MRJ 239

Zero Gravitas

Well, I'm still waiting for it to arrive in West Cornwall, perhaps the last issue being here before anywhere else has caused the delivery service to have a breakdown.

• RMweb Gold

WHS Ealing still has four copies of 238 on the shelf, so looks like it will be after next week before 239 comes in.

Same in our local WHS yesterday (but only 3) and MRJ wasn't in yesterday's magazine delivery as the lady putting them out kindly checked the lists in all the boxes which she hadn't unloaded.  She said it maybe in today (I haven't had a chance to check) but its normal delivery day in our branch is Thursday so it might not be until next week

Ian Allan at Waterloo stock MRJ, they have 239 on the shelf,   they also stock many otherhard-to-find  periodicals not stocked  in WHS etc.

The MRJ 239  article reconstructing the Bachmann class 25 using Hornby cabs   is very interesting.

The article  analyses the  Bachmann product,  documenting the overwidth cab which flattens the curvature of the "forehead" of the cab roof.

Great chassis, superb runners and they used to be so cheap at £39 a few years ago,  I doubt if any other company will tackle the 25 in the future

• RMweb Premium

Bought in Smiths in Shrewsbury yesterday.

I must stop wingeing. A superb issue. I don't actually want a class 25 but if I did then here are the step by step instructions. A track plan for the bSt Ruth article. Lovely article on Hemyock. Even something Welsh. Well done Mr Norman.

Bought in Smiths in Shrewsbury yesterday.

I must stop wingeing. A superb issue. I don't actually want a class 25 but if I did then here are the step by step instructions. A track plan for the St Ruth article. Lovely article on Hemyock. Even something Welsh. Well done Mr Norman.

Same here.

"Strewth" is a very watchable layout, if you've ever seen it at shows (and assuming you can get near it!).

The Class 25 part 2 article is very helpful - no trace of teasing here.

Mr Gravett's wheels on the container, I think I would prefer some pneumatic tyres,

just to soften the shocks from the floor cracks and ridges as they travel along.

I use a sack truck for my paired baseboards, average weight 30kgs the pair.

Going round the houses.......
Chris Lamacraft mentions on page 144 about a previous article of his in MRJ 79 (1995) of his hybrid couplings,

.....so I pulled a copy out and there's some very good architectural modelling by David Measy for a 'possible' layout called Leat Road.
Does anybody know if these buildings etc., ever had a railway attached to them?

St. Ruth, I found it difficult to understand how there could be interference in the running of loco's from the point servo's etc., as apparently they are on different power supplies, and presumably the earth and/or common return is only connected back at the 240V stage of the supply, back beyond any transformers.

As I live about 4 miles west of PZ station, I think they have captured the area very well.
... and of course excellent 2FS modelling.

Penlan,

As far as I know (and I haven't heard any better explanation from the rest of the group since...) the latest theory is when the loco wheels meet some dirt on the track, particularly with the older higher current motors, a small arc is formed at the rail, which generates sufficient RF to disrupt the signal of the servo's in the near vicinity, causing the servo's to travel their entire length and throwing the signal arms all over the place. One particularly memorable test involved running a servo off a completely different power supply, with no signal wire attached to anything, and still making the armature move by skidding a old Farish 08 vaguely close by.

Best Regards,

Chris, the estranged member of the MAG.

Does anyone else think that Roger Lycett-Smith is a bit like the Mrs. Trellis of MRJ? His letters seem to get published so often that I sometimes think MRJ keeps his correspondence in reserve for when they need fillers....!

• RMweb Premium

When I decided to try servos I soon discovered that they are subject to RFI/EMI transmissions that can make their use problematic in some circumstances. There are numerous accounts of older/cruder/heavier draw locos causing servo control issues but this also extends to other factors such as electro-magnets and just the wiring runs themselves. I gave up the fight when I changed to digital servos only to discover that they went haywire as soon as my DCC system was switched on just within their near vicinity - opposite sides of a room!

I converted them to stall motor types running on simple plain DC. No problems now.

Izzy

Many thanks for your replies on the servo prob's, now I more or less understand..
As I'm DC and Fulgerex, I'm not aware of such things.

RE., dear Roger Lycett-Smith, perhaps they do keep letters ready to fill spaces..
I knew Roger from the 70's & 80's at Worcester HMRS meetings, he's an OK guy,

not sure if he's into the internet, I know he was older than me and I'm now 71.

Does anyone else think that Roger Lycett-Smith is a bit like the Mrs. Trellis of MRJ? His letters seem to get published so often that I sometimes think MRJ keeps his correspondence in reserve for when they need fillers....!

Is he the "Robbo" Ormistan-Chant of our times?

Ian

....picked a copy up in Leek today....useful 'heads up' on the new LNER wagon book (copy ordered instantly)....yet again a major 25 rebuild demonstrates how poor the 'should have been better' Bachmann offering actually is for its time....lovely article on St Ruth, probably my favourite 2mm layout.....enjoying the Arun quay and Hemyock articles too, as well as the Hornby RTR coach upgrade.

Another impressive edition of MRJ to sink into an armchair with.

Dave

Archived