nearly as successful as it was in it's first year.

Had Hornby's largest competitor adopted something like "The Engine Shed" I suspect they'd have had a harder time producing a biweekly column with fresh content in each edition through 2015. I remain content with quarterly updates from them.  Did they ever fill the website developer position that they advertised?

It's a fine line between too little and too often with not enough to say, but the essential component is regular communications and I am enjoying what we see from both of the larger companies.

I suspect that duplication issues (and staffing levels) make it more difficult for the smaller, newer suppliers to communicate on a predictable and regular basis.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

... (apart from repeated mentions of the 'official forum')

Curiously there are some changes there recently (as of January 20th).  Were I to comment on the appearance of the new layout my comments would look petty so I won't. Doubtless some software developers are working very hard to reinvent the wheel over at (or at least for) Hornby.

Besides the GUI and software feature changes, they have introduced the concept of community moderators. Clearly the effort to increase honby.com traffic is a point of emphasis for the company. Other toy companies have corporate sponsored forums do this too. It's sensible, from a business standpoint so I make no criticism there.

It will be interesting to see if there is a new Engine Shed blog tomorrow and whether they emphasize their forum in any way.

Engine Shed update on line now.

Mainly stuff about the Gresly Commemoration set, describing each model in detail.

And a competition result from Christmas.

I suppose there's not been much development work to report on, and we're coming up to the Chinese New Year at the beginning of February.  Its the Year of the Monkey, so anything could turn up in March......

• RMweb Gold

Curiously there are some changes there recently (as of January 20th).  Were I to comment on the appearance of the new layout my comments would look petty so I won't. Doubtless some software developers are working very hard to reinvent the wheel over at (or at least for) Hornby.

Besides the GUI and software feature changes, they have introduced the concept of community moderators. Clearly the effort to increase honby.com traffic is a point of emphasis for the company. Other toy companies have corporate sponsored forums do this too. It's sensible, from a business standpoint so I make no criticism there.

It will be interesting to see if there is a new Engine Shed blog tomorrow and whether they emphasize their forum in any way.

They do at the end.. just to make you happy!

• Like 1

Why has Hornby decided to go with gloss? I was really hoping to pick up this set but now I have doubts as it won't fit in with my other LNER Pacifics also is it me or was this blog just an advert for this set?

Why has Hornby decided to go with gloss? I was really hoping to pick up this set but now I have doubts as it won't fit in with my other LNER Pacifics also is it me or was this blog just an advert for this set?

• RMweb Gold

Why has Hornby decided to go with gloss? I was really hoping to pick up this set but now I have doubts as it won't fit in with my other LNER Pacifics also is it me or was this blog just an advert for this set? Why has Hornby decided to go with gloss? I was really hoping to pick up this set but now I have doubts as it won't fit in with my other LNER Pacifics also is it me or was this blog just an advert for this set?

You might be agreeably surprised at what a gloss finish can do.....especially with Hornby's rather lifeless green.If possible,take a look at Locomotion Models limited edition King George V.

You might be agreeably surprised at what a gloss finish can do.....especially with Hornby's rather lifeless green.If possible,take a look at Locomotion Models limited edition King George V.

Something has to be done regarding the GWR livery application. The gloss coated King from Locomotion seems to be well received indeed, even though I've not seen one in person.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Gold

It's a nice preview of Osprey in green.  Given how many A4s have been produced over the years I do not understand why there have been so few RTR A4s in green.

I believe perceived wisdom at Margate is that it appealed to a limited market and thus would not sell.....and yes,the green was short -lived in terms of length of time in service.Well,what goes round comes round.Thus it now seems to appeal to a 21st c. grroup of enthusists.Sign here.....me first..!!.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

About 2 years -17 locos built in 1936 but it was decided that the Garter Blue livery was more appropriate than either the green or the silver grey Coronation livery

I thought it was only about 10 that received the green livery.

Gloss Apple Green A4, this is going to be a must have for me.

gresley-collection-Osprey-web.jpg

I wonder if the gloss finish is going to be the norm across most of the range. The picture of the soon to be released R3323, late BR 5MT tends to indicate this spec of finish/paintwork.It reminds me of a superior detailed Bassett-Lowke product. Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1

About 2 years -17 locos built in 1936 but it was decided that the Garter Blue livery was more appropriate than either the green or the silver grey Coronation livery

My impression is that Garter Blue is a colour that suits the A4 shape (Familiarity? Perhaps.).  The Silver Grey Coronation livery was a disaster in terms of appearance, as the locos quickly started looking as if they were uncared for as dirt accumulated along rivet lines and seemed resistant to cleaning!

The LNER green is "different" on the A4, so it makes a good choice for a limited edition issue.

I'm not convinced about the gloss finish, it seems too reminicent of old Triang models...

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if the gloss finish is going to be the norm across most of the range. The picture of the soon to be released R3323, late BR 5MT tends to indicate this spec of finish/paintwork.It reminds me of a superior detailed Bassett-Lowke product.

And I ....for one.....hope this finish will be available across the range.At the risk of repeating myself,from what I have already experienced with the glossed KGV,it will 'lift' some lifeless paint finishes.I did chat to the Hornby team at Warley on the subject of paint finish.Who knows....maybe they listened? Heljan have already produced several of their models in that kind of finish with excellent results.

• Like 1

I have one of the gloss Kings and it looks magnificent. The number produced was very small, as if the market was being tested. It seems as if Hornby has deciced to give it a bigger trial, having taken note of the rapid selling out, the favourable comments and Ian's prompting.

Bearing in mind that there is so much stuff emerging that I have to look for excuses not to buy things, and that I am a child of the time when flangeless wheels were normal, I have avoided Hornby's new generation pacifics. I loath those flangeless trailing wheels with an unreasoning passion.

Looking at the pictures, though, I feel myself weakening. I certainly don't want another 2001, perhaps an A4 but the A1 and A3 look mighty desirable. Has anyone else noticed that on Hornby's website the A3 has a round dome but in the Engine Shed pictures it has a banjo dome? As to the A4, whilst in many respects it looks appealing, painting the boiler bands on the streamlined casing was not, IMHO, a good idea. It was done again in BR days and was (IMHO again) unfortunate. The BR bands on the casings of Bulleid pacifics was much more sympathetic to the shape. None of which is Hornby's fault, of course.

I did get one new A4. Sawing off some bits from the plastic trailing truck allowed a lot of sideways travel but the flanged wheelset didn't rotate because it didn't touch the railhead. At that stage I gave up in exasperation but I think there is a simple fix. A spacer underneath the keeper plate allows the wheelset to drop enough without falling out altogether.

Two more small points. Please, Hornby, paint the wheels; they look awful if you don't and the locos would look better with satin or matt smokeboxes and other black parts. What do others think?

That gloss finish doesn't look bad at all. My very first Hornby A4, Mallard,  (that's Hornby Dublo) had a  matt  finish. The version before was Silver King which was made with a gloss finish.  Since then matt seems to have been the norm for r-t-r steam models.  I made a Jamieson Green Arrow long ago which I sprayed gloss because the full sized engine always looked very shiny. But otherwise my locos have been satin or matt (usually matt). However that would make a gloss loco or two stand out...