The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Gold

I really don't see the point of sprung buffers on a model that is designed to have automatic couplings.

Metal.heads are certainly desirable for reasons of scale and durability, but any buyer with the skill to fit a pair of "proper" couplings shouldn't have any difficulty changing the buffers, too.

Then the rest of us wouldn't have to pay for functioning buffers that never need to function.

Metal (or at least integral) front steps on Bulleid Pacifics would be money far better spent, the plastic ones become detached so easily that I no longer bother fitting them.

John

If you are referring to the Modified Merchant Navies and Air-Smoothed Bulleid Light Pacifics, then you have a point however I made no mention of that!! They do tend to stay put on the Modified/rebuilt Light Pacifics - if you use the right adhesive. 

The point is that when Hornby decided not to put sprung buffers/ brass bearings/ moulded smoke-box door handles on lets say DoG or the Heavy Tanks, poor Andy Y was left trying to fire-fight all the animosity it caused. 

If you are referring to the Modified Merchant Navies and Air-Smoothed Bulleid Light Pacifics, then you have a point however I made no mention of that!! They do tend to stay put on the Modified/rebuilt Light Pacifics - if you use the right adhesive. 

The point is that when Hornby decided not to put sprung buffers/ brass bearings/ moulded smoke-box door handles on lets say DoG or the Heavy Tanks, poor Andy Y was left trying to fire-fight all the animosity it caused. 

The Financial Times article today says that Hornby is stuck with fussy older buyers.   

As to fixed buffers, they break far too easily for my liking.

The only adhesive I can think of which works on many small-part breakages, (MN WC Britannia whistles anyone?) is super strength Araldite two-part exoxy, which does rather require judicious placement, tape and/or a temporary jig... and 12 hours.  Cyano acrylate might work for some but my nerves go to pieces in placing things and I cannot hold them in the right spot with a steady hand.  I used to use polystyrene for many things but it ruins the part and mating surface and if it comes off you have a mess... 

typo edit

Edited by robmcg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not much in this one due to the Chines New Year holiday. Videos of Duchess of Hamilton concessions exclusive, TTS Class 67 and Mallard, and a nice blog about Nat Southworths trip with his done on the Inaugural Scotsman run.

The progress report on the B12 had passed me by, but prompted by this thread went for a look and that is truly 'wow'. Perfection of th UK 4-6-0 type. Good to read Nat still projecting confidence, hope he's proved right.

I really don't see the point of sprung buffers on a model that is designed to have automatic couplings...

Now me, I really like them on locos. Enables the coupling distance to be set very close with the inside buffer compressing on curves, matching the effect of using the close coupling mechs on coaches. Not a deal breaker for me one way or the other, but nice to have.

I found Nat Southworth's piece quite positive and heart-warming. It was also pleasing to see that he didn't completely gloss over Hornby's current financial woes. Maybe the timing of his entry to the 'engine shed' was coincidental, maybe not, but either way I think this sort of communication should be encouraged.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I found Nat Southworth's piece quite positive and heart-warming. It was also pleasing to see that he didn't completely gloss over Hornby's current financial woes. Maybe the timing of his entry to the 'engine shed' was coincidental, maybe not, but either way I think this sort of communication should be encouraged.

I loved it, and lets' hope he is right about there still being a passion for trains in the general population. I hope also that he is right that Hornby will be there to bring them into the hobby.

• Like 1

I found Nat Southworth's piece quite positive and heart-warming. It was also pleasing to see that he didn't completely gloss over Hornby's current financial woes.

I loved it, and lets' hope he is right about there still being a passion for trains in the general population.

This was a good step.forward for Nat. I am pleased that he has let Hornby fans know that he has a personal interest in the future of model railways - even if vicariously through his son. This is something that we model railway enthusiasts have not seen from him before.

I don't doubt that the experience of seeing people flock to the Flying Scotsman run was eye-opening to him. Frankly I think most of us were surprised at the level of personal interest people took. (Ignorance is not an excuse for some of the dangerous lineside behaviour, but it's clear that it was fueled by a lot of exuberance which in itself is a good thing.)

Rather than look at this cynically, what I see in this piece is Nat overcoming some reluctance to be seen in the same company as the 'anoraks' / 'train geeks' / whatever pejorative terms people use for the railway enthusiast community we inhabit. I think that is good.

When times are difficult it is nice to see people step forward as Nat has done rather than shrink into the shadows.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Gold

Considering the brickbats thrown at him a while back,it's brave of him to step up to the plate again.Some very positive signs coming from Hornby.An engaging piece which I enjoyed....and is that another of Locomotion's glossy specials I see ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Fair play to Nat Southworth for putting his head above the parapet, writing an engaging blog and for being up front that they're in a bit of a hole and have a lot of work to do to put the company back on track. I think it is easy to be cynical about these things but personally I think it is a good sign and to be applauded.

• Like 2

I too was very pleased to see Nat's contribution, and his mention of the team of people dedicated to getting things right at Hornby.  Nice stuff.

The pictures of Zach and the clear enthusiasm of the whole Flying Scotsman event, all good, as I mess around with a series of A3 pictures from the LNER era. :)

Well you can't miss the glossy 6229 .Labelled as 'concessions' ..not Locomotion ...sorry . But it is unmistakably in gloss finish.

I asked about the gloss finish on the Gresley Collection at the Glasgow show and was told that this is what customers want from ltd editions and he gave an example of the Gloss King produced for locomotion that had sold out.

When I pointed out that this had partly been down to the poor green colour they use and the Gloss finish adding a bit of depth to the colour his response was  "Our green is 100% accurate" and the market wants ltd editions in Gloss finish.

So expect more specials in Gloss and a lot more washed our BR Green Loco's!

I just hope some one at Hornby contacted the NRM to tell them they had put the wrong shade of green on the Flying Scotsman!

• Like 1

That model of 6229 isn't gloss. That is just the standard sheen of the paint Hornby use. It's definitely not Gloss.

Nope, it is gloss. Clearly looks different from other Hornby locos and also other streamlined Duchess Class locos from Hornby. So yes it is gloss....

• RMweb Gold

I'll be the grumpy one then! It is great that Nat and his son went and he has written about it.

The counter is what was the Hornby marketing plan to capitalise on probably the biggest train related news day (global coverage) of the year? Especially with a warehouse full of Scotsman models.

Let's hope not. His writing style is not very impressive for a Director of Marketing.

Judgement by results alone people. Best MD I ever worked for couldn't consecutively spell a six or more letters word the same twice, and the concept of 'the sentence' had totally escaped him. But his grasp of what the customers wanted, and the direction of how to achieve it were consistently solid gold.That's what Hornby needs right now, and nobody will care whether it comes with polish or not.