Collett 'Bow Ended' Standard 57' Corridor Stock Coaches for 2016

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold

The answer to that is yes. Please remember that a great many excursion trains ran from the valleys to a variety of destinations. There were Sunday School trips,excursions to Barry Island,RAF St. Athan ...aka Gileston...via Wenvoe,for example. This once besported a slip coach! Then there were massed school excursions.No motorways then,remember. One sticks in my memory. That was one from Aberdare Low Level to Windsor in July 1953.,the year of the Coronation and also the year I passed my 11+. Our Junior School joined en masse at Aberaman. It was halued by a pair of 56XX as far as Bassaleg Junction via the Ponty viaduct etc. There Hall 4969 "Shugborough Hall" completed the return journey .I remember a river trip to Chertsey being included. The excursion stock included the usual GW "ragbag" and that means Colletts. Don't forget the Vale Of Neath line too.

I think that it was at Gileston that the ticket office clerk had severely impaired vision - presumably not advised to the authorities. One could only buy a very limited range of tickets (three so the story goes) which he knew where to find by touch. (Sorry, OT)

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

• 4 weeks later...

Delivery Update!!!

Hornby's website has changed with delivery now expected from 4/2/16 to 11/3/16 depending which model and colour you want. I thought end of January was a touch unrealistic but as mere mortals we can only go on the information published. I'll see if I can find my crystal ball at the back of the cupboard and give an update when I feel the force!

• RMweb Premium

4th Feb would suggest they are already on the high sea.

11th March suggests they are still being made....

I think it's 6 weeks from China to the UK.

The GWR stock is either 4th Feb or 11th March....

• RMweb Gold

Didn't realise they were that close to delivery.This will make the formation of an authentic GWR/ WR rake in r-t-r achievable at long last.A less desirable outcome is the inevitable diminution of a certain number of bank balances,mine being one.I can feel the horsehair seat stuffing now......see the exciting sepia photos of Torquay above my head,lift the strap handle of the window,feel,the blast of fog and smut as it thuds into the door frame....stick head out as train grinds to halt at platform.The final flourish comes with a deft twist of the right hand on the outside door handle....or for those of a less adventurous disposition,a thumb and forefinger-challenging squeeze of a Swindon door catch.Exit onto platform.Slam door shut behind you.Satisfying sound. Journey 's end.

• Like 5

A little birdie told me just yesterday that the first ones may already be in the UK!  That may have been wishfull thinking though as It was a trader that told me and I think he is expecting them to sell like hot cakes.

What ever - I am expecting my bank account to take a hammering quite soon!

Now that there are online pictures of all these coaches (and thanks for the heads up) I was looking at them to figure out how they could be ordered in a formation.

I had assumed that the brake 3rd LH and RH would have the guards end mirrored. They are photographed with the guards end to the right and one side shows the compartment side and the other shows the corridor side, so I presume this works.  

What I was trying to sort out was how the 'handed' composite coaches would be positioned  - presumably the first class sections would connect in the middle with 3rd ends out?

Each of the LH+RH pairs appears to be sequentially numbered.

• Like 2

Its the last part of Hornby's description that interests me,

'with several managing to escape scrapping when they were converted for departmental use during the early 1960s.'

Has anyone got a link to any of these coaches in departmental use. 

• RMweb Premium

Its the last part of Hornby's description that interests me,

'with several managing to escape scrapping when they were converted for departmental use during the early 1960s.'

Has anyone got a link to any of these coaches in departmental use. 

Several C54s on Paul Bartlett's site here http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/gwrdeptcoach. The captions say 'toplight' but they're not.

• RMweb Premium

A reminder of the livery spec the first batch are coming in.

attachicon.gif11402535_10152858686230843_8144602068905554932_o.jpeg

Given the Bristolian set is alleged to be GWR Shjirtbutton, I wonder how long this 1920's livery will be around for.... Shirtbutton being the true livery for mid-30's

Given the Bristolian set is alleged to be GWR Shjirtbutton, I wonder how long this 1920's livery will be around for.... Shirtbutton being the true livery for mid-30's

The twin shield, which was used on carriages from 1927 to 1934, is probably more representative of the mid 1930's than you think when one considers the amount of coaches carrying this livery by the time the shirt-button started being applied on new and repainted stock. Going off how long it took BR maroon to make any serious impact, it is probable that most GWR coaches were still carrying the twin shields even in 1937 even though on paper the circular totem lasted some nine years until replaced in 1943.

Edited by coachmann

Larry, any chance you can run through what is needed to change the Hornby livery to the post war Hawksworth version.

Hornby coach bought in 1930 double waist livery. :-

Spray roof dark grey.

Add brown band below gutter and line out yellow & black. Go over double waist lining with same yellow.

Remove all insignia.

Replace with Hawksworth post-war yellow insignia with GREAT   UU   WESTERN below waist.

Some modellers believe the GWR adopted a yellower cream after the war. I never bothered. It's up to you. 

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

Spray roof dark grey.

Add brown band below gutter and line out yellow & black. Go over double waist lining with same yellow.

Remove all insignia.

Replace with Hawksworth post-war yellow insignia with GREAT   UU   WESTERN below waist.

Some modellers believe the GWR adopted a yellower cream after the war. I never bothered. It's up to you.

And there you have it from a master at his craft.

• RMweb Gold

Spray roof dark grey.

Remove all insignia.

Do I need to remove the THIRD on the doors .

Do I need to remove the THIRD on the doors .

If the Hornby coach carries 1930 livery it will also have gold shaded black insignia. This needs to be replaced by Hawksworth postwar block style yellow insignia if adapting the livery to suit post-war GWR.

There was a period (1933-37) when third class markings were not applied to doors......A photo of an ex-works E157 taken in 1937 shows no marking while a photo of an ex-works E158 taken in 1938 shows third class door markings. Thereafter the appropriate doors carried third class markings and this continued on the post-war GWR livery. On the models I painted in the 1970s,80, and 90s for customers I always put on the third class door markings following a complaint that I had "forgotten" to put them on. It was historically correct to leave them off but customers considered their models looked wrong...

Edited by coachmann

The above window brown band can be a bit hit and  miss and wasn't always lined. here is Hawksworth livery as intended on a Collett.

post-9992-0-21951900-1452948429_thumb.jpg post-9992-0-14696100-1452948422_thumb.jpg post-9992-0-49578600-1452948881_thumb.jpg

But sometimes no band at all

post-9992-0-28113400-1452948424_thumb.jpgpost-9992-0-37735600-1452948426_thumb.jpg

And sometimes a thin band but no lining.

post-9992-0-00805900-1452948428.jpg

My late uncle was an apprentice in Swindon carriage works at this time, and from his limited memory, it was a period that only stock that needed a full repaint got the full Hawksworth treatment, otherwise it was a patch up and return to traffic such was the chronic carriage shortage. It also depended on how busy the paint shop was with new build stock. Otherwise, double waitsband lines and new emblems only. This would involved painting over the GWR above the crest and putting the GREAT WESTERN either side of the existing shields.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

Thanks Mike. I am sure this information will be useful to those who dont have the tools to add a brown band and lining in the eaves panel. As you say, it was hit and miss. When replying to queries on post-war livery, i always play safe and quote the official livery. I rather suspect the very thin band with no lining is actually a black line, something that featured on pre-war simple livery (as well as down the vertical end of each side).

Something I omitted to mention in my earlier post was the double lining in 1930 was 'boxed' off with vertical lining at the extreme ends. It was not a feature of post-war double lining.

LG

Edited by coachmann