The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

There are a number of pictures in today's Engine shed blog only one of which is actually stated as being a teaser for something from the 2017 range...

Yes, is the researcher stood on the roof of something, or on the tender of something?

• RMweb Gold

And what do you think it is Mike?

Well it's fairly certainly a tank engine (or that is fake coal?), it's very carefully framed to avoid showing the back of the bunker or all the cab roof, it's got a piece of L angle on the rear edge of the cab roof (I say cab roof because it appears to curve and the coal is very close to the edge of it in vertical terms).  Thus it is almost certainly a tank engine.  Next you need to think of a tank engine which Hornby already do but which is showing its age or one which has done well in the polls.  I conclude that it is likely to be either GWR or NER or Scottish - now find out that has that L shaped angle on the back edge of the cab roof and thus far that gives a GWR large prairie (although the rivet pattern isn't quite right or a SECR Class H (where I can't find a pic of the rivet pattern to check).

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2

I've got so far that's preserved and likely to have coal in the bunker is a GW 2-6-2T large prairie; but there might be others I've missed of course.

Yes, on the basis of no analysis at all, that was the thought that was passing through my mind, perhaps we are at last to see an upgrade of the 61xx

In a fit of original research, I went to the Bucks Rail website. I do note Quainton has a modified hall. If someone has a slightly warped sense of humour, picking that would be quite amusing. Not sure if it fits the photo they're showing on the blog though

They don't say when the photo was taken hence a visiting loco could be a possibility. Does anyone know if they either do third party work that doesn't show in their stock list or if locos are lodged temporarily either for festivals or when travelling between other locations? If I'm being cynical, the picture with the background of the shed looks like it was taken a while back given the guy is wearing summer gear and the background light looks bright. Also, there is nothing to link the two photos together as being at the same time or indeed place or that the loco he's photographed by is the one they are adding to the 2017 range.

I wouldn't put it past Hornby to deliberately try and set a false trail here to help increase the level of frothing!

David

Edit: wrote post before identification of location as StEAM. However I think my argument / cynicism still applies!

Edited by Clearwater

The first photo is of 94XX at Swindon museum, which would be a stange choice as Bachmann are doing one unless they plan to do a 15XX!

Toad in the background certainly ties in with STEAM so I stand corrected!  And 2516 has an L angle along the back of the cab.  But the tender is separated by quite a distance in the museum.  So the coal would have to be a piece of Photoshopping?

This is still only a mild frothfest so far.  Any other offers?

Edited by Froxfield2012

94xx - not my cup of tea!  But I hope they measured up that Toad in the background - that realy would be very welcome indeed!  And maybe when they finished at Quainton they went on to Didcot and measured up the 53xx - you never know!

Of course the engine could be a red herring and it really is the Toad in the background!  If it is - seperate handrails please!

Isn't there a Manor at Steam at the moment marshalled next to or near the railcar. That would fit nicely with Hornby's Grange and Hall and stick two fingers up at the blue team at the same time, after all, a retooled Manor is long overdue! Afraid I'm no expert on the detail on the edge of the Manors cab roof!

Cor - how to start a frothfest in one easy lesson  :jester:

I was more interested in the following commentary:

The new items of tooling for the 2016 range, such as the Q6Collett Coaches and the Bulleid and Maunsell Cattle Wagon, were actually finalised a year earlier during May/June 2014, with research and design taking place between then and November 2015.

"Staking a claim" vis-à-vis the 23rd of July, 2014?

Edited by Ozexpatriate

I was more interested in the following commentary: "Staking a claim" vis-à-vis the 23rd of July, 2014?

Why bother? It's academic now. But roughly two years from the decision that it is to be produced to the model going on sale, (if the intended release date is achieved) feels like brisk progress. Seen plenty of models undoubtedly in development by evidence of 3D prints and the like, for three, and four, and more, years.

Although, given the introduction rate demonstrated by Hornby over the past eighteen months, there is a 'warning shot' in there. Consider that there will very likely have been a matching decision point in mid 2015 for the 2017 range introductions, and mostly likely in six months time another decision point for the 2018 range introductions; in order to keep the new introduction 'pipeline' filled. Hornby have pretty certainly been looking at the wishlisting - or it is an amazing coincidence just how many of the consistently most heavily voted for subjects are turning up in their range! - so for any competitor looking at a much requested subject, there's an indication of the speed required to get any potential duplicate out before Hornby have it on sale.

• Like 1