Bachmann to produce S Stock for London Transport Museum

Andy Y

I too have received my "golden ticket" email as one of the first customers for the S-Stock. Not living in the UK I shall be unable to attend the launch event so have rescinded my ticket to give someone else not so quick off the mark the chance of a free train ride. I hope somone here who does go can give us a report of the day and maybe even some photos? Thank you in advance.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

1st time for an S7 on the Met? Nooo, they use them most days. Not sure about the destination though.

Stewart

S8 stock is used on the Met, to the best of my knowledge the only S7's to use the Met were in a temporary 8 car formation before being moved to the other sub surface lines in S7 formation. You do occasionally see an S8-1 but its still an S8 train.

Matthew

S8 stock is used on the Met, to the best of my knowledge the only S7's to use the Met were in a temporary 8 car formation before being moved to the other sub surface lines in S7 formation. You do occasionally see an S8-1 but its still an S8 train.

Matthew

Plenty of S7 workings on the Met still. (though usually with an extra S7 coach added). The fully longitudal seating is the giveaway.

My last shifts on - 4 days then 3 days, of 12hrs apiece, saw me on the Met at a few different stations. I took particular note (well I was trainspotting actually) that on EVERY single visit to a Met station over that period I saw an S7(+1) on Met workings (not Circle/H&C/District workings).

Stewart

I'm curious as to who is buying these sets

/ collectors

/ people who travel on these things

/ people who have LT layouts ?

My feeling is that buyers possibly fall into two categories,those who like myself have an interest in London Underground and have been waiting a long time for RTR Underground stock,and those who are ardent LT collector's and will probably do no more than have the set displayed in a case.

Whist i have not ordered a set yet I do intend to acquire one although my layout is anything but LT,apart from several Bachmann LT Panniers, the LT150 Prairie, and the two Class 20's released by the LTM a couple of years ago.

Edited by petee19
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm curious as to who is buying these sets

/ collectors

/ people who travel on these things

/ people who have LT layouts ?

I would hazard a guess that the following apply:

/yes

/yes

/yes

/plus those who just buy "different"

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Matthew

Agreed.  Three (?) S7 sets were temporarily formed with an S8 car each and run on the Met while the other 7 cars were away, I believe, for warranty repairs.  Please correct if wrong.  I myself noted two mis-formed "S8" sets using H&C S7 cars in this manner earlier this year.

• Like 1

Agreed.  Three (?) S7 sets were temporarily formed with an S8 car each and run on the Met while the other 7 cars were away, I believe, for warranty repairs.  Please correct if wrong.  I myself noted two mis-formed "S8" sets using H&C S7 cars in this manner earlier this year.

Yes, three units is correct

• RMweb Premium

Yes, three units is correct

Found my notes

21319-22319-25382-24319-24320-25320-22320-21320

21323-22323-25384-24323-24324-25324-22324-21324

21327-22327-25386-24327-24328-25328-22328-21328

So not "Met" S8 units but strengthened S7 units which will have left sets 21381 --- 21382, 21383 --- 21384 and 21385 --- 21386 unable to run as 6S without their M2 cars.  Though they could be run as 3-car modules paired with another 4-car module.

So - as this isn't quite what I thought it was does anyone know why these sets are mis-formed?  Is it to cover for "genuine" S8 sets away for warranty repairs?

Getting back to the models, the pictures show a representation of the concertina corridor connections but it looks to me like rigid plastic - this will look odd. Bachmann could have fitted low compression rubber connectors which could press lightly against each other, perhaps even enough to stay together around sharp curves.....scope for a stretch-on accessory?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another suggestion for the models:

The blanked-off moulded ends might look better if it was possible to fit small pieces of mirror across them on the insides. Not sure how to go about this, just a loose idea!

- Richard.

Found my notes

21319-22319-25382-24319-24320-25320-22320-21320

21323-22323-25384-24323-24324-25324-22324-21324

21327-22327-25386-24327-24328-25328-22328-21328

So not "Met" S8 units but strengthened S7 units which will have left sets 21381 --- 21382, 21383 --- 21384 and 21385 --- 21386 unable to run as 6S without their M2 cars.  Though they could be run as 3-car modules paired with another 4-car module.

So - as this isn't quite what I thought it was does anyone know why these sets are mis-formed?  Is it to cover for "genuine" S8 sets away for warranty repairs?

'Three trains of S7 have been temporarily formed into eight-car formation for use on the metropolitan line. When these trains revert to S7 formation, M2 cars 25382, 25384, 25836 will each be incorporated into a new build train'

Don't know if that helps at all but that's what a particular book has to say 

• Administrators

Hi all,

I thought I'd share with you some of Andy York's stunning images of the new Bachmann London Underground 'S' Stock. A full review by Ben Jones, complete with more images, appears in BRM's new September issue which is now on-sale.

post-14186-0-98601500-1439455959_thumb.jpg

post-14186-0-35788800-1439455982_thumb.jpg

post-14186-0-98546600-1439455998.jpg

BRM September is available to download as a Digital Edition or can be purchased in shops. All issues come with a free DVD! Or, why not subscribe? Click here for our latest offers.

• Like 3

I am getting increasingly excited, is anyone else, now that reviews of this stunning model are in both BRM and MREMag...we really must be close to delivery!

Seeing as Bachmann recently had a shipment of the 205s, 37s, 43s etc which were due Aug/Sept. I cannot help but think the LTM might beat its 'early September' delivery of our pre-ordered model, stated in an email to the first 250 customers. Maybe just. I am certainly going to be checking the post room every day!

I also hope of the warnings to buy it now while you can in the BRM is true, as I would really like the LTM to commission further limited liveries or a S7!

I fear I have the underground bug!

• Like 2

I'm quite excited too, but the reviews have caught my attention over some let downs over this model. The detailing on the roof and cab isn't as great as it could have been. The conductive close couplings that were used on the MPV and Midland Pullman are featured only on this model as dummies, and I say dummies because there is no electrical connection.

In contrast to the Midland Pullman which features very superb detail and interior lighting. I think Bachmann only did half good as they could have done with this model and the LTM are selling slightly too overpriced. 
Only my view anyway. Pre-ordering an eight car set at £440 and then learning that you will have to spend £100+ for modifications I'm sure can be frustrating for anybody. 

• Like 1

I'm quite excited too, but the reviews have caught my attention over some let downs over this model...The conductive close couplings that were used on the MPV and Midland Pullman are featured only on this model as dummies, and I say dummies because there is no electrical connection.

All bogies along the train have power contacts on their wheels however.

• RMweb Premium

Anyone had any luck nominating someone else to go on the S Stock London day at all?

Turns out I've got an invite but I'm attending my club's own show (Worthing MRC Exhibition, September 26/27th 2015, well worth visiting!) - I can think of others who might enjoy this before my ticket is released, just wondered if anyone had transferred theirs?

Cheers,

James

I also hope of the warnings to buy it now while you can in the BRM is true, as I would really like the LTM to commission further limited liveries or a S7!

I fear I have the underground bug!

I would have thought the economics of having the train tooled up would drive a run of S7's, it would seem an opportunity missed to stop at the one run.

• RMweb Gold

Anyone had any luck nominating someone else to go on the S Stock London day at all?

Turns out I've got an invite but I'm attending my club's own show (Worthing MRC Exhibition, September 26/27th 2015, well worth visiting!) - I can think of others who might enjoy this before my ticket is released, just wondered if anyone had transferred theirs?

Cheers,

James

You just return it to LT by email or pass the ticket to a friend I guess. They would just be you ;)

• 3 weeks later...

According to the KMRC Newsletter, the 'due Sept/Oct' models on the Bachmann site are here and expected to be distributed next week. I am hoping that the S-Stock for the LTM was in the container. Sods Law that I am moving next weekend, would be brilliant if they were indeed in the UK. Anyone been to the LTM today, and perhaps charmed a member of staff into admitting the due date?

According to the KMRC Newsletter, the 'due Sept/Oct' models on the Bachmann site are here and expected to be distributed next week. I am hoping that the S-Stock for the LTM was in the container. Sods Law that I am moving next weekend, would be brilliant if they were indeed in the UK. Anyone been to the LTM today, and perhaps charmed a member of staff into admitting the due date?

The Transport Museum has always said that they will be distributing the models at the special event on 26th September and then posting out the remainder of the pre-orders during the following week. I suspect they already have them in stock, just waiting for the launh date to start distribution.