Collett 'Bow Ended' Standard 57' Corridor Stock Coaches for 2016

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Premium

AC Models Eastleigh have both handed brakes in GW livery; I didn't see any crimson/cream but I wasn't looking for them.

Crimson/cream versions are due in early March according to communications I have received regarding my pre-orders.

Have the re-issued Bachmann Sunshine coaches got flush windows now?

I'll try to remember to look. They're not handy to me at the moment.

Unfortunately not.

Thank you. I forgot to look at them when I got home last night. (I wasn't home when I posted.) I didn't think they were tooled any differently.

• RMweb Gold

Crimson/cream versions are due in early March according to communications I have received regarding my pre-orders.

That's correct, I am told the remainder of the Chocolate and Cream ones are due then too :) may arrive early though!

• RMweb Premium

I thought you might like to see my brand new, never run, first time out of it's box, Hornby D95 RH:

post-6208-0-60010300-1454714971_thumb.jpg

However I also have this one:

post-6208-0-05953800-1454715015_thumb.jpg

I think you will guess which one is the new release!

(Spot the mistake in the windows on the top one).

Keith

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

My D95 arrived from Rails this morning. It is even better in the flesh that any of the pics have revealed! A long while back during the Design Clever debacle I made a statement saying I hoped Hornby never touched any GWR carriages (mainly in ref to toplights). I'll happily eat any hats going, with lashings of humble pie on the side. These are exquisite!

• Like 2

Seems like many of us have taken delivery of the two D95's this morning - a happy communal event for us GWR fans! I wish to echo others by saying how exquisite they are and at £35 a go they are a bargain. 

Cant wait for the remainder to appear now - can start to assemble prototypical scratch rakes from these, the Bachmann Colletts, Hawksworths (some of the TK's & BTK's just, just made it into service by 1947!), and the handful of kitbuilt coaches that I have. Bliss!

Bravo Hornby!

CoY

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The thing I noticed with the old style D95 is that they have the compartments on the wrong side.

The side visible has the window pattern for the LH version (corridor side) but with the compartments as for the RH!

Keith

• Like 1

I've just had to poke my nail behind the handles to confirm they were individually applied.  :mosking: I wasn't expecting that on a £35 coach!

Careful! You do know that Hornby's separately-applied parts had a reputation for flying off at the slightest touch?

The GWR livery radiates so much beauty and elegance. These coaches look superb and their quality looks outstanding...!! It gives you hope when one of company's announces the long desired Toplights... :)

Personally, I am going to at least get the Hornby Colletts out of the box before wishing for something else.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 7

The thing I noticed with the old style D95 is that they have the compartments on the wrong side.

The side visible has the window pattern for the LH version (corridor side) but with the compartments as for the RH!

Keith

Does it? It's a D95 r/h, and the side visible is the compartment side. While it is correct in that the guards compartment windows (on the compartment side of the coach) were definitely wrong, the windows on the corridor side seemed correct to me, and the interior has the corridor on the corridor-window side.

• RMweb Premium

Does it? It's a D95 r/h, and the side visible is the compartment side. While it is correct in that the guards compartment windows (on the compartment side of the coach) were definitely wrong, the windows on the corridor side seemed correct to me, and the interior has the corridor on the corridor-window side.

I'll have to have another look

It didn't look right against either of the new releases!

Keith

If the droplights are a little red, the weathering of the cream will surely mute it. Colour pictures from the 1930's of expresses - even those behind Kings and Castles - show that no two coaches would normally have matching cream, and the cream varied all the way from ex-paintshop/well cleaned to a match with the chocolate below.

I shall have to prevent my wife from gaining knowledge of these, as one grandpappy spent his entire career at Swindon on carriage work, from apprentice joiner to foreman, 1905 - 1956.

• Like 2

GWR coach droplights and bolections were Venetian Red in the days of full paneled coaches, but were listed by the GWR as Mahogany by the late 1920's. If they are 'a little red' it would be an easy matter to go over them with darker paint using a cheap bow-pen. Surely it is a long-held tradition that when railway modellers chose to make use of inexpensive RTR models, they expect to customise them occasionally. 

• Like 5

Are the buffer heads the right diameter?

They do look a little undersize - they should be 18" diameter and are an essential part in giving the correct look to the end elevation.  The Hornby Hawksworth stock had the same error and it does make a difference once corrected.

Gerry

P.S. Note - no 'e' in Hawksworth!

• Like 1

Are the buffer heads the right diameter?

Queue - BUFFERGATE

hundreds of posts on the lines of, "why oh why, can't Hornby get this right - I'm never going to buy one of these coaches if they can't even get the buffers right - etc ad nauseam"

Personally I can live with it, just glad to have some decent coaches (buffers aside) for my infinitely delayed BR Western Region layout

Dean

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

They do look a little undersize - they should be 18" diameter and are an essential part in giving the correct look to the end elevation.  The Hornby Hawksworth stock had the same error and it does make a difference once corrected.

Gerry

P.S. Note - no 'e' in Hawksworth!

I think that you're correct - but a certain Adrian Swain* should be able, on his return to full health, to supply buffers with the correct sized heads.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

* Ooops - where's the mouthwash !! (See ABS temporary closure thread - this just goes to prove my point about ABS components being indispensible).

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Queue - BUFFERGATE

hundreds of posts on the lines of, "why oh why, can't Hornby get this right - I'm never going to buy one of these coaches if they can't even get the buffers right - etc ad nauseam"

Personally I can live with it, just glad to have some decent coaches (buffers aside) for my infinitely delayed BR Western Region layout

Dean

Correct sized turned steel heads, and without Hornby's funny edges, are available from 51L Models, Pack of 20, Ref: UC 022. Springs included.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling