Collett 'Bow Ended' Standard 57' Corridor Stock Coaches for 2016

Graham_Muz

At the country end of the platform at Paddington, so the toffs have to elbow their way past the plebs on their way to the ticket barrier!

On the other hand where I come from 1st class i always towards the rear so the smoke and noise from the engine is less...    :)

I've just had a confirmatory email that both of the composites and the all 3rd that I pre-ordered are now in stock awaiting my collection (along with the Brake 3rds already in stock).   :locomotive: Now, how am I going to sneak these indoors without the authorities knowing?  :secret:

I'll have to pop out on Saturday afternoon on an 'errand'... :whistle:  

• RMweb Gold

At the country end of the platform at Paddington, so the toffs have to elbow their way past the plebs on their way to the ticket barrier!

It will always be wrong 50% of the time then, or do the ends magically flip around when the train reaches the station at the other end of the line?

And while getting an expert opinion, why are the Composites LH and RH :surely they could just turn the coach round for the best view of the sea!

I understand that one of the reasons for right/left handed composites was not only to ensure that the corridors were on the same side but also that if their was a dining car between the two composites the first class section of each composite would be arranged closest to the dining car. This ensuring the upper classes didn't have too far to walk for dinner. Well according to Harris anyway

It's been asked before on both this very thread and others yet I can't find an answer: were the R/H & L/H E127's built in equal numbers? Or would I be right in assuming that there would only be 6 L/H's built for the six 6-coach sets, with the balance of the E127's being R/H - as all the very similar E132 diagram were? It can't have been a 50/50 split anyway as there were 43 of the beasts!

CoY

Didn't the toffs use the taxi's and their personal limo's which pulled right up next to the up train platform at Paddington.

Edited by autocoach

• RMweb Gold

I understand that one of the reasons for right/left handed composites was not only to ensure that the corridors were on the same side but also that if their was a dining car between the two composites the first class section of each composite would be arranged closest to the dining car. This ensuring the upper classes didn't have too far to walk for dinner. Well according to Harris anyway

So that's probably why no all first class coaches were built , it would be too far to walk for lunch the entire length of a coach, so half a first class coach either side of the restaurant car saved all that walking. Now when do we get the restaurant car to go with the pair of composer?

So that's probably why no all first class coaches were built , it would be too far to walk for lunch the entire length of a coach, so half a first class coach either side of the restaurant car saved all that walking. Now when do we get the restaurant car to go with the pair of composer?

Auto-typo there, should read compos.......

It will always be wrong 50% of the time then, or do the ends magically flip around when the train reaches the station at the other end of the line?

Everyone knows that London is more important than anywhere else. Also, most of the other "important" GWR stations weren't termini, and also the plebs had thinned out a bit away from London.

It's been asked before on both this very thread and others yet I can't find an answer: were the R/H & L/H E127's built in equal numbers? Or would I be right in assuming that there would only be 6 L/H's built for the six 6-coach sets, with the balance of the E127's being R/H - as all the very similar E132 diagram were? It can't have been a 50/50 split anyway as there were 43 of the beasts!

CoY

Even John Lewis does not know and there is very little about GW coaches that he does not know.  If we do not know what the numbers of the LH versions were, and I understand that the official registers do not say, I'm not sure how we can be sure of how many were built.  My own view is that, as you say, only the composites built for sets included LH and RH examples.

Someone put there must know.  Come out, come out, wherever you are!

Chris 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Mine arrived today from Hornby. Superb models.

The courier has delivered my rake of five.

Whilst the standard of modelling and detail is superb, I'm not sure that I can live with Hornby's interpretation of carmine. I suspect that some very careful masking and a respray with Precision (ex-Cherry) Faded Crimson will be called for to correctly portray late 50s / very early 60s condition.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Picked up a corridor third from East Somerset Models this morning. Looks good. Just buying the one though for a gash WR set that may see the occasional outing on Gurney Slade. It may be making it's way into the shops this afternoon to be given a run-down look.

Could someone confirm if I have interpreted the L/H v R/H layout correctly from the Hornby website pictures.

If I stood in the Guard's compartment and looked up the coach, a left hand coach has the compartments to the left and the corridor to the right.

Have I got that right?

Thanks

Correct, but the usual way of looking at it is that, viewed from the corridor side, the non-third section is on the 'handed' end. I.e. a LH van third has the van at the LH end while a RH Compo has the first-class section on the RH end.

Adrian

Have you any idea when Hornby will be supplying you with your allocation from the second batch of deliveries? You seem to be the last of the outlets to be so blest.

Oh I don't know, the people I pre-ordered from must have been among the last - not that I blame them.

• RMweb Premium

Correct, but the usual way of looking at it is that, viewed from the corridor side, the non-third section is on the 'handed' end. I.e. a LH van third has the van at the LH end while a RH Compo has the first-class section on the RH end.

Adrian

Thanks for that clarification, Adrian

Graham