The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

I wouldn't entirely disagree. I have seen some models which to my eye look very pleasing, yet I realise with surprise that they are quite matt. It must be something to do with the density of the colour and possibly the shade too. On the other hand, I have seen some gloss finishes which are badly done. All the same, the gloss King looks magnificent and so should these items.

• 2 weeks later...

The Hornby Engine Shed blog 05/02/16 is up, with an announcement of the Peckett W4 liveries.

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/the-peckett-w4-liveries-are-here/

In order, they're:

• Works Leaf Green
  • MSC Green
  • Huntly and Palmer Blue

Whist they're all rather nice, I'm afraid that i'm going to be wanting the Huntly and Palmer variant.  It just takes the biscuit!

Sorry......

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just to be clear that although they have used a picture of me talking to Paul (about all things Southern related, both announced and yet to be announced... :) ) Hornby do know who I am (as I got tipped off about the use of the photo last night..) and therefore I am not the mystery Peckett gentleman referred to in the text.. (besides I refute any possible association with being a gentleman.. )

The H & P livery looks nice tho...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

No doubt about it - the H&P one for me, I'll get my order in tomorrow with one of my 'local' modelshops.

The interesting thing about the H&P one is the unknown story of its later transfer to a light railway who were so taken with the livery they were allowed to keep it as H&P regarded it as useful advertising, apparently.

I do however wonder about the blue as it looks somewhat lighter than H&P 'house colour' blue - time to delve in my H&P archive methinks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No doubt about it - the H&P one for me, I'll get my order in tomorrow with one of my 'local' modelshops.

The interesting thing about the H&P one is the unknown story of its later transfer to a light railway who were so taken with the livery they were allowed to keep it as H&P regarded it as useful advertising, apparently.

I do however wonder about the blue as it looks somewhat lighter than H&P 'house colour' blue - time to delve in my H&P archive methinks.

Hi Mike

If you do find that the blue should be any different let me know and I can pass on to Paul accordingly unless you still have his contact details?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike

If you do find that the blue should be any different let me know and I can pass on to Paul accordingly unless you still have his contact details?

Muz I've done a quick check of the some of the colour references which I have for H&P which - as it happens - are more or less contemporaneous with their Pecketts.  There is unfortunately some variation although this could well be down to the printers of the ephemera I have so I'm going to do a more detailed check of everything over the weekend to establish which was the predominant colour which was used on advertising and any other official material I have.

I'm fairly sure without checking that I still have Paul's email address so if I can get some accurate scans of the most predominant shade I will pass pass them to him or via you if I can't relocate his address.  The quick check does thus far indicate that the blue was a bit richer and slightly darker than the way my monitor shows the sample on The Engine Shed. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've no idea what the H&P blue should look like, but it's an interesting and appealing colour all the same.

I duly order one from my 'local' model shop on Saturday, very delectable looking little engine I think  (but I don't somehow think I'm going to let my 40ft[:the inch] plan of the H&P railway network lead me into temptation ;) ).

• Like 1

Do I need a Peckett in H&P livery?  Definitely NOT.  But maybe I have to?  My great-uncle worked for H&P man and boy!

Somewhat off topic.  Stationmaster has a habit of coming up with interesting snippets.  Some years ago, I think, it was a picture of the small porter's office on Tilehurst station shortly before demolition.  I spent many hours there a youngster with my father and the porter, Jack Stockton.  Now it's the H&P railway system.  My great grandfather worked for the GWR for 55 years, retiring from X shop Swindon in 1926.  He worked in the Reading PW "factory" for 28 years: approx. 1876 to 1904.  In the 1881 census, he is shown as working at the Biscuit Factory.  This is either a census error (not unknown!) or he was working on something for the GWR down at H&P.  I don't suppose Stationmaster could throw any light on the probability of this?

PS  I guess any (reasonably dark) blue will do for me, uncritical as I am.  Although Reading Museum has a significant collection of H&P artefacts, including a gallery devoted to the company, which is, I think supported by an archive.  Maybe they would have something definitive on corporate colours for the firm that was such a major part of Reading's history.  A quick Google brings up plenty of images of the classic H&P biscuit tin blue from the 1930s.  It is certainly darker than the blue background of the Reading Borough Coat of Arms.

Edited by Froxfield2012
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Do I need a Peckett in H&P livery?  Definitely NOT.  But maybe I have to?  My great-uncle worked for H&P man and boy!

Somewhat off topic.  Stationmaster has a habit of coming up with interesting snippets.  Some years ago, I think, it was a picture of the small porter's office on Tilehurst station shortly before demolition.  I spent many hours there a youngster with my father and the porter, Jack Stockton.  Now it's the H&P railway system.  My great grandfather worked for the GWR for 55 years, retiring from X shop Swindon in 1926.  He worked in the Reading PW "factory" for 28 years: approx. 1876 to 1904.  In the 1881 census, he is shown as working at the Biscuit Factory.  This is either a census error (not unknown!) or he was working on something for the GWR down at H&P.  I don't suppose Stationmaster could throw any light on the probability of this?

PS  I guess any (reasonably dark) blue will do for me, uncritical as I am.  Although Reading Museum has a significant collection of H&P artefacts, including a gallery devoted to the company, which is, I think supported by an archive.  Maybe they would have something definitive on corporate colours for the firm that was such a major part of Reading's history.  A quick Google brings up plenty of images of the classic H&P biscuit tin blue from the 1930s.  It is certainly darker than the blue background of the Reading Borough Coat of Arms.

I would be a little surprised if someone from the GWR P.Way Dept was working at the Biscuit Factory unless the railway were involved in track layout alterations  (which could definitely happen on the GWR side of the tunnel and possibly further into the factory site).  Interesting to see that your great grandfather retired the year before mine retired (from the PerWay gang at Uffington).

The shade of blue is very interesting and I spent some time yesterday going through H& P trade cards which I think gave a fairly consistent indication of the blues used on the large H&P biscuit tins between the 1880s and 1910 and which is probably fairly representative of the darker shade of blue in H&P 'house colours' at that time (they clearly used more than one shade of blue).  Copies of my research have gone to Hornby and I show one of my examples below -

post-6859-0-29300500-1455019472_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I would be a little surprised if someone from the GWR P.Way Dept was working at the Biscuit Factory unless the railway were involved in track layout alterations  (which could definitely happen on the GWR side of the tunnel and possibly further into the factory site).  Interesting to see that your great grandfather retired the year before mine retired (from the PerWay gang at Uffington).

The shade of blue is very interesting and I spent some time yesterday going through H& P trade cards which I think gave a fairly consistent indication of the blues used on the large H&P biscuit tins between the 1880s and 1910 and which is probably fairly representative of the darker shade of blue in H&P 'house colours' at that time (they clearly used more than one shade of blue).  Copies of my research have gone to Hornby and I show one of my examples below -

attachicon.gifExample 2 adj.jpg

Surely that should be "Sand in the Luncheon"?

What I want to know is whats going on out of shot to the left of the picture. "I don't know m'dear, they might be waving or sinking!"

On the other hand the reactions of the pic-nic party give the impression that they've just been visited by a swarm of wasps.....

Given the level of poverty of the agricultural labouring classes in the 1860s/70s (post enclosure of the land, and with increasing mechanisation, there was much less need for manpower), the agricultural communities through which the railways passed were somewhat privileged.  The railways had a great demand for labour (including gangers and platelayers) and blessed indeed was the family that managed to get employment on the GWR.  In my own family of that period based in Chilson, Oxfordshire, several individuals joined the railway in one form or another: a guard based in Worcester, one to the wagon works in Worcester and still another to the local PW in Chilson.  This was a fifty year career in many cases.  And this employment opportunity lasted into the next generation.  One member of the extended family was a signalman at Challow in 1911!  The social impact of the railway cannot be under-estimated.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like the complete chutzpah/lack of irony trumpeting the imminent release of a 70yr anniversary tie in of the end of ww2 just the 6 or so months late.

Now given demob happening in phases over 45-47 or so, perhaps they are right for the 70th but that feels like accident and not design! If I were them, I'd stop doing time dated products given the supply chain issues...

David

That's the card reader for the new rent a loco option from Hornby.

You put your contactless credit card near the railway and each time the loco passes you get charged, no pay, no play!!

They reckon one child with a simply roundy roundy will repay the overdraft to the bank in a year if they use it daily at full throttle.

Wow! Did anyone else see hints of a new easy fit decoder? One which does not require you to remove the tender body.

attachicon.gifEasyFitDecoder.jpg

Thats the prototype of the "remote control" battery system.  Note the deformed rear of the tender due to the internal combustion lithium battery..... 

But B12 YES!

Huntley and Palmer Peckett Yesyesyesyes!!!!

Drool.....