Collett 'Bow Ended' Standard 57' Corridor Stock Coaches for 2016

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Premium

Want to create a realistic preserved set?

Get a departmental stock book from around 1980 and find all the bow ended stock in the DW section.

Then pretend they got preserved.

• Like 1

If you are modelling, say, a fictitious GW branch in the thirties, one decision that you could fairly easily justify/defend, would be to run corridor through coaches, detached from an express, and added to your (probably non-corridor) branch set.

All I think you would need to do is have regard to the need for a through portion to be a complete train, i.e. to have accommodation for both classes and brake and luggage.

If you only had room for, say, 3 bogie coaches, you  could add one through coach to your (for the sake of argument) B-Set.  This would not work with the Hornby release, however, because a single through coach is logically a brake composite - I love brake composites,  whole train in a single coach - and Hornby have, so far neglected a brake composite in favour of the rarer and less useful mirrored composites.  

Using the Hornby Colletts, the thing to do would be to run a Van Third (which Hornby insists upon calling a "brake third") and a Composite, thus creating a through portion with accommodation for both classes and brake and luggage.

To add interest, you could add coach roof boards for your Colletts, featuring your fictitious BLT as the destination, e.g. "Paddington - Exeter [where the coaches are presumed to be detached] - Much Snoring on the Moor"

A well-known example of this was the Kingsbridge branch, albeit the coaches concerned were the 70-footers invariably used on Paddington - WOE services.  The winter timetable specified a brake composite, whereas summer traffic upped this to a Van Third and a Composite.

BLT owners are often keen to justify more traffic and variety for such layouts, and so I am surprised how relatively few times I've seen the use of through coaches. 

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 5

Update for arrival dates on the Hornby website, now showing all of the crimson and cream apart from brake left hand as arriving in stock tomorrow (23/02) with the brake l/h being still 9th March. The remaining 3 GWR liveried versions are also brought forward to 23 February. Looks like a boat came in early.

Edit: Scanned back before posting but missed similar update by CoY at 588, the only difference is that one of the crimson/cream coaches is showing as not expected until 9th March.

Edited by rembrow

To those people who are concerned about what formation to run their Collett coaches in

I would say this. I have noted that the BR version has landed on our shores.

By this time, 1950s, almost anything goes as far as formations are concerned. So mix

them up !. Summer holiday trains to the West were a mixture of various EX. GWR types.

( Swindon may have had a standardisation policy with locomotives, but this did not apply

to coaches ), some of these trains even contained coaches borrowed from other regions.

Even cross country trains were a mixture of types, trains of three or four coaches with 

none of the same type within the train.  So have some fun !.

Those of you who are sticklers for tidy coach sets, I have noted some excellent suggestions

in this forum

PS. I will purchase at least one Collett  corridor third to run with my Hornby  Hawkesworth's

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

When we eventually get some maroon versions, I have plans to run a brake of some sort with a Mk1 CK in WR Choc/Cream...

With that in mind, does anyone know please whether the brake 2nds that survived into maroon were mostly L/H or R/H or a mixture. Not that it matters, but if I only buy a couple I prefer to be as accurate as possible.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Update for arrival dates on the Hornby website, now showing all of the crimson and cream apart from brake left hand as arriving in stock tomorrow (23/02) with the brake l/h being still 9th March. The remaining 3 GWR liveried versions are also brought forward to 23 February. Looks like a boat came in early.

Edit: Scanned back before posting but missed similar update by CoY at 588, the only difference is that one of the crimson/cream coaches is showing as not expected until 9th March.

Hornby have just taken payment for a full five car rake in carmine and cream livery, and advise that all five are in their warehouse.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Apologies to GWR modellers, but is it a coincidence that for BR era modellers, both the Bachmann Porthole coaches and the Hornby Colletts are only available in carmine and cream? If the model manufacturers want some cash, why don't they make the models we really want to buy?

• RMweb Gold

Apologies to GWR modellers, but is it a coincidence that for BR era modellers, both the Bachmann Porthole coaches and the Hornby Colletts are only available in carmine and cream? If the model manufacturers want some cash, why don't they make the models we really want to buy?

No doubt in time such things will appear in BR Maroon. Meanwhile,I really want to buy some Crimson&cream Colletts.

• RMweb Gold

If the model manufacturers want some cash, why don't they make the models we really want to buy?

Because they have to get the errors out of them first, and it's better to sell the erroneous models in smaller quantities.

- and Hornby have, so far neglected a brake composite in favour of the rarer and less useful mirrored composites.  

For this pattern of coach, the Brake Compo (E128) is a rarer beast than the Compo (E127). It looks to be 22 E128s (Lot 1350) vs. 43 E127s (Lots 1351 and 1373). Add the 62 similar E132 Compos (Lot 1382) and the Brake Compos were very outnumbered.

The build of 58'41/2 x 9'0 Bow-ended coaches appears to be (from Harris):

Lot 1346 K38 Vans (Ocean Mails) - 6

Lot 1349 H33 Composite Diners - 4

Lot 1350 E128 Brake Compos - 22

Lot 1350 E127 Compos - 12 (to make 6 six-coach sets)

Lot 1351 C54 Thirds -12 (to make 6 six-coach sets)

Lot 1352 D94 Van Thirds - 12 (to make 6 six-coach sets)

Lot 1354 D94 Van Thirds - 7

Lot 1365 C54 Thirds - 6

Lot 1369 C54 Thirds - 79

Lot 1371 C54 Thirds - 2

Lot 1372 C54 Thirds - 24

Lot 1373 E127 Compos - 31

Lot 1374 C54 Thirds - 32

Lot 1375 D95 Van Thirds - 32

Lot 1382 E132 Compos - 62

Lot 1383 C54 Thirds - 86

Lot 1384 D95 Van Thirds - 46

Lot 1395 C54 Thirds - 39, J10 Sleeper Thirds - 3, C57 Third - 1

Lot 1398 E136 Compos - 4 (to make 2 six-coach sets with the last 4 C54s from Lot 1396)**

Lot 1399 D104 Van Thirds - 4 (to make 2 six-coach sets with the last 4 C54s from Lot 1396)

Lot 1400 G58 Third Saloons - 10

Lot 1411 C58 Thirds - 50*

Lot 1412 D104 Van Thirds - 12*

between Oct 1926 and Aug 1929

* these were 13/4" narrower.

** these were 13/4" narrower and 1' shorter

Adrian

The C54 is already showing out of stock Rob. Wow!

Now very much showing as in stock on the morning of the 23/02 - panic over! Now the question is; will Hornby have produced more C54's than the other types, because that's the one that is going to be in the most demand. I would think that most GWR and WR modellers will want the C54, D95 & E127 in gradations of the following ratios: 5:3:2.

Time will tell - at least there isn't a FK to gather dust on shelves well into 2020!                                 

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire

• RMweb Premium

When we eventually get some maroon versions, I have plans to run a brake of some sort with a Mk1 CK in WR Choc/Cream...

With that in mind, does anyone know please whether the brake 2nds that survived into maroon were mostly L/H or R/H or a mixture. Not that it matters, but if I only buy a couple I prefer to be as accurate as possible.

Andrew, if you are looking at being accurate you would need to check that your Collett brake was fitted with adaptor gangways to connect to the Pullman gangways on the CK. I'm not aware of any reference list for this, so photos might be your best bet.

• RMweb Premium

Andrew, if you are looking at being accurate you would need to check that your Collett brake was fitted with adaptor gangways to connect to the Pullman gangways on the CK. I'm not aware of any reference list for this, so photos might be your best bet.

Thanks. I appreciate there is/will be a gangway issue to resolve, but before worrying about that I need to decide which (R/H or L/H) brake 2nd to buy.  And here lies the problem; I haven't found any clear colour images of these Collett brakes in BR maroon late in life to know which, if either, predominated.

The C54 is already showing out of stock Rob. Wow!

Now very much showing as in stock on the morning of the 23/02 - panic over! Now the question is; will Hornby have produced more C54's than the other types, because that's the one that is going to be in the most demand. I would think that most GWR and WR modellers will want the C54, D95 & E127 in gradations of the following ratios: 5:3:2.

Time will tell - at least there isn't a FK to gather dust on shelves well into 2020!                                 

CoY

Or 2:2:2 to make one of the six coach sets (LH D95, C54, RH E127, LH E127, C54, RH D95).

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle
  • Like 1

Or 2:2:2 to make one of the six coach sets (LH D95, C54, RH E127, LH E127, C54, RH D95).

Adrian

You have point there Adrian, but I think the ratio split will very much depend on the date from which the 57ft BE coaches ceased to be run in uniform six coach sets. What date is currently agreed on for this; around 1928/1929? I still feel that the majority of both GWR and WR modellers model periods after this date, and so the C54's will be wanted in greater quantities than the D95's and E127's as a result. 

Moreover, there were 280 C54's built, 78 D95's built, and 43 E127's. The ratio for this is: 6.5:1.8:1, so it will be interesting to see if Hornby have calibrated their production runs of each diagram to in anyway reflect this. 

CoY

• Like 1

I can breath a sigh of relief,my pre-order is now in stock. Well that is the van thirds that everyone else has had for the last fortnight. I've asked them to hang onto them until all the others arrive and send them all at once.

I was beginning to think that after whinging about the lack of GWR coaches I was going to be the only one without any.

Edited by rovex

Moreover, there were 280 C54's built, 78 D95's built, and 43 E127's. The ratio for this is: 6.5:1.8:1, so it will be interesting to see if Hornby have calibrated their production runs of each diagram to in anyway reflect this. 

CoY

There's a first time for everything ...

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Could someone confirm if I have interpreted the L/H v R/H layout correctly from the Hornby website pictures.

If I stood in the Guard's compartment and looked up the coach, a left hand coach has the compartments to the left and the corridor to the right.

Have I got that right?

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Could someone confirm if I have interpreted the L/H v R/H layout correctly from the Hornby website pictures.

If I stood in the Guard's compartment and looked up the coach, a left hand coach has the compartments to the left and the corridor to the right.

Have I got that right?

Thanks

And while getting an expert opinion, why are the Composites LH and RH :surely they could just turn the coach round for the best view of the sea!