Bachmann to produce S Stock for London Transport Museum

Andy Y

I await your article on doing that with GREAT interest.

Speaking in terms of my current EFE models: IMHO, the internal, hidden motorizing parts for me is far easier than making the door openings as well finished cosmetically as the rest of the car. And matching the finish on the home made new doors. I don't think it would be possible to save them after the damage from cutting the openings.

• RMweb Premium

I bet they haven't done the really brilliant thing. . . ..

Made the doors as separate items, so they can easily be removed and motorized without having to cut through the body to make the door openings. . .

Andy

And space for a sound chip and speaker to announce "Minerdoors" in all manner of global accents but stressing the Jamaican ;)

Over the years (but not on the all-synthesised S-stock) I've come across some delights such as "Minotaurs" (or possibly for the Cornish among us it was "Minor Tors") and "Min' den blinking' doors, mon".  Best of the lot was a Victoria Line driver who, clearly becoming frustrated at repeated station overtime, announced "Ladies and Gentlemen.  Those big slidey things are called DOORS.  If you want to get home tonight PLEASE get out of their way and allow them to shut.  On the other hand if you want to stay here all night I'm still being paid and you're not."

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

It's been done before in HO though,

Roco did some but they didn't last long in the catalogue.

I remember one of the retailers at Warley "selling them off" a few years ago.

(I don't think they were particularly cheap though!)

I was quite impressed by the operation of them.

Keith

Guest spet0114

Over the years (but not on the all-synthesised S-stock) I've come across some delights ...

Minador!

(Sounds like a job for Professor Ned Quatermass)

• Like 1

It's been done before in HO though,  SNIP

That wouldn't be something that would affect my decision to build for myself one way or the other. I especially wouldn't want to incorporate a delicate all plastic moulded model railway manufacturer's idea of a mechanism.

Andy

Edited by Andy Reichert

These are a regular on my local line south of Derby over the last few years and make an interesting train being top and tailed by 2 pairs of class 20s usually in BR livery with tea as barriers but just worked out at over £800 an expensive train to model on My layout and I might need to upgrade my controller

Edited by dube

• RMweb Gold

These are a regular on my local line south of Derby over the last few years and make an interesting train being top and tailed by 2 pairs of class 20s usually in BR livery with tea as barriers but just worked out at over £800 an expensive train to model on My layout and I might need to upgrade my controller

They keep the Burton-Leicester line ticking over for sure. What an interesting train they make !

Bit out of place on any layout I might build, but then, Rule 1 would apply.

Having said that lets see if the new low profile motor system works well, as that could be a working prototype for future EMU/Tube train/other* designs from Bachmann. 

Very, very nice looking model though. Captures the look very well indeed. I took the opportunity to sample these when I went to explore the Paddington - Ruislip link on the Parliamentary/Route knowledge preserving run (i.e. the 1136 Chiltern Trains Paddington - West Ruislip). It seems so weird being able to walk through on an underground train, something we take for granted on surface stock, generally. Now fingers crossed for some C and D stock, And maybe some 1973 Tube stock too.

I'd be well up for doing the sound for these. I'll make some enquiries re a recording session but if anyone can fast track this then please let me know ;-)

Bif

Top man Bif. :)

Sorry I missed you at DEMU although Charlie relieved me of a wad of cash! See you next time.

If only LUL had taken on my design for replacement surface stock, which was articulated, Bachmann would not have had the problem of modelling the full-width gangway connections. It is the only disappointing feature of what looks otherwise to be a cracking model.

Does anyone else think those ought to make accordion noises when they move?

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver

BR livery? Anyone got a picture?

• RMweb Premium

So who owns these and why are they still in BR livery?

Apologies for the :offtopic: from S stock.

Possibly Harry Needle and/or Trevor Dean according to various sources. (It can sometimes be difficult to track down the current owner) Nothing to do with BR, but simply painted in a heritage livery. There were a pair or Railfreight grey/red stripe locos on this duty as well as GBRf liveried 20's

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

I have ordered one of these after seeing it at DEMU Showcase, not due for release until September BUT money already taken from credit card on 30th May!!!  :stinker:

Maybe sooner than you think or expect... ;)

When you go to place your order, the LT Museum web site makes it very clear that it is payment in full with the order. So don't think that because they've taken your cash that you will automatically receive the model sooner than the published date of September. 

Edited by GoingUnderground

Seriously mouth watering model at a seriously eye-watering price. Wonder if a sound chip would become avalable...this might tip me over the edge of sanity, loose all control of my wallet.... and actually think about getting one.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Seriously mouth watering model at a seriously eye-watering price. Wonder if a sound chip would become avalable...this might tip me over the edge of sanity, loose all control of my wallet.... and actually think about getting one.

Dave

I was very tempted, but I don't really have a use for one and it would only stay in the box so I have reluctantly decided not to buy one.