Collett 'Bow Ended' Standard 57' Corridor Stock Coaches for 2016

Graham_Muz

So why are mine a much darker crimson?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Good question, John.  Mine has just arrived and on inspection, in such sunlight as there is at this hour, is as dark as yours.  Rob's is more like what I would have expected to see.  Now despite many patient explanations by Brian Kirby my grasp of chemistry is not sufficient for me to understand why red darkens before it fades.  It is difficult to be categorical about this.  The last 'real' blood and custard was applied 60 years ago so any impressions we might all have about how good the model looks must be subject to the degrading of human recall as well as the chemistry involved in painting, photography and printing.  Real coaches were subjected to all types of weather - Dawlish, anyone? - as well as irregular cleaning and other polluting factors.  With all this in mind I am weighting up whether I prefer the crimson/carmine on this coach or the far from convincing effort on the Bachmann auto trailer.  It's a bit like choosing between measles and chicken pox.  Perhaps that pot of faded blood paint was a shrewd purchase ...

As I am one of these fussy P4 types I will be doing something to my coach in the fullness of time.  The glazing should not be as flush as it is in my view: these coaches were among the last that the GWR built before flush glazing was introduced.  The glazing trip is not properly seated on the corridor side but I'm sure that it will be a simple matter to fix it.  The underframe is a great improvement on the Hawksworths, with the correct L section underframe trusses and separately fitted battery boxes.  The bogies look gorgeous!  The gangways are also an improvement on those mis-shapen pig arks applied to the Hawksworths, though I prefer flexible gangways that meet with those on the next coach.  Why, I muse from time to time, should we condemn our 4mm scale passengers to a life of long-jumping?  I love those G shaped grab handles!  They are a pig to fashion from wire and the available etches are to my mind far from convincing.  The roofboard brackets look better than I anticipated so may save me a job.

More thoughts may follow when I've had a proper look!

Chris

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Rob,

Do yours really look like this in daylight, or have they been photographed under some form of artificial light that has rendered a more accurate depiction of carmine?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Taken outside for comparison.

post-126-0-71942000-1456571512_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-68636600-1456571533_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Excuse my question but whatever is.....or more accurately was......an accurate depiction of carmine aka crimson aka whatever?

It surely depended on which workshop did the paint job,the batch of paint/pigment used,the effects of climate/location etc.

Now I know visual memory is a fallible commodity but ,given my years and where I was brought up,I probably saw more of these than most members of this forum .Given too that a digital image on a screen in front of me is not 100% true....but I have to say that from what members like Robin have posted,then I for one have no problem with Hornby on this.

My apologies if I cause a sharp intake of breath .Sorry.

• Like 2

Excuse my question but whatever is.....or more accurately was......an accurate depiction of carmine aka crimson aka whatever?

It surely depended on which workshop did the paint job,the batch of paint/pigment used,the effects of climate/location etc.

Now I know visual memory is a fallible commodity but ,given my years and where I was brought up,I probably saw more of these than most members of this forum .Given too that a digital image on a screen in front of me is not 100% true....but I have to say that from what members like Robin have posted,then I for one have no problem with Hornby on this.

My apologies if I cause a sharp intake of breath .Sorry.

It was also prone to fading, which made a lot of difference.

• RMweb Gold

Just for comparison I couldn't resist taking a shot of it with my Comet kit built coach that I plan to run together.

As I didn't paint these kits I can't verify which paint was used for the 'blood'.

post-126-0-88726300-1456578478_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-78857800-1456578494_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Interesting to see that the GWR C54's are now completely sold out from my retailer of choice - I think that speaks volumes! If these coaches really do sell like hot cakes and are critically acclaimed - and as yet I see no evidence to the contrary - then surely Hornby will knock out a couple of extra livery options and perhaps even diagrams in pretty short order? An E128, K38 and perhaps even an H33 diner would seem like quick wins in that regard. 

On another point - I can't believe how squat the Hawksworths are in comparison to these! These Colletts are taller and seem much more 'voluminous' then their two-decade-older younger stable mates. It's a little jarring when having both in a rake yet I suppose that's a contributing factor to the GWR's idiosyncratic 'higgledy-piggledy' rakes that are so often seen in images of the period. 

I still can't see myself having the bottle to take a tin of Humbrol 67 tank grey to the roofs however. What's everyone's Dutch Courage of choice? 

Cheers,

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Like 1

Perhaps it will be the Western modellers who help Hornby out of the hole it's in then.

It would be nice wouldn't it Rob? Indeed I think we will both be helping them out again later on in the year in form of 4013 Knight of St Patrick. Given the circumstances it may as well be renamed 2016 White Knight!

I've just taken the longest piece of waist-high furniture in the house (given my perennial lack of a layout) which as it happens is the kitchen worktop. Track was laid, and I've managed to lay on a nine coach rake of GWR coaching stock behind my 5016 Montgomery Castle. Bachmann Sunshine coaches and Hornby Hawksworths and Colletts all feature. It looks superb; though I really must kick on with a layout now - I've enough stock for these long trains but nowhere for them to run!

Cheers, 

CoY

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps it will be the Western modellers who help Hornby out of the hole it's in then.

One might hope so - I'll be doing my bit this year with a rake of Colletts to collect in a couple of weeks time then a pretty little blue Peckett to come later when (if??) it arrives.  I would also hope to be doing my bit in future years :) oops didn't mention that did I.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

One might hope so - I'll be doing my bit this year with a rake of Colletts to collect in a couple of weeks time then a pretty little blue Peckett to come later when (if??) it arrives.  I would also hope to be doing my bit in future years :) oops didn't mention that did I.

You going for the Huntley and palmers loco then Mike - to haul your Colletts :-)

• RMweb Premium

In trying to see what the supplied closer couplings are like, I managed to dislodge one of the handrails from the roof/end..... Lost on the floor 4 times, it just did not want to go back in place, even with a small drill opening the hole up. Its now taped to the box.

Has anyone opened their models up? There seem to be a lot of tabs underneath...