Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

• RMweb Premium

just a quick one has anyone recevied their Sterling who is not on the UK mainland? 

I think last Friday Stuart had said he would start sending out our overseas orders when he got back to work on Tuesday. (Yesterday).

So I would have assumed none of us overseas would have received anything for a while. 

Also that was before Stuart knew he would have to deal with the APC issues.

Tom

• RMweb Gold

just a quick one has anyone recevied their Sterling who is not on the UK mainland?

As Stewart said last week he would be starting in the overseas orders on 31st July and that was before the misdelivery problem reared it's head.

BTW the loco is "Stirling"

The currency is "Sterling"

Edited by Colin_McLeod
  • Like 1

As Stewart said last week he would be starting in the overseas orders on 31st July and that was before the misdelivery problem reared it's head.

Thanks guys for clearing it up .I will remember the difference between the loco and currency!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think last Friday Stuart had said he would start sending out our overseas orders when he got back to work on Tuesday. (Yesterday).

So I would have assumed none of us overseas would have received anything for a while. 

Also that was before Stuart knew he would have to deal with the APC issues.

Tom

Yep, over here on the left side of Canada even a letter from down the road can take a week, so there will be that sort of thing to take into account too. Luckily my wife is heading off to the U.K. and picking mine up*, otherwise it could well have been into September before mine arrived.

* she thinks she’s there to see her mum.

• Like 1

Only came back in here to make the following observation.

In model shop this afternoon talking to someone in his 70's. His order had been placed by phone by some one for him. He received 3 on Monday and he was really worried that he would be charged for the extra 2 leaving him a bit short of money.

Did my best to reassure him that the extras were misdirected deiveries and that he would not be charged. I'm not sure he was totally convinced.

Mean time I'm still waiting to hear from Locomotion/APC

Edited by 10000

Kitmaster, I assume.

I think London Road Models make one or one very similar.

https://traders.scalefour.org/LondonRoadModels/locos-tenders-chassis/great-northern/

But if you can build one of those and paint it to match the Rapido model then you possibly could have just scratchbuilt a Single anyway.  :mosking:

Jason

• Like 1

Tender talk. Getting the (very neat cast metal) tender top off the frames moulding proved to be a tug of war. The cast metal pillars that take the securing screws exert a tight grip on the rear of the blanking plug! More significantly however the Lenz 21 pin decoder is shorter behind the plug section so replacement of tender body was without difficulty in this respect. Of the prolonged struggle to reinsert the two securing screws, we shall never speak of this again. I had to slightly open out the holes in the footplating to be able to relocate the water pipe mouldings either side of the coal door.

Positive, tender pick up by split axle technique, off the axle ends for an efficient pick up with no incremental friction; Bachmann, Hornby, any other manufacturers, please imitate, this is the way to do it when outside axleboxes are on offer.

I was unaware of that. Who makes this model please?

Made is the term. This is what came with the Kitmaster Stirling single kit. Actually I am being a little slipshod there as it needs a scale 6" or thereabouts taken out of the bodyside height to better represent the preservation tender, among much other work to match the Rapido model. There may well be something superior by now from the London Road Models range.

Well mine arrived at about 1050 this morning, 30 minutes after the earliest estimate and well within the time slot.  The parcel was addressed to "Janson" which means nothing to me, but bore my address and the tracking number I'd been sent by e-mail so I accepted it.  I hope I haven't done anyone out of theirs!

Having duly been amused by the instruction manual, I proceeded to carefully unpack it.  On first impressions, VERY impressed; an opinion which hasn't changed since!  Finish and construction etc. were exemplary in all aspects.

Found one of the side chains was broken, so fitted the replacements which had arrived in the post on Monday.  Also, one of the front frame extensions (above the running plate, in front of the smokebox) was loose so that was easily glued back on and I fitted the other optional details.  I found with the bogie wheel splashers fitted she wouldn't negotiate my 'test track' (a crossover formed by two Peco Code 75 double slips back to back).  I appreciate the model probably wasn't designed to negotiate such curves with them fitted, but they're such characteristic pieces it seemed a shame not to be able to fit them.  So I thinned down and chamfered the front ends from the rear by a mixture of filing and scraping with a sharp blade, and found with them fitted at the furthest outboard setting she would now negotiate the crossover.  Running is excellent although despite pick up from the tender as well as the loco drivers and trailing wheels, she does sometimes 'stagger' slightly on the dead frogs of said double slips.  I wonder whether some extra weight in the tender might help.

Anyway, I dug out some vaguely suitable coaches for her to pull, removed some more obvious anachronisms from the layout, and took these pictures:

attachicon.gifP1020792.jpg

attachicon.gifP1020793.jpg

attachicon.gifP1020798.jpg

Great to see this model all fitted out and 'in context'. Very nice layout and coach, too!

Hello everyone, just had a look on the locomotion website and a new section has popped up on the stirling.

"Firstly we would like to thank everyone for their patience & understanding in the fulfilment of orders for Stirling Single. We are fully aware of the issues experienced with some of our loyal customers receiving duplicate orders which has been caused during upload of all details into the fulfilment system.

We are working tirelessly with them to rectify this issue and have all information on which customers have been sent or received duplicate orders and if needed we will be contact them in due course, we can only apologise for this error happening with what we think is our best model yet!

Due to the high number of calls we are receiving you may see a delay in these been answered but we have added extra staff in to support us during this busy period for Locomotion Models.

Please be rest assured we have enough models to fulfil all pre orders and we will have further info overnight from our fulfilment provider once POD for models have come through the system and we can identify which customers haven’t received there order.

We do hope that once you receive your order you will be very impressed and happy with the final model.

Any customer who has received extra models will be contacted by APC/YDL to arrange collection as we have full tracking information for them."

Edited by Midland compound 1000
  • Like 1

Well, my loco was delivered this morning. The name on the parcel was Johnson, whoever that is. Unfortunately, there were no instructions in the box and the tender lining had a crude bit of repainting so it will have to go back. It certainly is a lovely loco. What a shame there has been such a muddle with the deliveries to overshadow it.

Hi,

Sorry to see that you have received a model that isn’t correct.

Just replied to your pm.

Thanks

Simon

Rapido Repairs UK

Edited by rapidorepairsuk
  • Like 1

An important distinction, as I suspect one will increase in value, but the other will only fall.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I think until the delivery issues are sorted it is unlikely that overseas orders will be shipped.  Recovering wrongly delivered models in the UK will be  a task, getting one back from Timbuctoo or wherever will be an order of magnitude more difficult.

Add to that all of the different "specialities" of foreign addresses and delivery systems and you end up with a real nightmare until the issues are resolved.   In my own case if the name on the package is not correct I simply won't get it.  I have informed Stuart of that.

Still not got my model, but got a chance to see club members model last night, and all I can say is what a stuning model! The atention to detail on it is amazing and from right out of the box it ran beautifully with just the softest hint of a purr. It truly is amazing what can be achieved in RTR these days, and I hope that Rapido go on and produce more British models and that locomotion will commission more new toolings.

If not aware you can check out Rapido's UK website at http://www.rapidouk.com/ and also sign up for the UK edition of their email newsletter to get updates directly.

In addition to the models listed on the website there is

IZA cargowagon twin for Kernow http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/134642-kernow-wagon-iza-cargowagon-twin-van/

GWR class 1600 for Model Rail http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/134707-model-rail-announce-gwr-class-1600-0-6-0pt/

LB&SCR class E1 for Model Rail http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/134706-model-rail-announce-lbscr-class-e1-0-6-0t/

With the kind permission of Mike Trice who took the original photo below, I added my effects to remind us of the great days of steam railways. Will remove if requested.

As I understand it the Stirlings were capable of quite impressive effects, being driven largely 'on the regulator ' rather than with short cutoff . Contemporary accounts mention 'roaring exhaust'.

Race you to Edinburgh? Aberdeen, anyone?  :)

post-7929-0-81667000-1533158598_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Yep, over here on the left side of Canada even a letter from down the road can take a week, so there will be that sort of thing to take into account too. Luckily my wife is heading off to the U.K. and picking mine up*, otherwise it could well have been into September before mine arrived.

* she thinks she’s there to see her mum.

Luxury.

Down here in NZ we are not even on many maps of the world.

Mind you, Hattons regularly get models from the date of the order to my doorstep in 6 days.  For £6.50.

Locomotion have been fine in the past, it looks like they will get on top of the UK delivery issues. I have paid, have a valid order number, address and email record,  and as has been said before, 'what can possibly go wrong?'

With the kind permission of Mike Trice who took the original photo below, I added my effects to remind us of the great days of steam railways. Will remove if requested.

As I understand it the Stirlings were capable of quite impressive effects, being driven largely 'on the regulator ' rather than with short cutoff . Contemporary accounts mention 'roaring exhaust'.

Race you to Edinburgh? Aberdeen, anyone?  :)

attachicon.gif1_Stirling_Single_GNR_express_4abcde_r1200.jpg

He does it again!

Agreed - hence my joke a few pages ago (post 1406) on my skit of youtube videos. Edited by Clearwater
  • Like 1