The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Premium

Why don't we go back to Moulded handrails then. That would solve everyone's problems with knobs! I'm so over hearing people moan about the angle they are at. Do you honestly notice them when your locos are running? I certainly don't.

Edited by Hilux5972
  • Like 1

Why don't we go back to Moulded handrails then. That would solve everyone's problems with knobs! I'm so over hearing people moan about the angle they are at. Do you honestly notice them when your locos are running? I certainly don't.

Well now we know that some modelers use protractors a lot more that they need..!

post-27484-0-82170600-1455937038.jpg

Today's posting to "The Engine Shed" blog is mostly focused on the Class 71.

For those interested in the actual tooling process, the end of the blog has photographs of a number of tools being developed for the Class 71. (It's not immediately obvious, but there are captions - they are not well located.)

At the end of the blog is a photograph of all the components of a J50 prior to assembly. The caption indicates these are 'first shots' from the tooling or as others call them EP sample components.

I have to say that Hornby really is stepping up their communication here in a material effort to engage their customers.

Blimey that J50 could almost be a Keyser kit!

• RMweb Gold

Interesting that the Peckett liveries were due to be in the next "Engine Shed"  -  maybe they've cleared that edition such that they can do a "spoiler" edition just before Bachmann's Announcement ?

Stop trying to stir with the Evil Hornby bu..sh... If they were SO good at being the evil empire you try to make them, they would not be in the financial situation they are in.

Edited by Vistiaen

• RMweb Gold

Interesting that the Peckett liveries were due to be in the next "Engine Shed"  -  maybe they've cleared that edition such that they can do a "spoiler" edition just before Bachmann's Announcement ?

What, Bachmann are about to announce a Peckett too?

I see that its "Made In China".

When do they expect it to arrive?

Since Bachmann, Dapol and Heljan are doing it because their rivals have the handrail issue...I presume it should get priority over the rest. However the companies listed are infamous for long turn-around times.... :nono: 

So 2019 is my best guess.... I purposely left the "MADE IN CHINA" mark.  :stinker:

Will it cost twice as much as it did last year?

Oh yes....production costs rising by the day  :locomotive:

• RMweb Gold

Stop trying to stir with the Evil Hornby bu..sh... If they were SO good at being the evil empire you try to make them, they would not be in the financial situation they are in.

Evil doesn't pay. Every time the Empire has nearly finished the Death Star it gets blown up. Must be costing them a fortune. Bet they won't get insurance on the next one.

• RMweb Gold

Is it my imagination or are the boiler handrail knobs on the B12 horizontal...

B12 handrails are mounted not far from the centre-line of the boiler, where radial=horizontal. Same goes for the S15. 

The problem only becomes really noticeable on locos with skinny boilers.

J.

• RMweb Gold

B12 handrails are mounted not far from the centre-line of the boiler, where radial=horizontal. Same goes for the S15. 

The problem only becomes really noticeable on locos with skinny boilers.

J.

Bit like when H start using unsprung/ moulded buffers - the modelling world goes mad, yet when Another manufacture does the same thing they win model of the year lol

• Like 1

The Peckett liveries were described in the 5/2/16 edition. Or am I missing something here?

Bit like when H start using unsprung/ moulded buffers - the modelling world goes mad, yet when Another manufacture does the same thing they win model of the year lol

I actually quite like 'Design Clever'.    Maybe the loss of smokebox handles being separate was a bridge too far. Separate handrails are nice too when done well, but sometimes are not very obvious when moulded, to the naked eye at least.

Misalignment of running plates, cabs, smokeboxes, that hasn't gone away, and I have yet to hear of a GWR 2-8-0T or 2-8-2T which has worn out its un-bushed axle housings.

That said, I am glad Hornby are now making things at or near the standard of Sanda Kan's best.  Photographing 34013 Axminster today.

• Like 1

Here's hoping the Engine Shed survives the probable cutbacks at Hornby due to deteriorating financial condition of the business. 

Twould that Bachmann were as open about their development process/progress.

• RMweb Gold

I really don't see the point of sprung buffers on a model that is designed to have automatic couplings.

Metal.heads are certainly desirable for reasons of scale and durability, but any buyer with the skill to fit a pair of "proper" couplings shouldn't have any difficulty changing the buffers, too.

Then the rest of us wouldn't have to pay for functioning buffers that never need to function.

Metal (or at least integral) front steps on Bulleid Pacifics would be money far better spent, the plastic ones become detached so easily that I no longer bother fitting them.

John