Collett 'Bow Ended' Standard 57' Corridor Stock Coaches for 2016

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold

Very. Two clear plastic clips at each end and a tongue and slot in the middle of the sides. Start by easing a thumbnail under the middle of the side where it meets the chassis.

attachicon.gifWEB GWR BE chassis.jpg

I don't have any of these but do have some LMS suburbans which look to be the same method of attaching body to underframe. They come apart quite easily, but note the trusses are very delicate on the LMS ones. When you apply pressure (at the wrong places) to put them together again they snap easily. How do I know this? Well......

Trouble is, having discovered the wrong way to do it, I found it quite difficult to snap the top and bottom back together by applying pressure in safe places!

So, I wanted to ask the old chestnut - how many D95's were left handed, and how many were right, and same for the E127 composites? As mentioned by others a long while ago on this very topic, both Russell and Harris make no mention of these breakdowns. Something in the back of my mind tells me this wasn't a 50/50 split, and that right handers predominated? Any insight would be appreciated! 

Cheers, 

CoY

I'm at work so don't have any books to hand, but doesn't "Harris" have some information on this. I'll check when I get home

Dean

• RMweb Gold

The LH and RH brakes and composites used odd numbers for one and even numbers for 'tother. LH corridor coaches had odd numbers.  Further notes and details can be found in Model Railway Constructor for January & February 1968, which I no longer have.

However photos  - not that there are many - don't necessarily bear that out.

There seem to be no decent records available of how many were LH or RH and while several sources (possibly copied from each other) show the numbers as allocated in blocks which can be read as blocks against LH & RH.  But what appears to have happened is that as vehicles were built they were simply given a number from the block which happened to be in use at the time.

• RMweb Premium

Would a 5 coach rake of these be prototypical?  I know I've got various books on GWR and in most cases the coaches seem to be a mixture not a nice homogenous rake.  If a 5 car rake is a goer  what would be suggested make up?

Would a 5 coach rake of these be prototypical?  I know I've got various books on GWR and in most cases the coaches seem to be a mixture not a nice homogenous rake.  If a 5 car rake is a goer  what would be suggested make up?

I'm sure that some were built as sets and equally sure that some were built for 'general service'.  Some time ago I totted up how many of each were constructed but I am one of the untidiest people on the planet and guess what, I cannot now lay my hands on the gen.  I feel a rummage coming on ...

As for body contours, Collett was nothing if not indecisive and at one time vehicles of three different profiles were being turned out at the same time.  Much can be learned from studying photographs and moving pictures but Larry Coachmann is quite right to point to sets consisting of varying contours and piebald liveries.  The latter were found simply because it was impossible to repaint an entire fleet at once!

I do hope that Hornby have ordered sensible numbers of each coach.  When I do find the info I expect it to tell me that there were more corridor thirds than all the rest put together.

It may help if I remind inmates about the types of sets used on secondary work.  My knowledge of GWR times is limited but I have learned a bit about life in BR days.  Perhaps the most common was the M set, comprising brake third, third, composite and brake third.  Try finding a uniform set of those!  What mattered was the right number of first and third class seats.  Many of these sets worked multi-day diagrams in circuit with perhaps four or five others.  Some lines called for three coach sets, others five.  It depends.

Chris

• Like 1

Given what is now available, it would probably be more prototypical, depending on era, to have a train of these, mixed with Bachmann Colletts and Hornby Hawksworths.

• RMweb Premium

So far I'm only modelling BR(W) . I've already got Hawksworths in maroon and crimson/cream . But I'm thinking of backdating to GWR and these coaches just look superb , so really thinking of picking up a set. Thanks for the response guys.

Right then, I've done some sums based on the lot number index in Harris.

Brake thirds: D94 [not modelled by Hornby, similar to D95 with one less compartment] - 19.  D95 [in Hornby range] - 78.

Composites: E127 [in Hornby range] - 43.  E132 [not modelled by Hornby, one foot shorter than E127] - 51.

Thirds: C54 [in Hornby range] - 246.

Brake composites: E128 [not modelled by Hornby but coveted, by me among others] - 22.

Chris

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Do you reckon the gangways will be touching on a rake of these.

Not with tension locks and probably not with Hornbys own 'close coupler'. Based on previous super detailed coaches they have produced it will either be two genuine Roco close couplers that are required or a mix of one Roco and one Hornby to get gangways touching.

• RMweb Premium

Well done Hornby - again, and well done Derails Models for a prompt turn around of my order....

attachicon.gifWEB GWR BE brake 3rd 1.jpg

Another thanks to Derails.

I have ordered the two brakes and was sent an e-mail to say that the postage on despatch was less than the amount shown when I ordered, so I wil be getting some money back. I haven't had that before!

Just waiting for the coaches to arrive on doormat!

Keith

• Like 3

Having gone through the 1930's Soole collection (including images not published in GW in 30's 1&2)  there is only ONE image of a Collett 1925 stock only train. It has been published in GW in the 1930's vol 2 image 183. D95, E127, E127,C54,D94,  the latter being the 3 comp version of the D95 not produced by Hornby. Since the updated Colletts were announced, several of us having been looking for any other images of complete Collett 1925 stock trains as intended by Swindon. Apart from official views we have not found any....yet.

Mike Wiltshire

It isn't too surprising Mike. The GWR had a lot of virtually new 57ft and 70ft coaches not to mention rebuilt ex-Ambulance coaches on its roster by the time the Bow-Enders were completed. The first complete GWR trains of 'normal stock' must have been the Cornish Riviera sets of 9' 7" wide coaches.

• RMweb Gold

Another thanks to Derails.

I have ordered the two brakes and was sent an e-mail to say that the postage on despatch was less than the amount shown when I ordered, so I wil be getting some money back. I haven't had that before!

Just waiting for the coaches to arrive on doormat!

Keith

How come Derails have stock but no other retailers don't ?

Hereford Model Centre have both the D95's in stock, and at a very competitive price too (they best the main box-shifters in this regard). Still, it is an erratic distribution schedule on Hornby's part as when I called my local this afternoon they claimed they weren't expecting any Collett's until at least March. 

I was going to wait for the E127's and C54 to appear as well to reduce on postage costs but I just couldn't resist ordering one of each of the BTK's!

CoY

• RMweb Gold

@Keith yes they went recorded so should be with you in a day or so.

@gwrrob Not sure myself to be honest, I think that a few retailers had their orders despatched before the warehouse closed for stock taking, then obviously deliveries stopped then. Might not be the case however.

Edited by Derails Models

• RMweb Gold

Wish the sharpness bridge had been converted to road rather than pulled down, would be nice to have a shop like derail so close to home. Just a shame the river makes an 8 mile trip take over an hour!

Hopefully the thirds and composites are not far behind the brakes, and that my buy and sell listings at the weekend sell fast to pay for them!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Wish the sharpness bridge had been converted to road rather than pulled down, would be nice to have a shop like derail so close to home. Just a shame the river makes an 8 mile trip take over an hour!

Haha yes! It's when you ask Google where the nearest XYZ is and it says Stroud or Cirencester, 4 miles my foot! Either round Gloucester or pay £6.40 for a return trip on the bridge! And £13 if we take the Van I think. Anyway, sorry for the off topic...as you can gather it's and important matter to us "Gloucestershirans"

• RMweb Gold

Haha yes! It's when you ask Google where the nearest XYZ is and it says Stroud or Cirencester, 4 miles my foot! Either round Gloucester or pay £6.40 for a return trip on the bridge! And £13 if we take the Van I think. Anyway, sorry for the off topic...as you can gather it's and important matter to us "Gloucestershirans"

Indeed, if I search for a takeaway it comes up with Lydney. Oddly enough I think after an hours drive my food will be cold!

Model Railways Direct (probably one of the smallest of the "box shifters") in Portishead has them in stock. Ordered the set yesterday, and as everywhere else only the brakes currently in, but still list plenty of them in stock.

I'm ashamed to say, I wasn't aware of Derails until today! :blind:    

• RMweb Gold

I would guess that in 1947/8 the roof of these coaches would hardly be ex Hornby works pristine white.!

Would they be the original roof but with 20 years of random dirt or would they have been re roofed so the appearance would be a more uniform grey?

• RMweb Premium

Had a race from Gloucester to Chepstow once, one lot M5 M4 Bridge, us A48. From east side.

We got there first.

Boring cars as well, small boring late 80s saloons, just driving around the limits, (try going fast on A48), as next time I went that direction I went on my own vehicle and was much quicker, (smaller engine, same power, much more valves, half the amount of wheels)

I would guess that in 1947/8 the roof of these coaches would hardly be ex Hornby works pristine white.!

Would they be the original roof but with 20 years of random dirt or would they have been re roofed so the appearance would be a more uniform grey?

The post-war GWR livery specified gray roofs.