Collett 'Bow Ended' Standard 57' Corridor Stock Coaches for 2016

Graham_Muz

A picture from the Toyfair. The date for these is quoted as July 2016.

Paulattachicon.gifimage.jpg

That date is 4 months later than the current date on the Hornby website, of 9th March. If the later date is confirmed, they must have missed getting the production run completed before the effects of the Chinese New Year celebrations (which will start to impact by the end of this week), as they would need to be shipped before the end of this week to meet the earlier date.

• RMweb Gold

I am lead to believe certain versions of these (R4679, 80 & 81) are now in stock at Hornby, and we should be getting ours in soon. As the warehouse is closed I'm not sure when they'll be despatched but at least we know they're here! :)

Edited by Derails Models

I'm curious about the coach on the shelf below the Collett's. Is it a revamped LMS 12-wheel Diner?

I didn't take any interest so it's unlikely to have been a coach! I think it was a diesel in triple grey livery. I'd be no good as a witness!

Paul

I'm curious about the coach on the shelf below the Collett's. Is it a revamped LMS 12-wheel Diner?

I didn't take any interest so it's unlikely to have been a coach! I think it was a diesel in triple grey livery. I'd be no good as a witness!

Paul

• RMweb Gold

And only about ten minutes after the above post, the R4680 and 81 both arrived. Hopefully the R4679 will be in stock soon as well! :) they do look very nice!

24391234780_1e955d1b90_b.jpgR4680 & R4681 by Derails Models, on Flickr

24660535506_f7751bf86c_b.jpgR4681 by Derails Models, on Flickr

24686747115_ea23491668_b.jpgR4680 by Derails Models, on Flickr

Apologies for the low quality images!

• Like 16

I just had time to take some photos, resize one and post it before we set off for Oswestry. Just got back so I will looks at Hornby's model in detail. First impression though is it's a stonker. I had to have one seeing as we are etching a few GWR coaches and of course it is an easy one for respraying in blood & custard for Ellesmere. If the glazing comes out easy then that's a bonus as I'll do some BR maroon ones as well.

Finally, I thanked Derail Models as I cannot speak too highly of their handling of my order and I gather from posts that RMwebbers are always on the lookout for good efficient model shops. The price was very good too.

I will be back haha...

• Like 6

The GWR D95 Bow-Ended corridor brake thirds were built in 1927 and 1928 and were the first Great Western coaches with slam locks. Below is the compartment side. The inner faces of the window apertures were painted black on real coaches to make them looks flush-sided, something the modeller could add with a draughtsmans ruling pen, but it only applied from 1927 to around 1934. The double-waist livery as carried by the model dates from circa 1930 to 1933 but of course would still be around at least five years later....

post-6680-0-12619800-1454351463_thumb.jpg

Two types of lavatory window appear in photos. Hornby has chosen to represent the one-piece window that dropped back from its base.....

post-6680-0-44086500-1454351408.jpg

The other type could be regarded as the 'standard' type seeing as it was fitted to high-waisted coaches up to circa 1933. Only the top third of the window dropped back. This could be easily 'drawn' onto models if modellers want a bit of variety in their BR coaches, but be careful when choosing running numbers...

post-6680-0-90364300-1454351406.jpg

Roof detail. Note the accurate black line across the end of the roof.....

post-6680-0-67397100-1454354754.jpg

End detail showing suspended gangway...

post-6680-0-70515900-1454354753.jpg

post-6680-0-60409900-1454354752.jpg

Neat 7' w.b. bogies with three stepboards....

post-6680-0-00249200-1454354751.jpg

The finest tie-road between the axleboxes I have ever seen. Tension-lock couplings are not attached to the bogies....

post-6680-0-62701400-1454354749.jpg

I haven't tried removing the glazing as yet. This is the interior pod.....

post-6680-0-47476400-1454355788.jpg

Diagram D92 brake thirds that were rebuilt from Ex-articulated stock were very similar to these coaches but had flat ends and were a foot longer.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 7

If you find out during your repaints of these I'd be interested to know if there is a way to remove the double waist lining without compromising the rest of the paintwork. Be dead handy if I could modify some into the earlier 1928-29 lining (no liningat all?).

Am I right to presume the corridor handrail is printed onto the inside of the glazing?

They do look vey convincing.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for those pics Larry. Hope the bogies appear as spares, they would make nice upgrades for older models.

Hope my Rails order arrives soon!

Oddly enough I was just thinking the opposite, I look forward to the availability of damaged models / clearance so I can get some chassis to go under my 2 comet/Hornby d 95s and h33 restaurant to get them up to a closer standard.

Diagram D92 brake thirds that were rebuilt from Ex-articulated stock were very similar to these coaches but had flat ends and were a foot longer.

D92 was the original artic diagram. D122 was the rebuild and are bow end. Major difference is the lack of steps, hand rails etc at the brake end compared to the D95 and the missing window between double doors and end on the compartment side.

Beware fig 220 in Russell Appendix 1. He claims it to be ex artic D92 no 4202 when it actually a D116.

Mike Wiltshire

Mike Wiltshire

Right, I'm starting to determine how many of these I may initially buy. Like a few other RMwebbers, I'm going to re-livery them into the post-war Hawksworth style, mainly because I would anticipate that, in all reality, Hornby won't do this particularly livery for another year, if not two or more. This is because I would guess shirtbutton next year to marry up with the those forthcoming in the Bristolian trainpack, and then perhaps fully panelled (as a special edition?) versions sooner rather than later. Ergo, I have the gut feeling that the Hawksworth livery will be the last GWR livery to be done (wartime brown not withstanding!). 

So, I wanted to ask the old chestnut - how many D95's were left handed, and how many were right, and same for the E127 composites? As mentioned by others a long while ago on this very topic, both Russell and Harris make no mention of these breakdowns. Something in the back of my mind tells me this wasn't a 50/50 split, and that right handers predominated? Any insight would be appreciated! 

Cheers, 

CoY